Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer changed mine this week at 5400 miles. I told them 5 quarts but they argued that it took 6 and that after changing it showed oil level at the full mark on the dip stick. I checked it when I got home, after it had set for a while and the oil level was at the full mark. Should I be worried?
The gold standard for checking your oil is to pull the dipstick on a cold engine and evaluate.
I did my first change at 2k miles. I put Mobil 1 Extended Protection 0w20 into it with a Fram Ultraguard filter. I did not do the freebie. I like to change my own oil.
Then you archive your receipts for warranty claim support?
Sponsored

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Not another oil change thread where people argue over following mfg recommended change mileage/weight, that dealers mechanics are idiots, that engine technology hasn't changed in 100 years so need to follow the old schedule, that little bity tiny particles destroy an engine, and on and on.
I don't worry about it. When it's time to change oil I just buy a new vehicle.
That made absolutely NO sense.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The gold standard for checking your oil is to pull the dipstick on a cold engine and evaluate.

Then you archive your receipts for warranty claim support?
Nope. I keep a record of each oil change ever done on all of my vehicles, including brand, weight, and oil filter brand and product #. I had a transmission replaced under warranty on my 2008 JK with a lifetime powertrain warranty. It had a couple of issues (occasionally popping out of gear and just some noise) at 116k miles. They never asked me for the records for gear lube changes in it. Of course, my dealership is very good and they know how I maintain my Jeeps.

Capt. Don

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited High Tide
Occupation
US Merchant Marine Master, 100T
Vehicle Showcase
Your Willys is restricted to 97 MPH anyway.
Well, our owner's manual states :
"Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable."
So just 67 miles beyond this initial break-in period this owner is doing a maximum speed run? Must be a short term lease.
Sponsored