Sponsored

Weird transmission/engine surge

Haineko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey guys. I have a 2018 JLUR automatic with 23k miles and ever since I’ve had the vehicle it’s had this sort of buck/surge when changing gears. I don’t really know how to describe it but it’s like a ghost shift and it’s most noticeable going from 5th to 6th. I have the gear indicator on. When I’m driving, the gears will change, I’ll feel and see it change, but then after a few seconds I’ll feel it surge like I hit a dip in the road. It happens in all gears.

Of course the dealer doesn’t know anything unless every light on the vehicle is on. I swear the engine could fall out and it would be “working as intended”.

Any info on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
I’ve got a 2020 jlu 3.6 auto that does this, but mine almost only happens in 3rd gear around 1,800 rpm before it shifts to first. If I drive with a little more throttle input than I normally do on the average day to work, the engine rpm will already be higher than 2k rpm when it shifts into 4th and I’d never know otherwise. It’s really weird. Same as you, the dealership is worthless. Not even worth taking it in. I’ve heard great things about the livernois engine and transmission tunes, but $1,300 is a lot to fix Jeeps mistakes. My Jeep also suffers from spark knock when it’s warm outside, so that’s another reason I’m considering the livernois tune eventually.

OP
OP
Haineko

Haineko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I really wanted to get the livernois tune but I’m worried about if something does go wrong with the motor and transmission. My Jeep is a CPO and I still have like 4 years on the power train warranty. That’s a lot to give up personally.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Does it do it when you accelerate harder or is it better? Does letting off the accelerator and reapplying make it worse or better?

OP
OP
Haineko

Haineko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Na, no more than any other vehicle I’ve driven. It’s only while actively driving. It almost feels like the fuel cuts for a split second. I’ve checked all the fuses and even pulled the battery to reset the pcm but no change.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Well, what you're describing sounds like a tranny that is slow to shift but it's hard to tell without details. Mine is particularly sticky in 2nd gear, doesn't like to coast at all. Just a quirk as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
Haineko

Haineko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I mean it could be but the shift definitely happens. Even in manual mode. Like the shift happens, rpms drop and I have power in the next gear but it gives a feeling of shifting again without actually changing.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I mean it could be but the shift definitely happens. Even in manual mode. Like the shift happens, rpms drop and I have power in the next gear but it gives a feeling of shifting again without actually changing.
Has this concern been resolved, Haineko? If not, send our team a PM with more details so we can dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That sounds like slipping. Not good.

LemonsOnly

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Any updates on this?

My '21 Willys feels like it may have the same problem with less than 200 miles on it. If your driving a constant speed, lets say 40-60mph and you keep the peddle steady it almost feels like your letting off the gas for a split second every so often, It's very subtle but enough for concern.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Haineko

Haineko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Unfortunately no. It really just seems like it's the OEM tune. Sometimes I disconnect the batteries for about 10 minutes or so to reset the computer and it runs great for a while.

Krazyk86cu

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Raptor SCrew, 2013 Boxster S, 2004 Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, just today I noticed my JL surging like this. It happens some at low speeds but I really noticed it around 70-80mph while on the highway. When I put the shifter in manual mode it went away. I’ve been supercharged for a few thousand miles and this just started.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey guys, just today I noticed my JL surging like this. It happens some at low speeds but I really noticed it around 70-80mph while on the highway. When I put the shifter in manual mode it went away. I’ve been supercharged for a few thousand miles and this just started.
Hi, Krazyk86cu. have you brought this to the attention of a dealer yet? If so and you still need some extra support, the Jeep Cares team is in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored