When do you REFUEL?

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Around town, I will let it get to a quarter tank. When travelling or especially, when touring the west, I will be looking for gas when I get to a half tank.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I'm pretty old and have a really old bladder. So, let's face it; I make certain to refuel whenever I pass a place that has both a gas pump and a restroom.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Half tank, we try to keep our vehicles full, we always have a chance of a tsunami so I want fuel in the vehicles.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
I keep the tank on my Jeep full at all times...not too many places to refuel around here.
Jeep Wrangler JL When do you REFUEL? P1050443er
being from crowded little Rhode Island, This picture is really really cool to me. :like:

Sponsored

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Like a lot of people here apparently, I try to not go below half if i can help it. Being prepared is a good thing.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
our area has a weekly (or almost weekly) gas price spike cycle. If I know what I have left wont make it through to the next low end of the cycle I will fill up then.
Jeep Wrangler JL When do you REFUEL? 1618244977162

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Half tank, we try to keep our vehicles full, we always have a chance of a tsunami so I want fuel in the vehicles.
Living in Southern Arizona we have zero risk from a tsunami, but not because we are 400 miles from the coast of the Pacific Ocean, but because Tucson AZ and the neighboring area is at an elevation of 2500+'.

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I try to keep above 1/4 tank. During winter, if there is a mild day I try to top off. No fun filling up during a windy 20 degree or colder day. When traveling, I let it get pretty low because I hate to waste time stopping.

Also, whenever I go to Costco I top it off since they are normally 10 - 15 cents a gallon cheaper than nearby stations - plus I get 4% cash back on Costco gasoline.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
our area has a weekly (or almost weekly) gas price spike cycle. If I know what I have left wont make it through to the next low end of the cycle I will fill up then.
PA has the highest road fuel taxes in the nation. I also use ethanol-free fuel in the motorcycles, exclusively, which commands a mild price premium. I'm getting dinged no matter where or when I buy the precious juice. 💸

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I try to fill the tank when it's at half, to insure the fuel pump's cooled by the fuel in the tank.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I have usually gone to the low fuel warning, but after reading this thread and learning that the fuel pump's life will be improved with a higher fuel load I will start filling up at half tank. Always learning from others on this forum.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I refuel at about 1/2 tank. I always want to know I have enough gas to get where I want to go. I hate to get into a car and the gas tank is on empty.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I have usually gone to the low fuel warning, but after reading this thread and learning that the fuel pump's life will be improved with a higher fuel load I will start filling up at half tank.
The DL1000 that I used to own had a fuel pump inside the tank. The pump's design was known to be quite susceptible to heat-related failure if the fuel level was allowed to get too low. Bad juju if one was riding at speed when the pump decided to poop the bed.

The sheer, depot-level disassembly required to repair or replace the pump on that particular bike scared a lot of owners straight, in terms of adjusting their habits and refilling the tanks sooner than they had been doing.

The more we know. :)

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
If I'm on a road trip, I like to gas up when the gauge hits about 1/4. Gives me a little room for error in finding a working pump.

Usually, in day-to-day driving, I fill up when it gets to 1/2.

Here's why....

I'm located only a mile from a major interstate highway. About a mile and a half from a Union Pacific mainline. Trucks and trains carry huge volumes of all manner of flammable, explosive, toxic and other undesirable materials through here constantly. Including radioactive waste. If the worst occurred and we had to evacuate, we have a little cabin in the boondocks 120 miles from here. A half tank of gas would get us there. We'd just have to grab a couple of things and go.

I don't want to be the 127th fool in line at the gas station trying to fill up to get out of town.

I used to be a Boy Scout: "Be prepared"

As always, YMMV.
Sponsored