plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
The issue is not weld but it get built. Toledo is on three shift now, who do you think weld the frame when a full-time welder get sick leave , a less experienced guy new hired correct? I am not saying a new guy must screw but there is only one possible reason fca screw some very basic stuff like the weld - they are not careful.
I believe those are welded by robotic arms, not actual welder (people).
Sponsored

gfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Is this thread about the 2018 issue (which should be fixed by now) or are we seeing issues with 2019s now?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I have a hard time believing that multiple bolts failed torque. I use over 10 torque guns a day on the engine line. Every single bolt/nut that requires a specific torque is tightened by a torque gun which is set for the correct torque. Each gun is electric and hooked up to a computer to verify proper torque. Also there are people whose only job is to check every single bolt/nut 5 times per shift
That sounds good for the engines, and I haven't had an issue with mine. That being said, how does the suspension line operate? I can assure you I had finger tight ball joints and rod ends not torqued to spec.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
The issue is not weld but it get built. Toledo is on three shift now, who do you think weld the frame when a full-time welder get sick leave , a less experienced guy new hired correct? I am not saying a new guy must screw but there is only one possible reason fca screw some very basic stuff like the weld - they are not careful.
No we are still on 2 shifts and I believe robots do all the welding. Frames are made by our supplier. Not sure if humans or robots weld at that facility.

JlEngineline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Just build them
That sounds good for the engines, and I haven't had an issue with mine. That being said, how does the suspension line operate? I can assure you I had finger tight ball joints and rod ends not torqued to spec.
Every single bolt and nut in every area is done the same way. If any bolt or nut doesn't meet the correct torque the line stops. But there is 1 way things can go wrong. Let's say a particular job tightens down 2 bolts that are the same torque and size. The operated can tighten down 1 bolt then "double tap" it again on accident and the computer thinks that 2 bolts were tighten and passes the job. Now the operated should know that he missed a bolt and to tighten it down. But unfortunately, some people are morons.

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I have a hard time believing that multiple bolts failed torque. I use over 10 torque guns a day on the engine line. Every single bolt/nut that requires a specific torque is tightened by a torque gun which is set for the correct torque. Each gun is electric and hooked up to a computer to verify proper torque. Also there are people whose only job is to check every single bolt/nut 5 times per shift
A number of us had hand tight ball joints. They are supposed to torque them then tighten until the next cotter pin slot. Some of them found the slot without tightening past the 35 foot pounds. I noticed this when I tightened mine.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Is this thread about the 2018 issue (which should be fixed by now) or are we seeing issues with 2019s now?
This is about the 2018 issue. Haven't heard it yet for the late 18's or the 19's. I spent a week under my 2019, and am pretty damn sure my welds are flawless.

gfo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
This is about the 2018 issue. Haven't heard it yet for the late 18's or the 19's. I spent a week under my 2019, and am pretty damn sure my welds are flawless.
Excellent. I really wouldn't know what I was looking for on my 2019 - my knowledge on welds is about as porous as the welds on the early 2018 models :)

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
my 18 has no weld issue

The weld issue affected a small percentage of 18s
They actually did a recall for the manufacturing dates affected, not sure what else people want them to do.

shit happens, they resolved it, no need to change vendors, yes those welds should have been caught on QC.

If you are custom ordering, just do it, check the welds when it gets to dealer, if you do not like the welds, you don't have to buy it.
if your buying off the lot, just look at welds.

when I bought mine off the lot I spend a good 2 hours driving it and looking through everything ( not sure why anyone wouldn't do that when spending 40k+ on anything)

So, if you want a wrangler, buy one.
If you want an excuse not to, then just read shit on the internet to justify not buying it.

More people are enjoying their JLs, than not.
So if they resolved it, why was the recall only for the track bar?

Maybe you missed this one- https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/found-terrible-welds-on-my-frame-horns.19182/

He only found those missed welds because he removed the front bumper. Too funny you all still believe FCA is watching out for you.

Oh and a question for you, have you removed your front bumper? If not you have no idea if your JL has weld issues or not. The only way to know would be to lay eyes on every single weld on that frame- doubt you've done that.

Just wait as more and more bad welds keep getting reported FCA will be forced into a much larger recall than just the track bar.

Last edited:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
This post makes no sense. The frame welds are not done by FCA Toledo plant line workers they are done by frame supplier Tower International. Whether the Toledo plant has 1 shift working 5 days a week or 3 shifts working 7 days a week and whether somebody is sick or not has absolutely no effect on what is happening over at the Tower facility that is building and welding the frames.

Sponsored

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
This post makes no sense. The frame welds are not done by FCA Toledo plant line workers they are done by frame supplier Tower International. Whether the Toledo plant has 1 shift working 5 days a week or 3 shifts working 7 days a week and whether somebody is sick or not has absolutely no effect on what is happening over at the Tower facility that is building and welding the frames.
Whoever screw the particular batch is not the issue, the issue is FCA is not careful.
I am just giving generalized example, whether it's supplier of Toledo or inside Toledo doesn't matter, whether supplier welder, or FCA intake qc inspector is at sleep doesnt matter. We all know rushing a job lead to mistake, and certainly this obvious quality is enough for me to hold off for a while

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Umm, what? I sure hope you are a French Canadian.
Sponsored