Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Most I could ever pump into the 2 door 17.5 gallon tank was 16 gallons with the mile counter at zero.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
With everything closed due to COVID, last year I found myself refueling on my birthday, whether the Jeep needed it or not.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Top off before any road trip or day out on/off the road. Around town, 1/4 tank or when the lamp is light or when by the discount fuel locations (those points ya' get to drop the per gallon pricing). Now my better half will drive her 4Runner and then let me know it has 1 mile left on the range... :)

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Wondering about the different personalities and opinions on when do you refuel and why? In other words, how low do you let the tank get before you fill up again? Half way, Quarter tank, Yellow warning light, Lowest red mark on gauge, Running on fumes?
I am guilty of letting it get to the lowest mark on the gauge before filling up the tank again.
When there is 100 miles or less remaining in tank. Why? I like to not stop for gas going to work (50+ miles 1 way) and fuel is much cheaper closer to home, so I want to make a round trip commute possible.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I refuel the Jeep when there's a half tank of petrol remaining, every time.

I tend to allow the fuel level in the motorcycles to run low before refueling, but extra gasoline is usually carried on the bikes.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Every Sunday or 1/4 tank, whichever comes first, but regardless, every Sunday, and before a trip anywhere whether it's a road trip or trail trip.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I typically don’t go below 1/4 as that amount gives you choices where to get gas from.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Every other day pretty much every outing is a 1/4 to half tank trip. The joys of living far away from everything would not trade it for city life, and yes a subdivision is city life lol.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Remote start doesn't work if below a 1/4 tank (well, when "low fuel" warning light is activated) - anyway, I tend to fill it when it gets less than half full.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I stop whenever it's convenient anytime after I dip below 3/4 full, keeping the following in mind:
  • It's better for the vehicle's longevity to keep a full gas tank. What isn't gas is air, which will contain moisture which reduces the longevity of the vehicle. Also the fuel pump is cooled by gas.
  • It's safer to keep a full gas tank. What isn't gas is an explosive air/fuel mixture whereas liquid gasoline is not. This isn't hugely dangerous but it is better.
  • In the event of a gasoline supply issue, there would always be 9-18 gallons on hand in the tank for whatever purpose.
  • If there is dirt in the tank, most of it will be sucked out all at once when the tank is nearly empty.
While it is my daily driver, I'm 100% WFH so I don't have anywhere to drive to on a daily basis. It's quite understandable that a commuter would not want to top off every day but it's better if you do.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
  • If there is dirt in the tank, most of it will be sucked out all at once when the tank is nearly empty.
In a similar vein, I don't fuel up at any station where & when a tanker is refilling the underground tanks. The inflow of fresh fuel will agitate the sediment in those tanks, which in turn will remain suspended long enough to make its way to and through the pumps.

If the detritus evident in the external fuel filters on my motorcycles is representative, the spin-on canister filters on gas station pumps may over time allow a fair bit of that crap to flow through them and into our tanks.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
With a modded Rubi 2-door running 35's, a slightly heavy right foot and just a 17.5 gallon tank...too damm often!

Not complaining about mpg, just the damm motorcycle-size gas tank!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
With a modded Rubi 2-door running 35's, a slightly heavy right foot and just a 17.5 gallon tank...too damm often!

Not complaining about mpg, just the damm motorcycle-size gas tank!
What is your excellent MPG? :)

Lighten your right foot a bit (easier said than done, I know) and use ethanol-free fuel if available, and you might gain a bit of range between fill-ups.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
What is your excellent MPG? :)

Lighten your right foot a bit (easier said than done, I know) and use ethanol-free fuel if available, and you might gain a bit of range between fill-ups.

Overall average mpg from day of delivery till now is (+-) 16. I am in the process of a few more mods including 4.88's, Borla (soon to be released) Cat-Back Touring exhaust, Livernois tune but also going with the new load range C 37" KO2's...Not sure how mileage will be affected but should be even more fun to drive!
Sponsored