When do you REFUEL?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
The old pumps were bolted to the block and therefore at least 100⁰ hotter than the tank will ever get. The evaporative action of gasoline is endothermic by nature thereby cooling the inside of the tank bellow ambient air temp. I'd be willing to bet the inside of the fuel tank is generally 15⁰ or more bellow ambient, guess what the under hood temp is?
Yes, a modern fuel pump also “self-lubricates” while working so it’s always covered in fuel.
Sponsored

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
I try never to run below 1/2 tank. I’m driving since 1977, that was always a rule I tried to follow. Got stuck too many times with weather;snow, so always try to keep tank near full. You need it one way or another, why run low.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Only use my JL for off roading, so I fill up after each trip, even if a shorter trip, the. I’m ready with a full tank for the next trip...wheel at least 3 days a week.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
3/4 tank is my general target. You never know when theres some kind of event and you cant buy gas for 2 weeks

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Remember though that those old “bolted to the block” pumps were mechanical, NOT electrical. If the engine turned over it pumped fuel.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Remember though that those old “bolted to the block” pumps were mechanical, NOT electrical. If the engine turned over it pumped fuel.
Mechanical pumps failed on me more than once. Running low on fuel being hard on the pump is just false. In 25 years of commuting, and almost never fueling up before the gas light was on, I've never had an in tank pump fail. I fuel up twice a week, often running a full 40-50 miles after the light comes on. Nearly 2 million miles in 12 or more vehicles in that time. You're worried about doing something 1 time because it will shorten the life of your pump that I have done more than 2,500 times. As far as sediment in the tank, after 100,000 plus miles of fueling up every time you hit 3/4 of a tank I'm sure you'll have quite a lot. I burn off most of my sediment every week by running the tank down to empty. Bottom line is, time is money and I spend far less time per mile driven at the gas station than most. More than 1 way to skin a cat, but I am not stopping for gas every 50-60 miles. I would hate to be on a roadtrip with that mentality.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I swear when I was working I didnt want to take time out of my life to get gas (yes I said gas).
So I sometimes played that Kramer game where I literally seen 0 range in my previous car for 5 miles before sweating to a station. 🙄 No more of that.....

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
With the small tank in the 2 dr even full you're already low on fuel :( I refill at 1/4 tank typically. IME @ 1/4 tank it still only takes about 10 gallons.
When I get to the yellow..... Costco is a bit to far to justify driving all the way there just to get gas when I get down to half a tank. Although I would if it were closer

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
When I will be off roading a trail on weekends then I will make sure I have just enough fuel for the trip as I like to keep the weight down (Especially in sand).

Else, I would intermittently vary my refueling from when the tank is about half way or just about empty.

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I fill up when the light comes on. If I was supposed to do it sooner, the light should come on sooner.

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
Be KIND to your Jeep. Don't let it run below quarter tank. Would you starve your kids??? Pet??? So why starve your Jeep?

Seriously, this is very hard on the fuel system. Keep your tank at least quarter tank full at a minimum and your Jeep will thank you for it.

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
If I’m headed out off road, I top it off.
Wintertime I fill up at 1/2 tank. My driveway is wicked steep and at 3/8 tank, remote start won’t work because it thinks the Jeep is empty.
The other 10 months of warm weather, I don’t really pay a lot of attention to the fuel gauge. I commute 5 miles round trip each day. So when the dash gets all weird looking, I fill it up.
Sponsored