Sponsored

what exactly do you need for desert driving?

Jeepajeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport '19 2d
As title says,

What sort of modifications make the most amount of sense for desert driving? is a lift needed? 35s? New shocks?
Which modifications for the car and quality of life make the most amount of sense to spend one vs others (such as rock rails for example)

Trying to create a decent road/desert camper that is also retro inspired :)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Generally, more top end power... so opposite of what you want for crawling.

Suspension travel good if catching air.

Some way to keep the sand out of the intake is good. I've heard of electronic swaybar disconnect failing if there's fine dust.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Generally, more top end power... so opposite of what you want for crawling.

Suspension travel good if catching air.

Some way to keep the sand out of the intake is good. I've heard of electronic swaybar disconnect failing if there's fine dust.
I don't understand. Why more top end power?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A piece of friendly advice: never, ever refer to a Jeep Wrangler as a “car.” ;)

With that said, I would go with Fox shocks, as they were designed for baha-style racing.

Sponsored

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I would take the Jeep out to the desert and safely run it as you want to and from their you can get a better idea. Since most Off Road persons are friendly and not afraid to give an opinion you will get a lot of ideas. The more you do it the more you will find out. You will be surprised at how capable it already is depending on how fast you want to go, Top End I assume from the post above.

To the original question just look at the Jeep Mojave Gladiator specs for a starting point.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I don't understand. Why more top end power?
Because:
1. Sand grains are smaller than rocks and need less torque to displace

2. Sand approaches fluid-like behaviour and to stay "afloat", you need to spin fast:

3. Because these guys think it's a good idea:

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
Start out by waiting for the Mojave package to make it to the JL.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Depends on what you mean by desert driving. If you're on reasonable trails, stock works fine. I would focus on needs other than mechanical out of the gate:

- recovery gear (winch, strap, boards)
- large water containers
- portable shade (tarp and bungies can work)
- first aid kit
- comms (ham/gmrs/cb)

Maybe that goes without saying but my sense is sometimes people are more worried about 35s and suspension than basic safety gear.

Last edited:

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
My understanding of UAE is its a lot more soft-open sand (dunes). Important with driving on soft sand is stay on-top "floating" on the sand so you don't dig down. The best way to achieve this is by increasing your foot-print.

Decreasing air pressure is the absolute most helpful thing you can do. So get a good air-compressor so you can air back up when you get to the road.

Taller tires allow you to get more clearance and are better when airing down. Wider tires will help with more float on the sand.(Stock Sport here in the US are 245/75R17-31.5"x9.5", Rubicon size 285\70R17-33x11 is better, or with a lift you could go up to 315\70R17-35"x12.5", even better.) And stick with All-Terrain tires rather than Mud terrain.

Beadlock wheels allow you to drop pressure further without worry of the tire coming loose, also wider than stock wheels are better if you go to 12.5" wide tires.

Recovery gear - boards work great in sand. Straps are good if you're out with others. Winches are hit or miss in the desert because there can be little to attach to. Most sand anchors I've seen are pretty useless, burying your spare tire can work in a pinch, and I've heard good things about the Deadman Off-road.

Get a shovel and water, very important.

Sponsored

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Desert driving requires pretty good tires. I've already cut sidewalls in the BFG stuff. Deserts have sharp rocks and sandpaper like qualities. M/Ts can give you a lot of tread life, but you won't encounter mud frequently in the desert. A/Ts will give you more versatility (but stink in mud). Go for something that's a good compromise.

Keep it simple in the desert because it's usually remote, facilities to repair/recover can be limited and have hours not conducive to weekend warriors (I see a lot of ppl with tire issues on Sundays in Moab and there's nowhere for them to get repairs.). Make sure you can repair anything and carry spares for anything essential (Two is One and One is None).

I would recommend an air compressor, MaxTrax and excess water and fuel storage.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
First you're gonna need to get yourself a desert.

Then...something to drive.

Kidding. But in all seriousness, if the popular threads this week are any indication, I'm gonna say you'll need a WildTrack Bronco.

We've all just about quit talking about Jeeps, so that's my suggestion. :CWL:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
First you're gonna need to get yourself a desert.

Then...something to drive.

Kidding. But in all seriousness, if the popular threads this week are any indication, I'm gonna say you'll need a WildTrack Bronco.

We've all just about quit talking about Jeeps, so that's my suggestion. :CWL:
Insane how many Bronco threads popped up, I say "go buy a F'n Bronco and go to the Bronco forum if you are so in love with it" to the people that keep starting them. Any thread with the word Bronco should just be deleted by the moderators. This isn't a generic offroad Forum, it's a JL Wrangler forum.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
As title says,

What sort of modifications make the most amount of sense for desert driving? is a lift needed? 35s? New shocks?
Which modifications for the car and quality of life make the most amount of sense to spend one vs others (such as rock rails for example)

Trying to create a decent road/desert camper that is also retro inspired :)

Thanks in advance
There's a million variables to your question. I live very close to Death valley and my rig is being built out as more of an overlander with rock crawling capabilities, but i'm not trying to drive down desert roads at 75 or race Raptors up dunes. How you intend to use your Jeep in the desert is just as important as the fact that you are in a desert. What are you trying to do in the desert?

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Because:
1. Sand grains are smaller than rocks and need less torque to displace

2. Sand approaches fluid-like behaviour and to stay "afloat", you need to spin fast:

3. Because these guys think it's a good idea:
Got it. Well explained. Thanks.
Sponsored