millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
How long does a full-tank last you? And what mileage range do you get on a full-tank if you don't mind me asking.
Filling up once a week. range on a tank usually says just under 400.
Sponsored

Redbeard80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Yeah but my JL does the 1/4 mile in 9.9 seconds and 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and averages 38 mpg on the interstate at 75 mph. Also have a nice 2nd and 3rd gear tire chirp under hard deceleration with 91.
First post on this message board... I just wanted to admire how fantastic this post it.

Deleted member 35398

ALWAYS 91. It hurts at the pump, but worth it.........I think. I only have 2000 miles on my 2018 JLU Sport, but I recently made a trip down to Twin Falls and back to Meridian, ID and got 28 mpg (400 miles round-trip). I was pleased. Jeep drove great. I'm so impressed with it. It's comfortable and FUN to drive. I've only had it off-road in the back country once, but it did well...........met all of my expectations. However, I'm not a rock crawler like some you other guys.

So why am I considering trading it in on a Rubicon..........I think I may need some counseling:LOL:

Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
ALWAYS 91. It hurts at the pump, but worth it.........I think. I only have 2000 miles on my 2018 JLU Sport, but I recently made a trip down to Twin Falls and back to Meridian, ID and got 28 mpg (400 miles round-trip). I was pleased. Jeep drove great. I'm so impressed with it. It's comfortable and FUN to drive. I've only had it off-road in the back country once, but it did well...........met all of my expectations. However, I'm not a rock crawler like some you other guys.

So why am I considering trading it in on a Rubicon..........I think I may need some counseling:LOL:
I have 2019 Jl sport 2 door, been using premium, and recorded mileage, now i will try 87, and see what happens, then non ethanol....I can say idle, while using 87 is a "tad" bit rougher, however this could be a multiple of other variables as well. We are all looking for that 300,000 mile engine, and good gas mileage, however at this juncture I am not sure, 93 is worth it and non ethanol is even higher, but rather than talking out of my " butt", I am keeping close watch on mileage, and idle, and performance etc....
p.s. been getting a P219A , code, via OBD device, reset , changed to 87( i get the feeling JL does not like the 93 octane, again probably talking out of my "butt" changed gas , new gas cap and review of other items...we will see if problem is more pervasive...

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Currently doing a cross country and here on the west coast 93 is hard to come by so have been using 91. Driving through NorCal where the power outages have led to operational gas stations few and far close to SF you go, and gas in short supply in a lot of places at least then, I had to fill up using 89, didn't see much difference between that and 91 driving honestly. The biggest difference by feel I saw was when I was filling up 91 ethanol free in the midwest.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 now. It has made my pinging subside quite a bit.
2019 J L manual:

3.6L Engine This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines.
Of course they did say " SATISFACTORY" fuel economy, and performance, it woulda been nice to read , " like a scalded dog", but FCA does not have a sense of humor.....

Last edited:

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
2019 J L manual:

3.6L Engine This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “Regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of higher octane “Premium” gasoline will not provide any benefit over “Regular” gasoline in these engines.
Don’t really care what the manual says. My engine pings more when I don’t use 91. It’s very noticeable.

This 3.6 is higher compression than the og 3.6. Higher compression motors benefit from higher octane. Not saying 91 is required of course. I just notice less ping.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
3.6L. 87 Octane. No pings.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t really care what the manual says. My engine pings more when I don’t use 91. It’s very noticeable.

This 3.6 is higher compression than the og 3.6. Higher compression motors benefit from higher octane. Not saying 91 is required of course. I just notice less ping.
I completely agree with you, and historically you are correct, I have yet to have a spark or detonation knock since putting 87 in, now having said that if I do, back to shell 93...the compression is in the 10 area , and you are correct saying high compression, as i read anything over 9 is...of course your word BENEFIT is the crux, you and I have been schooled to go up on octane when knock or detonation issues occurs, none yet ...fingers crossed

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I completely agree with you, and historically you are correct, I have yet to have a spark or detonation knock since putting 87 in, now having said that if I do, back to shell 93...the compression is in the 10 area , and you are correct saying high compression, as i read anything over 9 is...of course your word BENEFIT is the crux, you and I have been schooled to go up on octane when knock or detonation issues occurs, none yet ...fingers crossed
I think the JL 3.6’s compression is 11.3:1 and the JK is 10.2:1.
Mine is a manual transmission. Sometimes I wonder if that has more to do with it. Low rpm lug and what not.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Currently doing a cross country and here on the west coast 93 is hard to come by so have been using 91. Driving through NorCal where the power outages have led to operational gas stations few and far close to SF you go, and gas in short supply in a lot of places at least then, I had to fill up using 89, didn't see much difference between that and 91 driving honestly. The biggest difference by feel I saw was when I was filling up 91 ethanol free in the midwest.
how come they have access to ethanol free fuels in the Midwest - where they actually grow the corn, but I don't have access to it here in new jersey - where the only things we grow are liberals?

rogisilva

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Rotadyne.com.au
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR OB
Occupation
Design Development Manager
I guess I am safe with whatever hear in Australia.. If I opt for "premium" fuel to get all the nice engine cleaning additives my choices are usually 95 or 98 octane.... I normally just use 95 because paying between AU$1.50-$2.00 per Litre hurts (someone can do the math to convert that to US$/Gallon)... So I will go without these 3 octanes. I'll get myself a snack instead. Some Fuel for the Jeep, some fuel for me. :)
Sponsored