Sponsored

Weight distribution Hitch

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Where does Jeep state that the frontal area limit is different for boats? This boat in the picture is nowhere close to having a 30 square-feet frontal area. How in good faith can you take that position? I’m curious, are you an employee/agent for FCA?

Again, I believe the boat is enormous. In fact, I submit that it has a frontal area much larger than many RVs. In my humble experience, I think it’s more difficult to tow something that has a large side surface area (like a boat) that is somewhat light, especially when being passed on the highway. If you’ve towed a variety of trailers, you know that trailer sway is much worse under these conditions. Personally, I’ve towed boats, rvs, and uhaul trailers.

If FCA doesn’t want Wrangler owners to tow, fine. FCA shouldn’t market the Wrangler as a tow vehicle (such as by selling a tow option and advertising it as such in their marketing materials). I think it’s misleading for FCA to do this while at the same time including a very low frontal area tow limit in the fine print of their digital-only owners’ manual. Did you notice that the brochure didn’t provide the frontal area limit? FCA shouldn’t hide this detail in the fine print.

If Jeep Cares is listening, I’d like to know the boat model and trailer name in the brochure, so that we can calculate the frontal area.
I didn’t say Jeep has different frontal area limitations for boats. I said some manufacturers do.

lol. No I don’t work for FCA. I take the position based on owning a travel trailer with a 56 sq-ft (7’ x 8’) frontal area. It dawfs my tow vehicle, stands some 4 feet over it. So when I see a boat that barely protrudes from outside the Jeep’s own dimensions, it’s pretty clear that the frontal area is minimal and not anywhere near 60 sq-ft

The print version of the owner’s manual does in fact have the specs listed. I have a feeling you are looking at the “User’s Guide” that comes with the vehicle and not the “Owners Manual” that needs to be ordered and get mailed to you.
Sponsored

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I was also looking a that same camper, I like the features and construction...

To add even further question... export Wrangler JL's in Europe/Australia have a HIGHER tow rating than US spec'd models???
My German 2018 JLU (2.2 Diesel) has a tow rating of 2495 kg (5500 lbs), provided that the trailer has its own braking system, otherwise it's 750 kg (1650 lbs). I guess it is the same all over Europe.

In Germany, however, you may increase the tow rating to 3500 kg (7700 lbs) with a certificate that a garage in Munich negotiated with the German "TĂśV", no technical changes required.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Remember that an RV dealer is trying to sell an RV. Many years ago wife and I were at an RV show and I heard a salesman talking to a couple of older folks tell them that the 5th wheel they were looking at (a BIG 5’er) could be towed by “any 3/4 ton pickup”. The trailer in question weighed 21k, my NEW one ton Ford 350 dually at the time was rated to tow 14.5k! Dealer was wanting to sell the trailer and didn’t want to tell the couple they’d need a heavy (and expensive) truck. Would a 3/4 actually pull that trailer? Yeah, on flat land it’d pull. Stopping or pulling in the mountains, not so much, and the rig wouldhave been grossly overloaded. Because you “can” doesn’t mean you “should”. A WD hitch will NOT increase your towing capacity.
Sponsored