Welds on Bolts Breaking

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK; 2018 Rubicon JL; 392 on order
I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with 800 miles on her. I didn't like the rocker guards that came on it as they didn't extend beyond the door sill. On my 2015 Rubicon, the rock rails were perfect but I just don't like the ones that come stock. So, I purchased a new set from RockHard4x4 and really like them. So, the installation began...

The original rocker guards took only a few minutes to take off. The new RockHard4x4 guards use the same bolts but also use the three bolts with the large washers that hold the frame to the body. This is where I had issues.

I used an air wrench to get the old rocker guards off without any issues. However, when I used the air wrench to remove one of the three bolts from the body to the frame the weld broke on the nut up in the body. It took me a while to get the nut off the bolt but I did. I called RockHard4x4 and explained to the guy what had happened. He said they are seeing this in the JL and did not see it in the JK. He suggested that I don't use an air wrench because of the torque. So, I removed the other two on the driver's side with a ratchet without incident.

In putting the RockHard4x4 rocker guards on, everything went pretty smooth except the bolt that had broken free. It took me quite a while to get up in the hole where the bolt goes with a wire to get the bolt centered over the hole. Finally, I was able to get the bolt in and tighten that side up.

On the passenger side, I loosened all bolts by hand. On one bolt, it was what I thought was loose enough to use a 20V drill to get it out. Nope, the weld broke again. I followed the same steps as the first side and was able to get it bolted up. With that said, I wouldn't want to have to take them off and try it again.

If you are going to remove the bolts with the large washers on them from the frame to the body, be very careful as apparently, the weld is crap.
Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with 800 miles on her. I didn't like the rocker guards that came on it as they didn't extend beyond the door sill. On my 2015 Rubicon, the rock rails were perfect but I just don't like the ones that come stock. So, I purchased a new set from RockHard4x4 and really like them. So, the installation began...

The original rocker guards took only a few minutes to take off. The new RockHard4x4 guards use the same bolts but also use the three bolts with the large washers that hold the frame to the body. This is where I had issues.

I used an air wrench to get the old rocker guards off without any issues. However, when I used the air wrench to remove one of the three bolts from the body to the frame the weld broke on the nut up in the body. It took me a while to get the nut off the bolt but I did. I called RockHard4x4 and explained to the guy what had happened. He said they are seeing this in the JL and did not see it in the JK. He suggested that I don't use an air wrench because of the torque. So, I removed the other two on the driver's side with a ratchet without incident.

In putting the RockHard4x4 rocker guards on, everything went pretty smooth except the bolt that had broken free. It took me quite a while to get up in the hole where the bolt goes with a wire to get the bolt centered over the hole. Finally, I was able to get the bolt in and tighten that side up.

On the passenger side, I loosened all bolts by hand. On one bolt, it was what I thought was loose enough to use a 20V drill to get it out. Nope, the weld broke again. I followed the same steps as the first side and was able to get it bolted up. With that said, I wouldn't want to have to take them off and try it again.

If you are going to remove the bolts with the large washers on them from the frame to the body, be very careful as apparently, the weld is crap.
This is a known issue that has been discussed many times. The two front bolts have red Loctite while the rear four have blue Loctite. You have to heat the red Loctite to 550F or better to soften it or things will break. Many people have broken the bolts themselves.

OP
OP
switz

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have been nice for RockHard4x4 to include this information in their instructions.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Your write up is a success story unlike many who’s bolts actually broke.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
WOW, makes me feel lucky. I used a rattle wrench both ways on mine. 15 minutes on and off each side. Front bumper took a bit longer.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I don’t think I understand exactly what happened when you removed the front bolt on each side and how you got it fixed.

Your bolt itself didn’t break as has happened to many others, correct? Youre saying the nut that it treads into broke loose from the body itself? If that’s correct, how were you able to get the bolt out of it and what did you thread the bolt into when putting it back in? I’m all kind of confused...

