Northernlites

Northernlites

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Retired
It amazes me that the literal light that guides you people cheap out on.
Been driving for 45+ years on standard and halogen bulbs in Northern Wisconsin. Even drive a 1929 Ford Model A with 6 volt system, and there too never an issue having to light-up the road like a football field at night. Secret is to not over drive your headlights. Never hit a deer, and I have seen plenty. More likely to be rear ended by some idiot on their cellphone now-a-days. The $1,200.00 for factory LEDs went towards other packages I truly needed. Only had so much moola to spend.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
You're seeing the cheap ones with weird names that they sell on Amazon or eBay. Ones designed to replaced the halogen bulb that is in the vehicle, and that are properly installed will work very well.

Stick with a reputable brand. Headlight Revolution sells bulbs from multiple manufacturers. They test them in the headlight housings for each vehicle, so they know what bulb performs best in each application.

https://www.headlightrevolution.com...le/2020+Jeep+Wrangler_with_Halogen_Headlights

Good install tip at the end of the video.

I'm not sure what they are using, but I have never seen a decent or acceptable LED bulb on a Wrangler, one of the reasons I never bothered changing mine in the past, I guess for the owner they may think these things are better, but as someone in the opposite direction to those things they are a nuisance, worse they look like two buckets of lights.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Three Jeep JLs now with the Beamtechs. We never get flashed by oncoming drivers. Furthermore, I run my LED fog lights concurrently. Also, both current Jeeps have a 2.5” lift - Sahara and Rubicon. My previous Jeep had a 3.5” lift.
I don't even bother flashing people, it's not like the can do anything about it.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I don't even bother flashing people, it's not like the can do anything about it.
I used to get flashed after one of the lifts due to improper beam adjustment, NOT after swapping the bulbs with LEDs.

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Meat popsicle
I was very surprised to see those mentioning Silverstars that they had such short lifespans when using them. I used them in EVERY vehicle I had (which is maybe 4-5 for my family) back in the day before I had HID and LED equipped vehicles. I only recall ever having one actually fail/die on me. Lasted for several years for me otherwise. So, I never really looked into others and what life span they were getting, as I absolutely loved the brightness and color of the Silverstars. Just out of curiosity when you guys installed them do you recall if you ever touched the bulb itself even inadvertently for a second when installing them? I always made sure to never touch the bulb in anyway. Wondering if that made a difference.

As for changing out the OP's bulbs. If you feel they aren't bright enough there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades as others have said. I have heard good things about Beamtechs as well. Bottom line obviously it is up to you what you buy and do. These forums and the members all have great information, and I rely on their experience and recommendations heavily.

As for me, I am happy with the factory LED's my jeep came with. If I didn't have them, I would absolutely be upgrading the headlights as well. However, only after one died. Or, if I found myself routinely travelling on rural unlit roads with the propensity for animals to jump out to say HI! at the most inopportune moments.

Sponsored

Wulfgott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 PUNK'N 2.0L Turbo JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Meat popsicle
There are A LOT of vehicles out there that get lowered or raised and never have the headlights re-aimed to compensate. Not all states unfortunately require headlight adjustment checks.

I have not been flashed either after simple bulb swaps/upgrades. Just when I leveled my old truck out (removing the downward rake it had). So I had them re-aimed after I got flashed a couple times never had the problem again.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
To those who object to upgrading the bulb from halogen to LED and think it will make the Jeep look “cheap,” in my opinion it’s a bad idea to select a bulb based on what others may or may not think it looks like aesthetically - unless it’s so horrible that you are creating a hazardous condition for others, regardless of how low you aim your headlights. I’m more concerned with how well the lights work while looking out of my windshield, NOT while looking at the front of my Jeep and fretting over whether or not it makes my Jeep look “cheap.” 🤣

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I was very surprised to see those mentioning Silverstars that they had such short lifespans when using them. I used them in EVERY vehicle I had (which is maybe 4-5 for my family) back in the day before I had HID and LED equipped vehicles. I only recall ever having one actually fail/die on me. Lasted for several years for me otherwise. So, I never really looked into others and what life span they were getting, as I absolutely loved the brightness and color of the Silverstars. Just out of curiosity when you guys installed them do you recall if you ever touched the bulb itself even inadvertently for a second when installing them? I always made sure to never touch the bulb in anyway. Wondering if that made a difference.
I'm surprised that you're surprised. It was common knowledge that Silverstars had terrible lifespans. Every time I mentioned that I ran them I inevitably got the "those POS's don't last for sh!t" comments. Back when I was using them, all my cars had easily accessible headlight sockets so I could change both bulbs in a minute or two wherever and whenever...I just always made sure I had a spare pair of Silverstars on hand. To me, $25 every 12-14 months for new headlight bulbs was well worth it for the improvement in lighting...since at that time there were no aftermarket projector retrofits and LEDs hadn't made it to the automotive world yet. Consider that I paid $600 for the Oculus setup on my JL...that's 24 pairs of Silverstars, or 8 years worth of the best lighting available for my three vehicles at that time.

And yeah, you never touch the bulb on halogens...everyone knows that.
Sponsored