First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I’m trying to decide what to buy for my first trail etc camera. I’m a newb to video other than point, shoot, and very minor editing.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I recently got a GoPro 9 black. Never had a camera before so nothing to compare it to but I have to say the image stabilization is outstanding.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
GoPro 9 black for sure. I shoot for a living and the GoPro's hands-off usability and stabilization is bar none the best in the industry, and there isn't a better camera out there for the style of shooting that goes along with wheeling.

If you find a deal on a used Hero 8 Black or even a Hero 7 Black, both are great options too. Both use the same image sensor but each iteration further improved the stabilization, microphone quality, and usability of the camera. The Hero9 improved the stabilization even more, added an all new image sensor with the ability to shoot 5K video (this also improves the regular 4K modes as it's supersampling from a higher resolution source), slightly better color science and a realtime front screen. The 8 and 7 are no slouches either tho.

Not that you asked, by my two cents for capturing good footage:
Once you get into actually shooting, don't always assume your highest framerate and resolution option is the way to go. The pros mostly shoot 24fps and 30fps, with 60fps and higher being used if we intend on slowing the result down to 24/30fps for smooth slow motion. 4K 16:9 at 24 or 30fps is a great look that'll save you tons of storage space and allow a lesser computer to smoothly edit the footage. If you're really getting into it and want to squeeze the best looking image out, pick up a set of ND filters that goes with the specific GoPro you end up with, and try shooting 24fps with the shutter speed closest to 1/50 as you can get and the lowest ISO you can get by adding ND on bright days until your scene is exposed right - this gets you closes to the cinematic sweet spot of 24fps with your shutter speed twice the framerate (around 1/50). If you don't like the slightly strobey 24fps look, 30fps will give you the smoother image you're looking for.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jessedacri somebody was asking in another thread (below) about live view. My experience with the 9b is that you cannot record and watch live view at the same time. Has that changed recently?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gopro-and-ipad-mini.73647/#post-1534762
That I'm not sure of - I typically only use my GoPros for FPV drones, and I know the 6 and 7 don't show live video in the app when recording. I don't own a 9 because we break GoPros so often in FPV flying that I pretty much only use a rotating stock of used Hero6 and 8s that I get off of offerup. I wouldn't personally recommend using a GoPro as a "trail cam" to help you see what's in front of you in realtime while also recording, I'd only use it to record quality footage of your adventures.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
GoPro 9 black for sure. I shoot for a living and the GoPro's hands-off usability and stabilization is bar none the best in the industry, and there isn't a better camera out there for the style of shooting that goes along with wheeling.

If you find a deal on a used Hero 8 Black or even a Hero 7 Black, both are great options too. Both use the same image sensor but each iteration further improved the stabilization, microphone quality, and usability of the camera. The Hero9 improved the stabilization even more, added an all new image sensor with the ability to shoot 5K video (this also improves the regular 4K modes as it's supersampling from a higher resolution source), slightly better color science and a realtime front screen. The 8 and 7 are no slouches either tho.

Once you get into actually shooting, don't always assume your highest framerate and resolution option is the way to go. The pros mostly shoot 24fps and 30fps, with 60fps and higher being used if we intend on slowing the result down to 24/30fps for smooth slow motion. 4K 16:9 at 24 or 30fps is a great look that'll save you tons of storage space and allow a lesser computer to smoothly edit the footage. If you're really getting into it and want to squeeze the best looking image out, pick up a set of ND filters that goes with the specific GoPro you end up with, and try shooting 24fps with the shutter speed closest to 1/50 as you can get and the lowest ISO you can get by adding ND on bright days until your scene is exposed right - this gets you closes to the cinematic sweet spot of 24fps with your shutter speed twice the framerate (around 1/50). If you don't like the slightly strobey 24fps look, 30fps will give you the smoother image you're looking for.
Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been watching so many comparison videos it’s actually made it more difficult for me to decide.

My kids play softball and to be able to slow that ball down might come in handy for specific play capture.

This guy seems to like 2.7k at 60fps and shooting “flat”.

