Where to pull 12v accessory power?

Biolapse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S Unlimited Jl
hey folks. 2018 JL sport here. I want to hardware in a Garmin nav system. I don’t like having wires hanging around so I wanted to hardware it in. I was aiming to put it above the rear view mirror and I am looking to find the best spot to tap off the power. My understanding is there is a spot if you have homelink over the left shoulder, but I don’t have that.
Anyone know any good spots to tap?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Chris: do you have the 12V cigarette lighter like plug in your rig's cargo area? I'm not sure this is on all rigs. I think somehow the presence of a subwoofer in the space may preempt this plug--but I could be entirely wrong as both to when and why this plug is there or not.

I actually plugged a male wire in here with stripped wires at the distal end, and then snaked it under the floor mats and up to the top of the cage over the (driver's side) doors, into the crevice above the windshield and then down at the rear view mirror. I guess this assumes you are mounting your GPS to the windshield and don't regularly take your windshield down.

Note, by factory default this outlet is always on, regardless of whether the rig is cranked or not. A simple fuse move, as detailed in the owner's manual, gets this plug to be in accessory mode, like the cigarette plug up front.

I'm defining accessory mode as only on when the start button is pushed--whether the brake is pressed and the vehicle cranked or not.

Consider moving this fuse if you tap this outlet, so that your GPS doesn't drain your batteries.

FWIW, I needed both accessory and full time power to run a dash cam, which determines when to go into battery conservation mode as a function of when the accessory wires are deenergized...my wires of choice being the homelink buttons you are missing.

BTW: some might suggest you use the vanity mirror wires. I didn't because I found that I couldn't predict when they deenergize after rig shut down, and other members of the forum reported different behavior--but you could try those.

If you want your GPS to shut off when you say so...my initial technique without the fuse move might be your play.

Some tap the higher end mirror wires. There's YouTube videos on that. I don't have that mirror--just the basic one.

Good luck!

lagunajim

Chris: do you have the 12V cigarette lighter like plug in your rig's cargo area? I'm not sure this is on all rigs. I think somehow the presence of a subwoofer in the space may preempt this plug--but I could be entirely wrong as both to when and why this plug is there or not.

I actually plugged a male wire in here with stripped wires at the distal end, and then snaked it under the floor mats and up to the top of the cage over the (driver's side) doors, into the crevice above the windshield and then down at the rear view mirror. I guess this assumes you are mounting your GPS to the windshield and don't regularly take your windshield down.

Note, by factory default this outlet is always on, regardless of whether the rig is cranked or not. A simple fuse move, as detailed in the owner's manual, gets this plug to be in accessory mode, like the cigarette plug up front.

I'm defining accessory mode as only on when the start button is pushed--whether the brake is pressed and the vehicle cranked or not.

Consider moving this fuse if you tap this outlet, so that your GPS doesn't drain your batteries.

FWIW, I needed both accessory and full time power to run a dash cam, which determines when to go into battery conservation mode as a function of when the accessory wires are deenergized...my wires of choice being the homelink buttons you are missing.

BTW: some might suggest you use the vanity mirror wires. I didn't because I found that I couldn't predict when they deenergize after rig shut down, and other members of the forum reported different behavior--but you could try those.

If you want your GPS to shut off when you say so...my initial technique without the fuse move might be your play.

Some tap the higher end mirror wires. There's YouTube videos on that. I don't have that mirror--just the basic one.

Good luck!
I'm not sure yet if the JL fuse box is behind the glove box as in the JK. If it is, locate the fuse for the radio and use one of those $3 taps that plugs into the fuse slot and then has two fuses on top - one for your accessory. Then run the wire up the passenger-side A pillar under the plastic (easy!) and over to the mirror area.

This little gadget is simple and effective - stays put even under jostling. The linked item on Amazon is a sample - you can generally get one at any auto parts.

If you want the power to be constant and not on-off with the key, just choose another circuit to tap into with a relatively low amperage (e.g. another 10A fuse).

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Circuit-Profile-Holder-HitCar/dp/B00U61OO50?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm not sure yet if the JL fuse box is behind the glove box as in the JK. If it is, locate the fuse for the radio and use one of those $3 taps that plugs into the fuse slot and then has two fuses on top - one for your accessory. Then run the wire up the passenger-side A pillar under the plastic (easy!) and over to the mirror area.

This little gadget is simple and effective - stays put even under jostling. The linked item on Amazon is a sample - you can generally get one at any auto parts.

If you want the power to be constant and not on-off with the key, just choose another circuit to tap into with a relatively low amperage (e.g. another 10A fuse).

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Circuit-Profile-Holder-HitCar/dp/B00U61OO50?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4
Jim, lets bring you up to speed. The fuse box, or Power Distribution Center (PDC) is on the other side of the firewall of the glove box, but getting your wire into the rig may be challenging. There's a hole on some (I want to say automatic rigs but I am not certain) near the brake on the driver's side, and this "hard to get wires through" grommet to the right of the glove box and below.

On page 169 of at least my manual are the instructions to move a cylinder style fuse, different from the style of the one in your link.

From the picture in the manual that fuse appears to lie in the rig's PDC (Power Distribution Center) that Bradon Halon accesses in this video for an entirely different reason---just so you know where it's located.

