Sponsored

What is Difference Between -18 Offset & OEM Wheels And 1.75" Spacers?

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for this. I only added spacers to the OEM wheels because the inner wheel would rub on the tie-rod at full lock after I installed some Metal Cloak front end upgrades. MC said it has happened a few times due to variations in FCA's manufacturing.

An additional 1.19" is a little more than I want to have sticking out. It sounds like I need to look at 0 offset or -12 at the most but I would also need to check the clearance on the tie-rod. I tried adding washers under the steering stops, but it was not enough clearance. I guess I could look at installing slightly longer steering stops.
@MonopoliJLUR - can you check my thoughts on this:

OEM Wheel = +44.5 (offset) + 44.5 (spacer) = 89 total offset
After Market Wheel = -6 (offset) + 44.5 (OEM offset) + 12.7 (extra wheel width) = 63.2 total offset

If this is correct, then choosing a wheel with -6 offset and removing the spacer will have the tires sticking out about 1" less than what I currently am.

Did I forget to add something in?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
On that web link I posted above they also have backspacing listed in their specs.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport

After Market Wheel = -6 (offset) + 44.5 (OEM offset) + 12.7 (extra wheel width) = 63.2 total offset

If this is correct, then choosing a wheel with -6 offset and removing the spacer will have the tires sticking out about 1" less than what I currently am.
For the -6 offset wheel, what is the wheel width?
What size tires are you currently running and what size are you getting for the aftermarket set up?
Your current setup with spacer factored in is 17x7.5 offset 0.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For the -6 offset wheel, what is the wheel width?
What size tires are you currently running and what size are you getting for the aftermarket set up?
Your current setup with spacer factored in is 17x7.5 offset 0.
8.5" for the rim width and 315/70/17 for the tires which remain the same. How is it offset zero on the current setup?

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
8.5" for the rim width and 315/70/17 for the tires which remain the same. How is it offset zero on the current setup?
The -6 offset wheel will stick out an addition 3/4 inch further than the current set up

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

If the OEM wheel is +44.5 that means the mounting surface is +44.5 (out) from the midline of the wheel, and tucks the OEM wheels in under the fenders. You mean to add a (-) 44.5 spacer for a total 0 offset. As others have mentioned that doesn't tell you anything about how far it pokes out. You need to factor in wheel width as well (usually add an inch and divide by two, convert to metric).

By far the easiest way to figure this out is to play around with the calculators @blnewt mentioned:like:

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon

think of the positive offset as it being farther in, positive means the mounting surface is farther forward from the centerline while negative is farther back, so the more negative the farther it will stick out

so +44 offset to -6 offset is essentially sticking 50mm farther out then taking out the 44.5 mm spacer will tuck them back in that much so basically it’ll be about 6mm + the extra wheel width (12.7mm) so about 19mm farther out

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If the OEM wheel is +44.5 that means the mounting surface is +44.5 (out) from the midline of the wheel, and tucks the OEM wheels in under the fenders. You mean to add a (-) 44.5 spacer for a total 0 offset. As others have mentioned that doesn't tell you anything about how far it pokes out. You need to factor in wheel width as well (usually add an inch and divide by two, convert to metric).

By far the easiest way to figure this out is to play around with the calculators @blnewt mentioned:like:
He's using the same tires though, so the tire poke isn't equal to the wheel poke. Let's say he gains .4" in section width from going to an inch wider wheel on the 315s, so the outside face of the tire will be .2" (~5mm) further out if he uses matching 0 offset 17x8.5s, also the tire will be .2" closer to his suspension.
-18 mm offset wheels with no spacers will be 18mm out from the wheel center and 5mm out from the tire getting fatter on the rim, so 23mm further out on the outside sidewall, and 13mm further out on the inside sidewall.
In reality, unless OP is super close to rubbing, 5mm is negligible. So if he wants the same stance, he needs a 0 offset

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He's using the same tires though, so the tire poke isn't equal to the wheel poke. Let's say he gains .4" in section width from going to an inch wider wheel on the 315s, so the outside face of the tire will be .2" (~5mm) further out if he uses matching 0 offset 17x8.5s, also the tire will be .2" closer to his suspension.
-18 mm offset wheels with no spacers will be 18mm out from the wheel center and 5mm out from the tire getting fatter on the rim, so 23mm further out on the outside sidewall, and 13mm further out on the inside sidewall.
In reality, unless OP is super close to rubbing, 5mm is negligible. So if he wants the same stance, he needs a 0 offset
With the OEM wheels and no spacer, I am rubbing my inner wheel rim against the tie-rod at full lock. It sounds like if I go 0 offset although the tire poking out from the fender would be close to same, the additional 1/2" gained from the increase of the new wheel width would cause the inner rim to hit the tie-rod even sooner than full lock.

Am I thinking about this in the correct way?

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
With the OEM wheels and no spacer, I am rubbing my inner wheel rim against the tie-rod at full lock. It sounds like if I go 0 offset although the tire poking out from the fender would be close to same, the additional 1/2" gained from the increase of the new wheel width would cause the inner rim to hit the tie-rod even sooner than full lock.

At zero offset and the 1/2” additional wheel width in each direction, you’ll still be about an inch further out to inside face of wheel rim than stock with no spacer.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@MonopoliJLUR + @blnewt + @GATORB8 + @Chocolate Thunder - just need your confirmation. Based upon this calculator, I think that a 0 or -6 offset would have me as close as possible to my current set up.

What say you?

0 Offset:

Jeep Wrangler JL What is Difference Between -18 Offset & OEM Wheels And 1.75" Spacers? Wheel 0 Offset

-6 Offset:

Jeep Wrangler JL What is Difference Between -18 Offset & OEM Wheels And 1.75" Spacers? Wheel -6 Offset

-12 Offset:

Jeep Wrangler JL What is Difference Between -18 Offset & OEM Wheels And 1.75" Spacers? Wheel -12 Offset

-18 Offset:

Jeep Wrangler JL What is Difference Between -18 Offset & OEM Wheels And 1.75" Spacers? Wheel -18 Offset

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon

@MonopoliJLUR + @blnewt + @GATORB8 + @Chocolate Thunder - just need your confirmation. Based upon this calculator, I think that a 0 or -6 offset would have me as close as possible to my current set up.

What say you?

0 Offset:

Wheel 0 Offset.png

-6 Offset:

Wheel -6 Offset.png

-12 Offset:

Wheel -12 Offset.png

-18 Offset:

Wheel -18 Offset.png
I think whoever said something about using the same tires is right and that the extra wheel width won’t affect it too much since the tire is out further anyway, so I think 0 offset will be almost the same as you have now and any more negative offset from there will just add that much more poke

I’d go 0 offset (that’s what I’m going to be doing on my Jeep when it comes)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
If you’re trying to keep suspension clearance and minimize poke, I think I’d choose the -6. Are all of those offset options available on the wheels you want?
Sponsored