If my wife uses things like Lightroom and Photoshop, will that be helpful experience for editing video footage?

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order

Wow, I think that post was about a 6mth video course in 2 paragraphs... Thanks for posting that... What is your favorite drone to use on the trail ?

Cheers

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, I think that post was about a 6mth video course in 2 paragraphs... Thanks for posting that... What is your favorite drone to use on the trail ?

Cheers
The DJI Mavic Air 2 or Air 2S are both awesome. People love the Mini 2 as well, it puts out a very similar image to the Air 2, but I think most people who are going to casually use these on the trail will appreciate the tracking features on the Air line and better wind resistance. On the Air or Air 2S you can drag a box around your Jeep and it'll smoothly follow you without any stick input, and the 2S can put together entire montages of cinematic autopilot captured shots automatically if you're into that. All in all the DJI stuff is by far the best in the industry - well built and reliable, good image quality, easy to fly, and ridiculously long flight times (30+ mins on one battery).

The drones I'm flying as of late are FPV drones with GoPros strapped to them - much harder to fly and specialty equipment required, but fly like an X wing through the Death Star. Here's my most recent flight from a camping trip up in the high sierras:

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve been watching so many comparison videos it’s actually made it more difficult for me to decide.

My kids play softball and to be able to slow that ball down might come in handy for specific play capture.

This guy seems to like 2.7k at 60fps and shooting “flat”.

If my wife uses things like Lightroom and Photoshop, will that be helpful experience for editing video footage?
Yep, flat is the way to go if you've got prior knowledge for working in Lightroom, it gives you more latitude in the brightest and darkest areas of the shot, where the standard color mode might blow the sky out to white more often for example. Since your wife is on Adobe products, try Premiere Pro. If she watches a few YouTube videos on it she'll be at home in no time, and adjusting the color on a GoPro flat clip is as easy as adjusting photos in Lightroom: you have all your same highlights/shadows/contrast/saturation/etc sliders to adjust.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The DJI Mavic Air 2 or Air 2S are both awesome. People love the Mini 2 as well, it puts out a very similar image to the Air 2, but I think most people who are going to casually use these on the trail will appreciate the tracking features on the Air line and better wind resistance. On the Air or Air 2S you can drag a box around your Jeep and it'll smoothly follow you without any stick input, and the 2S can put together entire montages of cinematic autopilot captured shots automatically if you're into that. All in all the DJI stuff is by far the best in the industry - well built and reliable, good image quality, easy to fly, and ridiculously long flight times (30+ mins on one battery).

The drones I'm flying as of late are FPV drones with GoPros strapped to them - much harder to fly and specialty equipment required, but fly like an X wing through the Death Star. Here's my most recent flight from a camping trip up in the high sierras:

Yep, flat is the way to go if you've got prior knowledge for working in Lightroom, it gives you more latitude in the brightest and darkest areas of the shot, where the standard color mode might blow the sky out to white more often for example. Since your wife is on Adobe products, try Premiere Pro. If she watches a few YouTube videos on it she'll be at home in no time, and adjusting the color on a GoPro flat clip is as easy as adjusting photos in Lightroom: you have all your same highlights/shadows/contrast/saturation/etc sliders to adjust.
Thanks!!

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
Jessedacri, Wow again.. how did you manage not to hit any tree limbs ! That was awsome.. thanks for the reco on the drones..

Cheers

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
THAT was freaking sweet.

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
I have a GoPro 8. The mount is from 67 designs. Very stable video. Really like the quality.

OP
OP
DadJokes

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
THAT was freaking sweet.
I never thought of this before, mounting a GoPro like that, you might need music to dub over that section with the sound of the rotors present. I guess the Mavic etc with the built in cameras don’t record sound?

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I never thought of this before, mounting a GoPro like that, you might need music to dub over that section with the sound of the rotors present. I guess the Mavic etc with the built in cameras don’t record sound?
Just dubbing in the Death Star run would be appropriate..
Jeep Wrangler JL What action camera for a newb? AAE8DE70-EF00-4D14-8D24-5331C7999021
Sponsored