:)

lagunajim

Thanks - I just looked up the JL fuse box and wow, it's a biggie. Attached is a pdf for anyone's convenience.

The fuse for the radio looks to be a typical "blade type" fuse, 20A in this case at location 'F97'. They refer to it as a "micro" on the attached document - I think most of us call it an "ATM" fuse (the larger are "ATO").

I note that this has fuses for the "glow plugs" and also the "urea heater" -- both parts of the upcoming DIESEL version for those who like such things.

There's always a way to get wire(s) through the firewall - just a matter of how much blood you want to leave on your work.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Biolapse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S Unlimited Jl
Thanks everyone. I finally got it, ended up popping a fuse and had to go to the fitting deskership to get it as these fuses are non standard and the two auto parts stores I checked, neither had it.
I ended up tapping off the cigarette lighter wiring behind the dash and ran it up under the interior paneling on the roll cage, stuffed a small dc dc 12v to 5v converter and hacked the usb cord that powers it. :)

emdub

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
hey folks. 2018 JL sport here. I want to hardware in a Garmin nav system. I don’t like having wires hanging around so I wanted to hardware it in. I was aiming to put it above the rear view mirror and I am looking to find the best spot to tap off the power. My understanding is there is a spot if you have homelink over the left shoulder, but I don’t have that.
Anyone know any good spots to tap?

I added a dual USB accessory outlet on top of the dash. I keep my phone on the dash so I can run my dashcam app. Now I can keep my phone charged without running cables to the 12 volt DC adapter.

Tricky parts were cutting the hole in the dash and running the wiring down to the glovebox area... Making the hole on top of the dash was the most stressful part because I was cutting blindly into the dash and not really knowing what was behind where I was making the hole. I did drill a small pilot hole first, then make sure I wasn't going to cut anything.

To make the hole, I had to heat up a hole saw bit and use it to melt the hole. I went this route because I couldn't fit my drill and drill bit on top of the dash without hitting the windshield. And yes, I know I could have just lowered the windshield, but that would have taken more work...

You'll need these parts:
Wiring adapter: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl
USB Socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVNL274/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Short, 90° USB cable (usb type C): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M1TBQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

usb1.jpg

usb2.jpg

PerryR

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler sport
Thanks everyone. I finally got it, ended up popping a fuse and had to go to the fitting deskership to get it as these fuses are non standard and the two auto parts stores I checked, neither had it.
I ended up tapping off the cigarette lighter wiring behind the dash and ran it up under the interior paneling on the roll cage, stuffed a small dc dc 12v to 5v converter and hacked the usb cord that powers it. :)
Which color wire did you tap into behind the 12v?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@PerryR

A better approach to tapping in willy nilly is to use a wiring adapter as mentioned earlier in this thread. The adapter installs easily and cleanly and end result is 12v switched power.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl

Also, CanBus often will have a hissy fit lets say, if it's unhappy with your tap. Spending the $40 for the adapter may very well save you headaches.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@PerryR

What are you wanting to power. I probably should have asked you that before recommending the adapter... Are you adding additional interior lights, a CB or what?

Sponsored

PerryR

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler sport
@PerryR

What are you wanting to power. I probably should have asked you that before recommending the adapter... Are you adding additional interior lights, a CB or what?
An amplifier for a subwoofer

PerryR

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler sport
@PerryR

Ended up using the adapter for my amplifier and it works great.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I added a dual USB accessory outlet on top of the dash. I keep my phone on the dash so I can run my dashcam app. Now I can keep my phone charged without running cables to the 12 volt DC adapter.

Tricky parts were cutting the hole in the dash and running the wiring down to the glovebox area... Making the hole on top of the dash was the most stressful part because I was cutting blindly into the dash and not really knowing what was behind where I was making the hole. I did drill a small pilot hole first, then make sure I wasn't going to cut anything.

To make the hole, I had to heat up a hole saw bit and use it to melt the hole. I went this route because I couldn't fit my drill and drill bit on top of the dash without hitting the windshield. And yes, I know I could have just lowered the windshield, but that would have taken more work...

You'll need these parts:
Wiring adapter: https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/12-volt-power-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl
USB Socket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVNL274/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Short, 90° USB cable (usb type C): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077M1TBQV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

usb1.jpg

usb2.jpg
Looks great!. This will be my next project. I believe the OEM tray is secured with two screws. I will verify this week.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ

You'll need these parts:

usb1.jpg

usb2.jpg
WOW that is exactly what I am looking for, I want to add 2 plugs for a total of 4 USBs. Any tips for running the wires? Additional tips for cutting the holes? Lowering the windshield is not an option for me :/ Any reason the 12v adapter couldn't power two sockets? Thanks for sharing...

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
WOW that is exactly what I am looking for, I want to add 2 plugs for a total of 4 USBs. Any tips for running the wires? Additional tips for cutting the holes? Lowering the windshield is not an option for me :/ Any reason the 12v adapter couldn't power two sockets? Thanks for sharing...
I wonder if it would have been better to just get a cable that would plug directly into the rear of the Radio so you can use CAR PLAY. It seems like you just tapped them for POWER.
Sponsored