Sponsored

When Someone Cuts Through the Windows on my Soft Top...

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
BTW... what is the going monthly rate on garage space in NYC these days?
Back in the '80s I remember my dad paying over $400 a month to secure his Olds 98 in the Bronx.
Depends on where you are, in Manhattan, can cost $1,000 a month, in the South Bronx, you can find a garage spot for $150 a month
Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
Any alarms you can activate with the doors unlocked? I have never had an alarm in any vehicle I have owned and think they are annoying. However, I ordered a soft top and like the OP, I am considering my options. I don’t like the idea of some filthy vandal sitting in my Jeep because the doors are unlocked.

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
Oh, another added bonus that I forgot to mention in the original post, I will have kids car seats in the back...SMH

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have a JLUR arriving in a couple of weeks and it just hit me; I live in the New York Metropolitan area and I have ordered a soft-top only vehicle. I am not concerned about the wind noise or the temperature inside the vehicle in the winter.What does concern me is that someone will eventually try to get into my Jeep. It was an almost weekly occurrence with my 2003 Wrangler soft top. I was very lucky that no one ever tried to cut my roof or windows. I think that was primarily because the windows on that Jeep had zippers. With the new zipperless windows, does anyone have any suggestions? I saw someone mentioned just leaving the vehicle unlocked and not leaving anything inside. Does anyone else have any unique approaches? If not, anyone know where to inevitably buy replacement windows when mine get cut?
Just don't lock your doors. (And, obviously, don't leave anything in the Jeep that's worth stealing.) I'm in the CT suburbs, but even so this is the strategy I've employed. I have the added security of owning a manual transmission, which I'm hoping most thieves don't know how to drive if if they could somehow start the truck.

Sponsored

citzen z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Liberty (Daily Driver), 2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Amateur Astrophysicist and new Jeep Enthusiast
my son has a rubicon with the zipper windows. he gets them unzipped all the time in san diego. he just does not lock the doors now. at least they never destroyed anything

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
One of my initial questions still stands though, if I need to buy replacement windows, where would I get them?

hanksweb

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (ordered)
Don't leave anything in the Jeep and leave the doors un locked. Think about it if they are going to break into your jeep the locked doors are not going to stop them and now you've got to get new windows too. Its not worth it. Someone went into my TJ the other day and found nothing. It would have sucked to buy new windows.
I had a '97 TJ with hard top years ago and someone broke my drivers-side (glass) window for approximately $1.75 in tollway change! That was an expensive and time consuming (even with insurance) fix for less than $2 in loot.

When they say "don't leave anything in the Jeep", take it seriously!

Sponsored

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
Had a neighbor park an Aston Martin convertible in our nice downtown neighborhood in Indianapolis on the street last year. Kids came by and slit the top. Didn’t steal anything. Didn’t even try to steal anything. Just slit the top for fun. Got three other cars in the neighborhood too, but none of the others were Aston Martins. He was livid. (For the record, he owns a luxury dealership, so it wasn’t “his” car).

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I get the concept of leaving it unlocked to just roll over to someone shady, but I had experience in the past with that grabbing the attention of the lower level hooligans. Anything easily taken was removed. Shift knobs, anything with a logo, knobs/buttons, etc would walk away. Some people are just jerks.

I will only buy hardtops now...

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Can you park in a locked garage ? In San Diego the problem with JKs was they wrote down your VIN from the dash , and then went across the border and got a key made by a dealer with the codes ; then came back stole your JK with the coded key , and then drove it away across the border . The solution was a chain attached to the floor , and then wrapped around the steering wheel and locked with a big lock , with a big yellow Club . In your case , you could make a decal with a lightening bolt saying High Voltage .
Yeah, not as concerned about that as New York isn't particularly close to Mexico. I do like the idea of that decal though.
In NY, our VIN is also posted on the registration sticker, which you cannot obstruct by law.

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I've had friends that have left their TJs unlocked (including the console) and the windows were still cut and the console lid broken... never underestimate the power of stupid. Doesn't take much thought to be a thief, adjust your insurance rate/deductible to a comfortable amount vs. risk.

BTW... what is the going monthly rate on garage space in NYC these days?
Back in the '80s I remember my dad paying over $400 a month to secure his Olds 98 in the Bronx.
Depends...Manhattan can see $700/mo+ easy. Out where I am, maybe $350/$400.

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Do people steal kids’ car seats?
People steal Christmas decorations off your porch here. In the middle of broad daylight no less. :swear::facepalm:
Sponsored