Where do i mount resistors?

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
So I got those sequential LED DRLs from amazon, but they came with resistors and I have no clue where to put them, right now I just have them in the fender liner but I know that isn’t ideal. Any tips??
Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Those things can get pretty hot so if you can mount them to something metal to help dissipate the heat that would be a good idea.
Gregj

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So I got those sequential LED DRLs from amazon, but they came with resistors and I have no clue where to put them, right now I just have them in the fender liner but I know that isn’t ideal. Any tips??
@Ran4 just went through this himself. He'll have some insight.

OP
OP
roy2120

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Those things can get pretty hot so if you can mount them to something metal to help dissipate the heat that would be a good idea.
Gregj
Thanks for the reply, so where would you recommend I mount them?

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know which ones you have but I swiped this picture from an Amazon listing.
They usually have two loops to run screws through so screw them to the inner fender like this.
03316CE6-FD73-415C-89D3-6C34C2E7B83D.jpeg

You just have to see how long your wires are and find a good spot.
Gregj

Sponsored

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Yep...I installed these lights a couple of weeks ago. They're working great, but I'll confess that after I first installed them, I wasn't happy with the way I did the resistors, so I pulled the fenders off for a second time, and re-installed the resistors a little differently than I had the first time. They DO get hot! .. especially the one for the DRLs. You can touch it, but you can't hold your hand on it. Here are pictures of what I did. I've already driven two 600+ mile non-stop trips without any over-heating issues.

I used heavy duty two-sided tape along with screws to attach the metal angle brackets to the inner fender, then attached the resistors to the brackets using the included hardware.

Jeep Wrangler JL Where do i mount resistors? Screenshot_20210227-200129

Jeep Wrangler JL Where do i mount resistors? Screenshot_20210227-200138

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Ran4 have you or anyone else with these lights tried changing their settings to LED and run them without the resistors?
Gregj

Ran4

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
@Ran4 have you or anyone else with these lights tried changing their settings to LED and run them without the resistors?
Gregj
Gregj...I have not tried that. I figured that if I have trouble with the way I have them configured now, I would try other options.

OP
OP
roy2120

roy2120

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I don’t know which ones you have but I swiped this picture from an Amazon listing.
They usually have two loops to run screws through so screw them to the inner fender like this.

You just have to see how long your wires are and find a good spot.
Gregj
Yep...I installed these lights a couple of weeks ago. They're working great, but I'll confess that after I first installed them, I wasn't happy with the way I did the resistors, so I pulled the fenders off for a second time, and re-installed the resistors a little differently than I had the first time. They DO get hot! .. especially the one for the DRLs. You can touch it, but you can't hold your hand on it. Here are pictures of what I did. I've already driven two 600+ mile non-stop trips without any over-heating issues.

I used heavy duty two-sided tape along with screws to attach the metal angle brackets to the inner fender, then attached the resistors to the brackets using the included hardware.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I decided to return them due to some fitment issues I saw, maybe someday I’ll reattempt, or I might just go for those fender chops ones! Anyways, thank all of you and have a great day!
Sponsored