Sponsored

Got the JLUR stuck the other day, is rock track to blame?

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
So last week I was doing some exploring and managed to get myself stuck while turning around in a field. The ground was pretty frozen and my front and rear wheels were stuck in two separate ruts. I did not air down at first because I don't have a way of airing back up before going back on the road.

I was in 4Lo with both axels locked but nothing I could do would free me from my current situation. I did go down to 25psi but still nothing. In a final attempt to free myself I went down to 18psi. Finally, without hesitation, my Jeep was able to climb right out. Had to limp home about 6 miles on 18psi.

One thing to note is that at least untill I aired down my front wheels weren't spinning. I didn't put it into 4Lo untill I got stuck, was in 4Hi. A friend believes that my front wheels never engaged when I went into 4Lo.

Any pointers besides airing down would be helpful. Thank you!

Jeep Wrangler JL Got the JLUR stuck the other day, is rock track to blame? 20210204_141117
Jeep Wrangler JL Got the JLUR stuck the other day, is rock track to blame? 20210204_141133_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Got the JLUR stuck the other day, is rock track to blame? 20210204_141707_resized
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snowboardinwny

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Yes, I had the traction control off. I have the tazer installed as well, I believe I had everything off, not sure that would make a difference.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same issue with my tazer when it was initially installed. Ensure you have the latest flash version in the Tazer, then plug it back in and do a FULL REBOOT. Then find some dirt and make sure 4HI/LO and the front locker works. You should have been able to drive right out of that easily in 4hi.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes, I had the traction control off. I have the tazer installed as well, I believe I had everything off, not sure that would make a difference.
Traction control would have made a huge difference. Looking at those photos I don't see anything that would have been difficult for a base model JL, let alone a Rubicon. Is it possible you had the transfer case in neutral instead of 4 Low?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snowboardinwny

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
Traction control would have made a huge difference. Looking at those photos I don't see anything that would have been difficult for a base model JL, let alone a Rubicon. Is it possible you had the transfer case in neutral instead of 4 Low?
No, the transfer box was engaged, 4lo was lit up on the dash and the rear wheels were spinning as if I was in low gear. I had my head out the window while watching the rear tire to gage how much gas to give it. If you look at the pictures the front tires are dry and the rest are muddy. Not sure why the front wheels wouldn't engage.

OP
OP
Snowboardinwny

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
I had the same issue with my tazer when it was initially installed. Ensure you have the latest flash version in the Tazer, then plug it back in and do a FULL REBOOT. Then find some dirt and make sure 4HI/LO and the front locker works. You should have been able to drive right out of that easily in 4hi.
I'll get the latest version installed. I did test out my 4hi/lo a couple nights ago after some fresh snow fall. 2hi jeep spins the rear wheels. In both 4hi/lo no problems. Front locker works as well

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is I had the same issue. The display said the TC was locked and 4hi but the front wheels weren't spinning and I was stuck in a small snowbank. Pretty embarrassing :). A friend yanked me out and after performing a full system reboot, 4WD was operational again.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
So last week I was doing some exploring and managed to get myself stuck while turning around in a field. The ground was pretty frozen and my front and rear wheels were stuck in two separate ruts. I did not air down at first because I don't have a way of airing back up before going back on the road.

I was in 4Lo with both axels locked but nothing I could do would free me from my current situation. I did go down to 25psi but still nothing. In a final attempt to free myself I went down to 18psi. Finally, without hesitation, my Jeep was able to climb right out. Had to limp home about 6 miles on 18psi.

One thing to note is that at least untill I aired down my front wheels weren't spinning. I didn't put it into 4Lo untill I got stuck, was in 4Hi. A friend believes that my front wheels never engaged when I went into 4Lo.

Any pointers besides airing down would be helpful. Thank you!

20210204_141117.jpg
20210204_141133_resized.jpg
20210204_141707_resized.jpg
You have the Rubicon, right? When in 4WD and stuck, without the differentials locked, one wheel on each axle should spin. With both differentials locked, and you are stuck, all 4 wheels should spin. If you were in 4WD and neither of the front wheels would spin, I have to assume your FAD was not engaging the front right axle..

OP
OP
Snowboardinwny

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
You have the Rubicon, right? When in 4WD and stuck, without the differentials locked, one wheel on each axle should spin. With both differentials locked, and you are stuck, all 4 wheels should spin. If you were in 4WD and neither of the front wheels would spin, I have to assume your FAD was not engaging the front right axle..
Yes I do have the Rubicon. Is there a way I could test the FAD at home. I hate to take it into the dealer! I did research a little but I'm at work now, will research more when I get home. Thank you

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Yes I do have the Rubicon. Is there a way I could test the FAD at home. I hate to take it into the dealer! I did research a little but I'm at work now, will research more when I get home. Thank you
With rear wheels chocked, and the vehicle in Park (auto) or 1st (manual) and transfer case in 4WD, and differential locked, raise only the front right wheel off the ground. The wheel should not rotate. If you can rotate the wheel, the FAD is not connected.

Last edited:

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
A similar thing happened to me, but you're probably experiencing something different. I got stuck as well but in a very simple water crossing, was engaged in 4low prior to getting into the water, but only rear wheels were spinning by the time I was stuck.

Turned out the teeth in my front diff were stripped and therefore could not engage properly to turn my front wheels. Everything looked as if I was in 4lo on the dash

OP
OP
Snowboardinwny

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
With rear wheels chocked, and the vehicle in Park (auto) or 1st (manual) and transfer case in 4WD, and differential locked, raise only the front right wheel off the ground. The wheel should not rotate. If you can rotate the wheel, the FAD is not connected.

I still need to do this, garage is full and driveway is partially covverd in packed snow/ice. Thank you for the tip, I will post back with my results.

A similar thing happened to me, but you're probably experiencing something different. I got stuck as well but in a very simple water crossing, was engaged in 4low prior to getting into the water, but only rear wheels were spinning by the time I was stuck.

Turned out the teeth in my front diff were stripped and therefore could not engage properly to turn my front wheels. Everything looked as if I was in 4lo on the dash
I believe I have clutches in my front diff because of the rock track. I was wheeling yesterday with no problems in 4hi. I used 4lo once and heard some funny tinging like sounds coming from the center diff area.

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I still need to do this, garage is full and driveway is partially covverd in packed snow/ice. Thank you for the tip, I will post back with my results.

I believe I have clutches in my front diff because of the rock track. I was wheeling yesterday with no problems in 4hi. I used 4lo once and heard some funny tinging like sounds coming from the center diff area.
Hmm, I think it’s normal to have some sounds at full lock but not sure if these sounds are normal..

- I think you should get it checked out by a local shop before going into the dealership

OP
OP
Snowboardinwny

Snowboardinwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 528i
I did some testing trying to re create what happened when I was stuck. One of the things I found is that if you have the tazer and you fully disable traction control no matter what your transfer case is set at the Jeep will be RWD. This goes for 4lo as well, so in theory it would be 2Lo.

It is possible that I did fully turn off traction thinking it would help me or I had it off prior. This is my first Jeep and first 4x4 so I am getting use to how these things work, especially how you want them to.

Hmm, I think it’s normal to have some sounds at full lock but not sure if these sounds are normal..

- I think you should get it checked out by a local shop before going into the dealership
I played around with 4lo a couple times between yesterday and today and didny hear anything. I will try it at full lock. I'm also thinking it could have been a branch or stick that had gotten caught underneath.

Thanks for the tip about checking with a local shop before going to the dealer.
Sponsored