Sponsored

What is up with rock stacking?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
we share the planet (including trails), and some people need to understand is that there are people who just want to go places.

while it may not be true of you or me, not everyone is looking for everything to be as difficult as possible, and many people don't understand why anyone else would want it to be.
people have different perspectives. there are about 7 Billion ways to live a life, and as many perspectives.

helping those people be there is likely to get you more people who are willing to fight to have the ability to go there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I'm happy I started this thread. There are a lot of different ways of looking at not only the subject title "rock stacking", but also how we view treating off road trails in general.

You got some guys with the mentality of mind your own damn business. Then the other group who can care less what happens to the trails.

I fall into the category of leaving trails as they were designated and neither tearing them up or dumbing them down. I am of the opinion of having someone with experience lead and don't get in over your head.

I know if I get a Jeep Wrangler it will be a 2 door and I will use the motto of tread lightly as I have for years on 2 wheels. Truth be told I most likely will not do extreme wheeling. I'm pretty much aged out of thrill seeking and beating the crap out of my vehicles.

My last extreme vehicle was a KTM 300. It was raced and ridden on trails at a difficulty rating that cannot be imagined by the average off road enthusiast . 2015 was the year I decided to pass the torch to the younger guys who are physically capable of riding/lifting a 250lb+ bike over KOM style 4' rock steps and single track switchbacks with drop offs that make you dizzy.

So I stay off those trails or only do short sections. I had my day and it's now expired. I can have plenty of fun on maintained fire roads and groomed trails.

we share the planet (including trails), and some people need to understand is that there are people who just want to go places.

while it may not be true of you or me, not everyone is looking for everything to be as difficult as possible, and many people don't understand why anyone else would want it to be.
people have different perspectives. there are about 7 Billion ways to live a life, and as many perspectives.
There are so many places that do not require skills or special of any kind. Right tool for right job. I assure you that Subarus and Hondas with rooftop tents and crap hanging off the sides were not tackling black diamond trails 10 years ago.

Heck a bridge was even built a few years back on Crab Flats Road because of inexperienced goofballs drowning their vehicle to get the "money shot" of spray over the hood. The forest service for years could not keep up with the broken down vehicles at a very simple water crossing. There was even a bypass that idiots refused to take.

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I'm happy I started this thread. There are a lot of different ways of looking at not only the subject title "rock stacking", but also how we view treating off road trails in general.

You got some guys with the mentality of mind your own damn business. Then the other group who can care less what happens to the trails.

I fall into the category of leaving trails as they were designated and neither tearing them up or dumbing them down. I am of the opinion of having someone with experience lead and don't get in over your head.

I know if I get a Jeep Wrangler it will be a 2 door and I will use the motto of tread lightly as I have for years on 2 wheels. Truth be told I most likely will not do extreme wheeling. I'm pretty much aged out of thrill seeking and beating the crap out of my vehicles.

My last extreme vehicle was a KTM 300. It was raced and ridden on trails at a difficulty rating that cannot be imagined by the average off road enthusiast . 2015 was the year I decided to pass the torch to the younger guys who are physically capable of riding/lifting a 250lb+ bike over KOM style 4' rock steps and single track switchbacks with drop offs that make you dizzy.

So I stay off those trails or only do short sections. I had my day and it's now expired. I can have plenty of fun on maintained fire roads and groomed trails.

There are so many places that do not require skills or special of any kind. Right tool for right job. I assure you that Subarus and Hondas with rooftop tents and crap hanging off the sides were not tackling black diamond trails 10 years ago.

Heck a bridge was even built a few years back on Crab Flats Road because of inexperienced goofballs drowning their vehicle to get the "money shot" of spray over the hood. The forest service for years could not keep up with the broken down vehicles at a very simple water crossing. There was even a bypass that idiots refused to take.
My training has always been to leave a trail better than you found it, granted that's a hiking perspective but I figure it'll work here, leave no trace, same stuff, and I'm way to lazy to move big heavy anything, ask my wife! LOL p.s. there isn't a Subaru within 5 miles so I'm good there...

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

Just have to have more patience for darwinism or social hypetrain to run their course, they will thin themselves out through attrition via injury, exhaustion, or boredom.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
While I have never stacked a single rock in my over 30 years of off-roading Iā€™ll take a different approach at the guys stacking rocks and not removing them once past the obstacle. Maybe, just maybe, in their mind they thought they were doing people a favour by leaving the rocks there to make it easier for the next group through, canā€™t really fault them for that.

RemisPaPa

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-350
Occupation
Retired Marine, DoD Civilian
Dang it! Came here seeking the answer to one of lifeā€™s great unanswered questions. I had always assumed that these were some sort of Chupacabra lair, or maybe an LZ marker for aliens. Very disheartened to find out the thread is about kicking rocks, or not kicking them when youā€™re done.
Jeep Wrangler JL What is up with rock stacking? 5F068749-375E-4C54-9042-96527F954D95

Sponsored

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rock stackers have never bothered me. The famous Rubicon Trail is still a County road that was passable by 2wd Model T's at one time. When there is no bypass and folks want to fill in some difficult for them sections, more power to them.
I've cleared a few of my favorite trails of troublesome bolders and outcropings that are known to damage vehicles. I found a 20v Dewalt cordless roto hammer, 1/2" masonry bit, feathers&wedges and a 5 LB. hammer is all it takes easily split some big rocks. I think no more of it than cutting back branches and bucking up a fallen tree blocking the trail. Helping to keep trails passable and safe is just public service IMO. Anti rock stacking zelots are anti 4wheelers IMHO
Now I know your are just commenting to troll and stir up the pot!! LOL!! I know with 100% certainty if you were caught by the BLM or Rangers splitting outcroppings and boulders you would be arrested or ticketed.

FWIW, clearing a fallen tree to make a trail passable is a whole different task than breaking up and destroying millions of year old rocks to make a difficult trail easier because you decided to get in over your head. I live in an area where strip mining was done and it's very sad.

As an example just look what has happened to El Caption over the years. The dirtbags have ruined it with thousands of rusty pitons left in the rock, chiseled out hand holds and feces dripping down the face of it.

Death Valley N.P., B.L.M., Federal F.S. trails are for everyone.
Not true!! This is why people die every year. You have to prepare and have yourself and rig capable of navigating. If not then it can get ugly.

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in 100% disagreement and I do split rocks and cut branches that impede my travel on public trails for vehicles. El Capitan, haha.
As long as you don't get caught then all is well. I do appreciate your honesty though. At least that tells me you are not the type of person I would want to go wheeling and share the trails with.

OP
OP
OllieChristopher

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm more of a rider than a 4 wheel guy. I have been on most all of the 4wd trails here in Southern California though. The name calling and disparaging remarks I can do without.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
Not true!! This is why people die every year. You have to prepare and have yourself and rig capable of navigating. If not then it can get ugly.
seems you're missing your own point; it is absolutely true that the trails mentioned are for everyone, hence why people die out there every year.
nobody said just because they're for the public it's OK to go out there stupid, and that goes as much for when we're on 2 wheels as when we're on 4.

I'm more of a rider than a 4 wheel guy. I have been on most all of the 4wd trails here in Southern California though. The name calling and disparaging remarks I can do without.
now it seems like you're just disqualifying yourself in multiple ways, not the least of which is that you started this thread specifically on the premise of disparaging others.
Sponsored