Sponsored

When does production start again?

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Even the automatic transmission is special behind that engine. And I also believe its outsourced outside the US too.
It's the same 8hp70 behind the hemi's, all the 8 speeds are either made in Kokomo, IN by FCA or Grey Court, SC by ZF. They haven't gotten any from Germany since like 2013.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
But, if we canā€™t get get people back to work sooner than you postulate above, the economy may be so damaged that there will be no jobs to go back to and there will not be enough money
lol :D

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The local president of the UAW in Toledo says he hears from his members they will not go back to work until there is a vaccine or cure. He says he hears from his members "I'm not giving up my life for my job". He says "When I feel this has been addressed we'll be building Jeeps again". But since they are being paid 88% of pay plus unemployment guessing they aren't in a hurry to get back to work.

Per Toledo Blade.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
The local president of the UAW in Toledo says he hears from his members they will not go back to work until there is a vaccine or cure. He says he hears from his members "I'm not giving up my life for my job". He says "When I feel this has been addressed we'll be building Jeeps again". But since they are being paid 88% of pay plus unemployment guessing they aren't in a hurry to get back to work.

Per Toledo Blade.
a vaccine for the general public wonā€™t be coming for at least 18 months

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Ha. They'll all be back as soon as they are told to report.
BTW: That's 88% including unemployment and trust me, it doesn't last forever.

Reactions: VNT

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Ha. They'll all be back as soon as they are told to report.
BTW: That's 88% including unemployment and trust me, it doesn't last forever.
I tend to agree. It will be union wide vote, not local, to go back. I don't recall the UAW asking its members to vote to stay home or not. And it sure wasn't a local UAW decision either .

Sponsored

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
I tend to agree. It will be union wide vote, not local, to go back. I don't recall the UAW asking its members to vote to stay home or not. And it sure wasn't a local UAW decision either .

I have a little bit more inside knowledge but as an employee, I can't talk too much.
I know exactly what REALLY happened on March 18th.
Let's just say this... the people on the floor doing the actual work have a heck of a lot of power. But you are right, it wasn't a decision made by FCA corporate, it wasn't a decision made by the International UAW, nor was it a decision made by any UAW local. However it is up to FCA corporate to tell us when to return, and that'll only happen after precautions are put into place.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
I have a little bit more inside knowledge but as an employee, I can't talk too much.
Let's just say this... the people on the floor doing the actual work have a heck of a lot of power.
Yes they do. But as another poster stated, Just in time inventory means the supply pipeline has to fire up as well. I'm sure there are supply parts all over the place that we're enroute to the plant(s) that are sitting in escrow somewhere. Those all have to get moving as well else there won't be much for the plant workers to do.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Yes they do. But as another poster stated, Just in time inventory means the supply pipeline has to fire up as well. I'm sure there are supply parts all over the place that we're enroute to the plant(s) that are sitting in escrow somewhere. Those all have to get moving as well else there won't be much for the plant workers to do.
Correct. All of these dates and tough guy talk are exactly that... talk. When all of the ducks are in a row (logistics, stay-at-home orders lifted), we will start building Jeeps again. THAT is the truth.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Let's just say this... the people on the floor doing the actual work have a heck of a lot of power. But you are right, it wasn't a decision made by FCA corporate, it wasn't a decision made by the International UAW, nor was it a decision made by any UAW local. However it is up to FCA corporate to tell us when to return, and that'll only happen after precautions are put into place.
Yep. As a former UAW employee for 26 years.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There is a very good article in todayā€™s Wall Street Journal. It may be behind a paywall, IDK. Itā€™s title is
ā€œA Second Round of Coronavirus Layoffs Has Begun. Few Are Safe.ā€ perhaps you can google it and get if if you wish to read it. The estimates for how wide and deep the economic impacts are is terribly disturbing. JPMorganā€™s earnings announcement was also quite sobering this morning.

if this country doesnā€™t get back to work very soon, there wonā€™t be much of a need to bring a lot of folks back to the automakers because the demand for new vehicles will be very low.

The ā€˜soup linesā€™ from the 1930s are already forming as solid Americans who were laid off find themselves without the financial resources they need to sustain themselves. In my opinion we have less than 4 weeks to start moving back to work. Anything longer than that and I am very afraid that we will be in a full Depression that may take years fix. Jobs will evaporate.

I really, really hope that the Auto Companies and the Unions and the workers they both owe a duty to, can very quickly figure out how to get restarted safely, with appropriate process changes.
Sponsored