Sponsored

What is Difference Between -18 Offset & OEM Wheels And 1.75" Spacers?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
As noted above, can anyone tell me in inches what the difference between the two may be?

Alternately, which will stick out further?

I am going to replace my OEM Willys wheels and 1.75" spacers with some different wheels and they only come in -18 offset. I am curious as to what difference I can expect between the two:

OEM = 17"x7.5" with Synergy 1.75" spacer
Black Rhino Ark = 17"x8.5"x-18 offset
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have -18 offset wheels you probably don’t need any spacers. As stated, give more info on what you have and what you’re looking to achieve.
I am going to replace my OEM Willys wheels and 1.75" spacers with some different wheels and they only come in -18 offset. I am curious as to what difference I can expect between the two:

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

The only missing information is the offset of the OEM Willys wheels. Plug that into this calculator and it’ll tell and show you how one setup compares to the other. I THINK the -18 will be perfectly fine with no spacer, but double check.
https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

I plugged in your current setup on the left (your stock wheel is NOW a zero offset w/ those spacers added) and the -18 wheel on the right column. You're gonna be out a bit over an inch w/ the wider 8.5 -18 set
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...17X8.5ET-18&fcl=2in&wcl=1.25in&scl=2in&sr=0in
I forgot you have those 315/70 Kanatis
here's the setup w/ those tires
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...17X8.5ET-18&wcl=1.25in&fcl=2in&scl=2in&sr=0in

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
The stock offset is +44 so if you’re going to -18 then that’s 62mm right there then another half inch from the extra width (half the additional inch in width since the other half is essentially on the inside of the wheel) then subtract the 1.75 inch spacer you’re using now and all that converted to inches you’re looking at an extra 1.19 inches sticking out

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The stock offset is +44 so if you’re going to -18 then that’s 62mm right there then another half inch from the extra width (half the additional inch in width since the other half is essentially on the inside of the wheel) then subtract the 1.75 inch spacer you’re using now and all that converted to inches you’re looking at an extra 1.19 inches sticking out
Thanks for this. I only added spacers to the OEM wheels because the inner wheel would rub on the tie-rod at full lock after I installed some Metal Cloak front end upgrades. MC said it has happened a few times due to variations in FCA's manufacturing.

An additional 1.19" is a little more than I want to have sticking out. It sounds like I need to look at 0 offset or -12 at the most but I would also need to check the clearance on the tie-rod. I tried adding washers under the steering stops, but it was not enough clearance. I guess I could look at installing slightly longer steering stops.

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Are you happy with how much your current setup sticks out past the fenders? If so, can you measure how much they currently stick out past the fender and let us know? If we know this and the tire size your planning to run, we’ll be able to tell you what width and offset to look for.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you happy with how much your current setup sticks out past the fenders? If so, can you measure how much they currently stick out past the fender and let us know? If we know this and the tire size your planning to run, we’ll be able to tell you what width and offset to look for.
Yes; I am and will do. I should have given more "data" in the OP so you guys had more to work with.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Yes; I am and will do. I should have given more "data" in the OP so you guys had more to work with.

Try something new moving forward. Quit thinking about offset. Start thinking about back space and front space.

A 9" wide wheel usually measure 1" over the 9" rating from rim to rim.

4.5" back spacing on a 9" wheel = 5.5" front spacing.

That front spacing measurement is what you're after. Compare front spacing from your current wheel to the new wheel and you'll not have to do all the math with offset.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Try something new moving forward. Quit thinking about offset. Start thinking about back space and front space.

A 9" wide wheel usually measure 1" over the 9" rating from rim to rim.

4.5" back spacing on a 9" wheel = 5.5" front spacing.

That front spacing measurement is what you're after. Compare front spacing from your current wheel to the new wheel and you'll not have to do all the math with offset.
Good idea, except I have not seen wheels listed with anything other than offset (at least the ones I have been reviewing), so I am stuck with the math, but all good now that I know what attributes are needed

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Good idea, except I have not seen wheels listed with anything other than offset (at least the ones I have been reviewing), so I am stuck with the math, but all good now that I know what attributes are needed
it’s because they measure the width from the inside of each lip, so a 9 inch rim will still be an inch bigger than a 8 inch rim
Sponsored