Sponsored

When Someone Cuts Through the Windows on my Soft Top...

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
I'm not an expert but I don't think OEM infotainment systems are very desirable. They are VIN-locked and generally more trouble than they are worth. But I'm not in a big city any more so I would defer to others on this.
Was thinking the same thing regarding the backup camera. It's just on the back tire...
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
plainview should be no problem .. but taking it to the city overnight I would put it in a lot.
the problem is, youre not going to find too many lots in parts of Brooklyn or riverdale.
take your car seats when youre at your sister's

OP
OP
ajasper6579

ajasper6579

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Advertising
plainview should be no problem .. but taking it to the city overnight I would put it in a lot.
the problem is, youre not going to find too many lots in parts of Brooklyn or riverdale.
take your car seats when youre at your sister's
Ha, everyone in my sister's area of Riverdale has plenty of car seats, if you know what I mean.

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i've had guys rummaging through my cars in garden city when I've left them unlocked...so expect the occasional violation of your stuff, even in plainview. but the probability of someone lifting a car seat is kinda low. they want cell phones , portable gps, money, etc.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Wow, that's a lot to digest. Thank you for putting in the effort. I do not intend to use a trunk cover as I think that that will only arouse the suspicion of passing miscreants.
Agreed--the best course is visible absence of valuables over concealment of what, to the potential no gooder might be valuables.

And you still have the moron burglar (a bit redundant if you ask me) or the jealous/insane troll who slashes your top just for giggles.

I too accept it may get broken into. Worst case, I put the hard top back on I realize you didn't get. You can hedge risk, not can't eliminate it, and living life in fear is oxymoronic.

Sponsored

Mooch76

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Train Operator
I live on Long Island, but work in Brooklyn(East New York). I was worried about the same thing so I got the hardtop.

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
Ditto.. My last soft top was a 1987 YJ and although I left the doors unlocked some moron cut my window 2 different times.. The YJ windows, even when locked, could still be easily unzipped from the outside...

Most times criminals are looking for an easy target. They walk streets and apartment complex's pulling on car doors. If its unlocked they take what can be easily taken and if its locked they move on to the next car.

I have a hard top with manual locks and still just leave it unlocked. I don't leave anything of value inside though. I think right now I have .90 cents in change in the center console..
Did you ever find that somebody would break into your garage to cut your top? What about the parking lot of the grocery store. I'm only going to have 1 vhicle and I will park my Jeep in the Garage when I'm home, and the parking lots while I'm not at home.

did you notice that most of the crime happened when you were at home or not at home?

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever find that somebody would break into your garage to cut your top? What about the parking lot of the grocery store. I'm only going to have 1 vhicle and I will park my Jeep in the Garage when I'm home, and the parking lots while I'm not at home.

did you notice that most of the crime happened when you were at home or not at home?
I lived in an apartment complex at the time I had it and it generally only got broken into and the windows cut overnight.. Never had an issue during the daytime hours or parking in business parking lots..

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
I would love to have a dash camera in mine that can run anytime I am out of the car and catch anyone trying to get in my Jeep or mess with it. I personally never leave anything of value in my Jeep and if I have to leave something, then I lock it in the center or the glove box. Never leave anything in you jeep that is a temptation. If your shopping and have to leave something in your Jeep then hide it under the seat if you can. Also park in a place where there is more traffic and people are walking Buy. Point the back to the door Of the store you go into. That way you are not giving a thief privacy and you are less likely to be messed with.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Unlocked car in major metropolitan area = heroin users' dream or temporary homeless shelter. Then when you are pulled for a traffic violation and the copy sees drug paraphernalia that you missed in the back, searches for probable cause, and finds "your" stash = jail time. Be sure to search your car everyday before driving it.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I would love to have a dash camera in mine that can run anytime I am out of the car and catch anyone trying to get in my Jeep or mess with it. I personally never leave anything of value in my Jeep and if I have to leave something, then I lock it in the center or the glove box. Never leave anything in you jeep that is a temptation. If your shopping and have to leave something in your Jeep then hide it under the seat if you can. Also park in a place where there is more traffic and people are walking Buy. Point the back to the door Of the store you go into. That way you are not giving a thief privacy and you are less likely to be messed with.
I have one. Unless the thief is associated, say, with another vehicle with identifiable license plates, good luck getting the Police to conduct a Dragnet looking for your (or my) theif and wares.

Still more, the dash cam (get this sport's fans) is often an incentive to burglary. Such electronics can not only fetch $ at the pawn shop, but unless you get one that writes content to the cloud, rather than its self contained mini SD card, stealing it provides yet another benefit to the thief in taking the evidence that fingers them.

If you do get one, consider the pros and cons of taping any flashing lights that make people aware of their presence, particularly at night, and one that writes to the cloud. I think Blackvue ones might. I have a Blacksys.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I don't think OEM infotainment systems are very desirable.
Not ever desirable ... never . No thief would want one . Only dealers find them desirable ... to sell to the customers .

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
1. Get alarm with proximity sensor
2. Get stte farm insurance with zero deductable glass coverage. The coverage covers your plastic glass. So much so that when damaged they replace the entire softtop because they fade so replacing just a panel doesnt work. They covered 2 tops because of cut plastic on my YJ and 3 on my tj with a 4th check coming next week for a new top across 20yrs. Well worth the little it costs.
Sponsored