Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Owner/operator of Vanity Fur Grooming Salon
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone!! First time Jeep owner. Bought my first Jeep on Saturday and I LOVE it. 2018 Wrangler JL Sport S. My question is about wheels and tires, and I have very limited knowledge about the technical ins and outs so please “dumb it down” with your replies. Lol
I love the look of the more aggressive looking tires with black rims, especially how some tires “stick out” further, but not the extreme transformer looking tires. I was asking my salesman about swapping for some wheels that were on a used Jeep and he said I need to stick with “Jeep wheels” or Jeep won’t cover any damages caused by after market wheels and tires. So what exactly does that mean? Where do I search for Jeep wheels and tires? Also, any advice on size, specs, etc would be appreciated. I’m not an off roading kinda gal. I bought my soft top Jeep because I am a convertible person so I don’t want anything that will affect the way it drives on the highway.

BA54D2C6-71DB-43BC-B21E-DE5F97F58162.jpeg

A3A87ED1-FE35-4CC4-9716-F2506BAC45B9.jpeg

824E649B-31C3-4C3C-8D8C-F1203626733E.jpeg
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
There are no such thing as Jeep tires, there are factory wheels but those can be matched to aftermarket and there are tons of choices, the dealer is just trying to get you to buy tires and wheels from them.

As far as choices you can go up to a 33” tire with no lift but the offset of the stock wheel pushes it back pretty far so if you decide you want the tire out further you will have to go with a less positive offset wheel, you also have to be mindful that when you start getting into larger tires your choices for a C rated tire go down if it’s an 18” wheel.

There are guys on here that have a lot more experience than I do on this subject and I’m sure they will chime in with more info.

OP
OP
JillC

JillC

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are no such thing as Jeep tires, there are factory wheels but those can be matched to aftermarket and there are tons of choices, the dealer is just trying to get you to buy tires and wheels from them.

As far as choices you can go up to a 33” tire with no lift but the offset of the stock wheel pushes it back pretty far so if you decide you want the tire out further you will have to go with a less positive offset wheel, you also have to be mindful that when you start getting into larger tires your choices for a C rated tire go down if it’s an 18” wheel.

There are guys on here that have a lot more experience than I do on this subject and I’m sure they will chime in with more info.
Do you have a suggestion of what brand wheels/tires I should consider?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am having a 2.5” RC lift put in by @TTEChris ( owner/operator ) of Tankcustoms here in Houston and after talking with Chris and going thru countless pics of wheels and a few choices on tires I am going with 17x9 wheel with a -12 offset and a BFG T/A KO2 315 70 R17 tire that has an C rating which should be pretty smooth.

Here are the two choices on wheels I am still undecided on and the tire is what I am going with

DFCAB1FA-F70F-40AA-B990-93B32DD8B0E9.jpeg

BD5F9194-572E-4853-AF85-69D286C0338C.jpeg

B52A6743-7B8E-40A2-83DB-4887AE0D5DFA.jpeg

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Do you have a suggestion of what brand wheels/tires I should consider?
Everyday there are Rubicon wheels and 285/70R17 tires at reasonable prices. If you want the tires to "stick out" you can put in spacers or cut your fender back. Just a thought. Here is my 2Dr with Rubi wheels powder coated black

black wheels on my jeep.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
JillC

JillC

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Everyday there are Rubicon wheels and 285/70R17 tires at reasonable prices. If you want the tires to "stick out" you can put in spacers or cut your fender back. Just a thought. Here is my 2Dr with Rubi wheels powder coated black

black wheels on my jeep.jpg
i love yours! Put in spaces? Is that something the dealership can do?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

i love yours! Put in spaces? Is that something the dealership can do?
Anyone with a jack can put in spacers. I'm a true idiot and I can do it. Just make sure they're flush and torqued to the right tightness
Sponsored