Sponsored

When does production start again?

OZJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf
I ordered March 4.
Does anyone know when then start back up?
Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Report 6 days ago states a target of May 6th. But that is tentative and could easily change.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Don't get your hopes up on May 6th. I have a suspicion that our governor may extend the stay-at-home order again. I hope that I'm wrong. I'm ready to go back to work. Michigan has to go back before any other plant can run.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
They just pushed it from 4/14 to 5/6, but I would also assume that’ll get pushed back again.

UPDATE 4/7/20: FCA is extending its production shutdown through May 6

desync0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2dr Sport in Mojito!
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get your hopes up on May 6th. I have a suspicion that our governor may extend the stay-at-home order again. I hope that I'm wrong. I'm ready to go back to work. Michigan has to go back before any other plant can run.
Found the Trenton employee lol

I deliver to Toyota who also plans on going back week of the 4th but 90% of what we pick up comes from Michigan and Ohio, no way do I see that happening withing 3 weeks. IDK if we'll even be allowed over the border to pick parts up by then.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just the assembly plant but all of their suppliers need to be up an running to get the parts to them. With the Just In Time supply philosophy there usually aren't many parts waiting to go. Good philosophy to reduce storage space and to change parts if a problem is found but a real problem when supply problems hit such as a plant burning down or flooded or a pandemic. For the plant to open May 6th their suppliers would need to be up and running a lot earlier, especially if they are in another country.

You might actually be getting a 2021 when your order comes in.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
not sure if the auto plants will be up and running by the first week of may. here in ny the governor figured the end of march to see a lift on the "shut down". that was some where at the end of fed, beginning of march. now its been pushed back till the end of april. i suspect that it will be pushed back again. events like car show, etc. have been cancelled or postponed till june or later.

the other thing to keep in mind is that there are states just getting the covid 19 wave. so what you are seeing now in the hard hit states will "catch up" to the less hit states.

i would not be surprise that the auto industries will stop the 2020 production entirely and wait it out. clean out all inventory. then start fresh with the 2021 model year. also might not be in full force in building a huge inventory. not only because of the supplies, but the restart of the economy.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
not sure if the auto plants will be up and running by the first week of may. here in ny the governor figured the end of march to see a lift on the "shut down". that was some where at the end of fed, beginning of march. now its been pushed back till the end of april. i suspect that it will be pushed back again. events like car show, etc. have been cancelled or postponed till june or later.

the other thing to keep in mind is that there are states just getting the covid 19 wave. so what you are seeing now in the hard hit states will "catch up" to the less hit states.

i would not be surprise that the auto industries will stop the 2020 production entirely and wait it out. clean out all inventory. then start fresh with the 2021 model year. also might not be in full force in building a huge inventory. not only because of the supplies, but the restart of the economy.
I really hope that your estimate here is wrong. I want all workers everywhere to be safe. That goes without saying. But, if we can’t get get people back to work sooner than you postulate above, the economy may be so damaged that there will be no jobs to go back to and there will not be enough money (even if we turn on the presses and deal with the inflation) to keep folks solvent.

IMO, we have a few weeks to begin to restart —- using every test, temp check, mask, deep cleaning, contact tracing, and workplace distancing possible — It’s going to be lumpy and messy and hard (but hopefully safe). If we wait much beyond early May I am afraid that we will be in a full on economic depression that will take a decade or more to fix and economically devastate 100m - 200m Americans and since the virus won’t be going away anyway, bored, insolvent Americans will stop social distancing and the virus will claim lives anyway.

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I really hope that your estimate here is wrong. I want all workers everywhere to be safe. That goes without saying. But, if we can’t get get people back to work sooner than you postulate above, the economy may be so damaged that there will be no jobs to go back to and there will not be enough money (even if we turn on the presses and deal with the inflation) to keep folks solvent.