OP
OP
switz

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Jeep noob: I guess I was luckier than others on this. On the first and second bolt that I had issues with, I got the bolt halfway out (I assume I was fortunate enough to make it just past the Loctite) and, using a large screwdriver, I applied pressure against the frame and the large washer while using a 20V drill and reversed the bolt out. It seems like the gods were with me as it worked on both. As far as getting them back in...using a flashlight and a piece of wire, I was able to find the loose nut and position it over the hole. The Jeep bolts are tapered so I was able to get the threads started. Using the same screwdriver against the washer and frame method, I was able to apply enough pressure to get the bolts on.

I am lucky that it worked as there is no way to get to the cavity that the nuts are in. I would imagine one would have to cut a hole in the floor in order to get to the nut. Jeep really screwed the pooch on these welds. How can they make it where you can't unscrew a bolt?

Can anyone provide me some links for the other similar posts?

hansolowookie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MANY JEEPS!
I don’t think I understand exactly what happened when you removed the front bolt on each side and how you got it fixed.

Your bolt itself didn’t break as has happened to many others, correct? Youre saying the nut that it treads into broke loose from the body itself? If that’s correct, how were you able to get the bolt out of it and what did you thread the bolt into when putting it back in? I’m all kind of confused...

dude no offense but for someone who doesn't even own a jeep you sure ask a lot of questions.

there are several spots that jeep chinced out and welded bolts to frame or body because with the boxed frame theres no way to get to them so they tack weld them to tighten .

This is true the rocker guards on the rubi have loctite , reds up front, so you have to get your torch out.

OP
OP
switz

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found them. Holy Crap! After reading about broken bolts and all, I feel I am lucky. I have a 2019 on order. I won't be using rock rails that require removing the frame bolts. With that said, it is a better, stronger way to attach them.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
dude no offense but for someone who doesn't even own a jeep you sure ask a lot of questions.

there are several spots that jeep chinced out and welded bolts to frame or body because with the boxed frame theres no way to get to them so they tack weld them to tighten .

This is true the rocker guards on the rubi have loctite , reds up front, so you have to get your torch out.
None taken. I ask a lot of questions because this is my first Wrangler. I have tons of general and specific knowledge of automobiles, but I’m learning specifics about THIS vehicle in an attempt to avoid the numerous problems that another people are having. I believe that’s why people share their issues, so that others can learn and not repeat their same mistakes. I’ll be installing the RockHard sliders so I pay attention to what’s worked and not worked for other owners. And sometimes ask questions when I don’t understand what’s said.

I found them. Holy Crap! After reading about broken bolts and all, I feel I am lucky. I have a 2019 on order. I won't be using rock rails that require removing the frame bolts. With that said, it is a better, stronger way to attach them.
You got them installed on your 2018 JLUR, and you’re going to use something else on the 2019 you just ordered?

Can you explain to me what you meant in your original post? Did you remove the bolts intact but break off the weld holding the captive nut on the body that they thread into? If so, how exactly did you get them back in with nothing to screw into?

OP
OP
switz

switz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None taken. I ask a lot of questions because this is my first Wrangler. I have tons of general and specific knowledge of automobiles, but I’m learning specifics about THIS vehicle in an attempt to avoid the numerous problems that another people are having. I believe that’s why people share their issues, so that others can learn and not repeat their same mistakes. I’ll be installing the RockHard sliders so I pay attention to what’s worked and not worked for other owners. And sometimes ask questions when I don’t understand what’s said.

You got them installed on your 2018 JLUR, and you’re going to use something else on the 2019 you just ordered?

Can you explain to me what you meant in your original post? Did you remove the bolts intact but break off the weld holding the captive nut on the body that they thread into? If so, how exactly did you get them back in with nothing to screw into?
I got the bolts off without them breaking as the welds holding the nuts failed. I used a piece of wire to get the nut over the hole and screwed the bolt into the nut.

Personally, I really like the RockHard rock rails that I just installed. But, I won't be buying anything that makes you remove the body to frame bolts. I got off lucky but many others didn't. I will only purchase rock rails that don't make you use the body to frame bolts as I am not going to test fate a second time.
Sponsored