Sponsored

When Someone Cuts Through the Windows on my Soft Top...

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
I have a JLUR arriving in a couple of weeks and it just hit me; I live in the New York Metropolitan area and I have ordered a soft-top only vehicle. I am not concerned about the wind noise or the temperature inside the vehicle in the winter.What does concern me is that someone will eventually try to get into my Jeep. It was an almost weekly occurrence with my 2003 Wrangler soft top. I was very lucky that no one ever tried to cut my roof or windows. I think that was primarily because the windows on that Jeep had zippers. With the new zipperless windows, does anyone have any suggestions? I saw someone mentioned just leaving the vehicle unlocked and not leaving anything inside. Does anyone else have any unique approaches? If not, anyone know where to inevitably buy replacement windows when mine get cut?
Sponsored

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I have a JLUR arriving in a couple of weeks and it just hit me; I live in the New York Metropolitan area and I have ordered a soft-top only vehicle. I am not concerned about the wind noise or the temperature inside the vehicle in the winter.What does concern me is that someone will eventually try to get into my Jeep. It was an almost weekly occurrence with my 2003 Wrangler soft top. I was very lucky that no one ever tried to cut my roof or windows. I think that was primarily because the windows on that Jeep had zippers. With the new zipperless windows, does anyone have any suggestions? I saw someone mentioned just leaving the vehicle unlocked and not leaving anything inside. Does anyone else have any unique approaches? If not, anyone know where to inevitably buy replacement windows when mine get cut?
On my JK I just left the top off year round and drove the truck if it was too cold, but that was in Arizona. I think your best option is to not leave anything of value inside. I doubt thieves are breaking into every vehicle they find with hopes of finding a few dollars in the console. They more likely target the guy who left his computer on the front seat

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
On my JK I just left the top off year round and drove the truck if it was too cold, but that was in Arizona. I think your best option is to not leave anything of value inside. I doubt thieves are breaking into every vehicle they find with hopes of finding a few dollars in the console. They more likely target the guy who left his computer on the front seat
Interesting thought. I think my issue is that leaving the top off year round and taking another car isn't really an option for me...we only have two cars and my wife drives the other and also, it's cold. But absolutely, I learned that when they stole my radio out of my first Wrangler and I was forced to suffer through the factory head unit.

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
I have always left doors unlocked as well. Still had an idiot cut my windows on my softtop scout II once.
Yeah, I guess. So much for the fancy power locks.

Sponsored

Motobilt

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Don't leave anything in the Jeep and leave the doors un locked. Think about it if they are going to break into your jeep the locked doors are not going to stop them and now you've got to get new windows too. Its not worth it. Someone went into my TJ the other day and found nothing. It would have sucked to buy new windows.

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
Don't leave anything in the Jeep and leave the doors un locked. Think about it if they are going to break into your jeep the locked doors are not going to stop them and now you've got to get new windows too. Its not worth it. Someone went into my TJ the other day and found nothing. It would have sucked to buy new windows.
I guess they aren't really interested in taking the U-connect display either, that's more effort than they are looking to put in...It's really about finding a backpack or sunglasses...

cedxc2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JL Sport S (Gabrielle)
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I think you're going to have to deal with vandals at some point, especially if you frequent a shady area. While I would have loved having a soft top, I went with the hard top for these very reasons. (Queens resident here).

I would ask your insurance how that would work - I wonder if the soft top windows would fall under a "full glass" policy or not...

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
  • Banned
I think you're going to have to deal with vandals at some point, especially if you frequent a shady area. While I would have loved having a soft top, I went with the hard top for these very reasons. (Queens resident here).

I would ask your insurance how that would work - I wonder if the soft top windows would fall under a "full glass" policy or not...
Interesting, never thought of that...I can feel my rates going up as we speak.

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Advertising
Can you park in a locked garage ? In San Diego the problem with JKs was they wrote down your VIN from the dash , and then went across the border and got a key made by a dealer with the codes ; then came back stole your JK with the coded key , and then drove it away across the border . The solution was a chain attached to the floor , and then wrapped around the steering wheel and locked with a big lock , with a big yellow Club . In your case , you could make a decal with a lightening bolt saying High Voltage .
Yeah, not as concerned about that as New York isn't particularly close to Mexico. I do like the idea of that decal though.

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have always left doors unlocked as well. Still had an idiot cut my windows on my softtop scout II once.
Ditto.. My last soft top was a 1987 YJ and although I left the doors unlocked some moron cut my window 2 different times.. The YJ windows, even when locked, could still be easily unzipped from the outside...

Most times criminals are looking for an easy target. They walk streets and apartment complex's pulling on car doors. If its unlocked they take what can be easily taken and if its locked they move on to the next car.

I have a hard top with manual locks and still just leave it unlocked. I don't leave anything of value inside though. I think right now I have .90 cents in change in the center console..

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I had a YJ with half doors. Made the mistake of locking it parked on the street. They just bent the door top out enough to reach the lock. Then my door tops flapped at high speed.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Can you park in a locked garage ? In San Diego the problem with JKs was they wrote down your VIN from the dash , and then went across the border and got a key made by a dealer with the codes ; then came back stole your JK with the coded key , and then drove it away across the border . The solution was a chain attached to the floor , and then wrapped around the steering wheel and locked with a big lock , with a big yellow Club . In your case , you could make a decal with a lightening bolt saying High Voltage .
Why not hide the vin?

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I've had friends that have left their TJs unlocked (including the console) and the windows were still cut and the console lid broken... never underestimate the power of stupid. Doesn't take much thought to be a thief, adjust your insurance rate/deductible to a comfortable amount vs. risk.

BTW... what is the going monthly rate on garage space in NYC these days?
Back in the '80s I remember my dad paying over $400 a month to secure his Olds 98 in the Bronx.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Yea... I lived in Queens for awhile and you never can tell what a thief will do, even if you leave nothing in the jeep and it's unlocked. Sometimes people just want to mess with your stuff out of spite.

Nothing to do with a jeep, but when I lived in Queens I used to bike everywhere. Had my bike stolen once when it was locked in front of a grocery store and I was inside for roughly 10 minutes. Later recovered that bike (crazy, I know) because the thief was stupid enough to sell it to a restaurant just a few blocks away.

Same bike I chained in Manhattan just a few blocks away from Port Authority. I took the LIRR out to see my girlfriend at the time and was gone for a whole weekend. Came back, my bike lock was gone and the bike was literally just on the ground, leaning against the pole...but it was there lol No tires taken or chains stripped or anything. Just the lock was gone. I guess that thief just wanted to show me they COULD have taken it? lol - still crazy nobody else just took it as a free bike, though.
Sponsored