Sponsored

What upgrades do I need for offroading?

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
I haveha JL Sahara and am considering getting 35 inch tires and black rhino wheels.
I don't plan on doing "hardcore" Moab style offroading, but some light crawling, trailing, and mud are my preference.
I'd like to know what else, in addition to the wheels, tires, and 2 inch lift, I would need to get done?
If people out here can even put a package together for me (or links) I would be forever grateful!
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I haveha JL Sahara and am considering getting 35 inch tires and black rhino wheels.
I don't plan on doing "hardcore" Moab style offroading, but some light crawling, trailing, and mud are my preference.
I'd like to know what else, in addition to the wheels, tires, and 2 inch lift, I would need to get done?
If people out here can even put a package together for me (or links) I would be forever grateful!
Sounds like you're off to a good start for what you plan to do with it. Probably should look into some recovery gear at some point - winch, snatch straps, etc.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Honestly? Nothing. Only changes I’d make for light off-roading is putting on mud tires if you’ll be in mud often or deep stuff. If you’re doing a lift strictly for performance, it’s not needed for light off roading. Try her out stock first, it’ll be fun.

Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Your ready , you will be very surprised what your JEEP is capable of already .. hit the trails !! Modify as needed once your comfortable.. happy wheeling

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
The best upgrades you can do to get into wheeling is get some tow straps and friends without Jeeps that are willing to let you read along.

You should build up the Jeep to the terrain in your area anytime what you plan on driving. Mud tires don't do good on rocks and rock tires dontd do as good in mud. Meet people who have been doing this for a while in your area learn the ropes with what you got now and learn what works and doesn't work as for mods.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Lot of good advice above.

Take it off road - how you will use it. The Jeep will tell you its shortcomings and what you need to change.

When we bought our last JK, I put Duratracs on the stock wheels (knowing that the tires were the biggest problem I would have at the time). Everything else was stock. Took on trails with only 300 miles on it (80 of which was driving to the trail). Hit it on a tree at the side step and raked it down the side scratching up the fender. That was the beginning of the love taps it received...

The mods came as I saw what the vehicle needed.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, wheels aren't on "off-roading" upgrade. They're a style upgrade. Get some good tires and go from there

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
The stock Jeep will follow built Jeeps over most trails and obstacles. It’s a different experience but can be done. Your list sounds good to get started. I’d add an engine/tranny skid to the list. I like the EVO.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with the above, you really don't NEED to do anything to off road your Jeep.

Factory AT tires will go through mud...
img_1157-jpg.jpg

And will handle some decently sized obstacles without much struggle...
img_1485-jpg.jpg

Now after you get a feel for how your Jeep performs, you'll have a better Idea of what you'll want to do as far as modifications. Since the above pictures, the only thing I've done is install a Rubicon suspension taken off of a buddy's Jeep. I'll eventually upgrade tires but right now the ones I have are good.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Take her out to Rausch Creek Off-Road Park and see what she can do! http://rc4x4.org/

Rock sliders never hurt to have before you need them.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Nothing except maybe some rock rails and perhaps skid plate for the diffs as they are a bit exposed.

Then go have fun and upgrade when you hit the limits of something on the jeep; and not your own ability.

I find it more challenging in a close-to-stock jeep to go out and do tough trails versus some monster-jeep with 40 inch tires and a 6 inch lift. You got to use your brain more to be a success.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Come on. You guys are taking away all my reasons to spend money upgrading my Jeep. :CWL::CWL::CWL:
Sponsored