IMO, we have a few weeks to begin to restart —- using every test, temp check, mask, deep cleaning, contact tracing, and workplace distancing possible — It’s going to be lumpy and messy and hard (but hopefully safe). If we wait much beyond early May I am afraid that we will be in a full on economic depression that will take a decade or more to fix and economically devastate 100m - 200m Americans and since the virus won’t be going away anyway, bored, insolvent Americans will stop social distancing and the virus will claim lives anyway.

i'm hoping i'm wrong too. however the way things are running now, it looks like the "shut down" in all aspect of the economy will be longer. right now in ny the curve is starting to flatten out. but nothing says that it could spike again. hopefully not. when the number of cases starts going down hill, we all will be working in starting back to some sort of normal. but that will take a while. i can see a time frame of a month. (just saying). the most worried thing is the covid relapse. if that happen it will come faster then before. i hope that doesnt happen, but i'm worried that it will happen. and when it does, the sh!t will hit the fan as to just stepping into sh!t as of now.

as for the economy, it could go into a depression stage. but, as the u.s. governments mentioned, they are more prepare now then the 2007/2008 depression. again i like to be wrong, but a depression is most likely will happen.

Sponsored

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
i'm hoping i'm wrong too. however the way things are running now, it looks like the "shut down" in all aspect of the economy will be longer. right now in ny the curve is starting to flatten out. but nothing says that it could spike again. hopefully not. when the number of cases starts going down hill, we all will be working in starting back to some sort of normal. but that will take a while. i can see a time frame of a month. (just saying). the most worried thing is the covid relapse. if that happen it will come faster then before. i hope that doesnt happen, but i'm worried that it will happen. and when it does, the sh!t will hit the fan as to just stepping into sh!t as of now.

as for the economy, it could go into a depression stage. but, as the u.s. governments mentioned, they are more prepare now then the 2007/2008 depression. again i like to be wrong, but a depression is most likely will happen.
As a former employee of a tier 1 supplier to Ford, GM, Kia and SssangYong Motors you have parts suppliers from all over the world. Places you would think don't make auto parts. This disease is World wide. When all of these plants shut down they have parts in plant in the pipe line and at the parts manufacturing plants. Unless they did almost zero change for 2021 they will have to use up these parts. And some countries like Italy that produce the engine will have a an even greater impact on a restart. We had a secondary source on some parts for a given reason. But not for a majority of or major parts. Not likely they can ring up Cummins or Detroit for a secondary engine source. And the company I worked for was Borg-Warner Automotive. 26+ years. Until they shut down our plant in '09. I assembled thousands and thousands of transfer cases. Sitting on a built diesel Wrangler that I'm dying to pull the trigger on. Even with my hours cut.

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Builder
Even if Italy doesn't restart production of the diesels, they can still run. Trust me, I've seen them do it before. Run out of the 3.0, but still have US Sourced 3.6s and 2.0s? Just pull those 3.0s off of the line and keep it rolling.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
Raring to go by Easter!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
As a former employee of a tier 1 supplier to Ford, GM, Kia and SssangYong Motors you have parts suppliers from all over the world. Places you would think don't make auto parts. This disease is World wide. When all of these plants shut down they have parts in plant in the pipe line and at the parts manufacturing plants. Unless they did almost zero change for 2021 they will have to use up these parts. And some countries like Italy that produce the engine will have a an even greater impact on a restart. We had a secondary source on some parts for a given reason. But not for a majority of or major parts. Not likely they can ring up Cummins or Detroit for a secondary engine source. And the company I worked for was Borg-Warner Automotive. 26+ years. Until they shut down our plant in '09. I assembled thousands and thousands of transfer cases. Sitting on a built diesel Wrangler that I'm dying to pull the trigger on. Even with my hours cut.

i hear you and thats the big question as to when the other countries can get back to manufacturing the parts to supply the auto plants. and get the auto workers back in to building autos. its a domino effect.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
i hear you and thats the big question as to when the other countries can get back to manufacturing the parts to supply the auto plants. and get the auto workers back in to building autos. its a domino effect.
Very much so. Could be a very slow up and down startup. And like was mentioned, the 3.0 liter diesel may get shuffled to the back burner...and the fire turned out. Even the automatic transmission is special behind that engine. And I also believe its outsourced outside the US too. There is a whole lot of automotive assembly and manufacturers that are going to be turning the lights back on about the same time. Hopefully they don't blow a fuse. I'm hoping for a clean easy slow start. And a good ramp up to full production. Going to help a lot of economies world wide and a good trickle down effect to a lot of other businesses.
Sponsored