Sponsored

Warranty running out, any must do TSB’s before then?

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hey guys I have a 19 Moab v6 and only a few months warranty remaining. Other than the steering TSB which makes a huge difference in drivability are there any others I should be aware of while it’s on Chryslers dime?
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hey guys I have a 19 Moab v6 and only a few months warranty remaining. Other than the steering TSB which makes a huge difference in drivability are there any others I should be aware of while it’s on Chryslers dime?
Which brings up a related question: Will Jeep foot the bill on any TSBs after the warranty expires?

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I thought TSBs and Recalls were handled any time, warranty or not.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
TSB costs are only covered during the warranty period - it’s your dime after the expiration.

Recall costs are covered by the manufacturer.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
TSB costs are only covered during the warranty period - it’s your dime after the expiration.

Recall costs are covered by the manufacturer.
That's the general policy. But I thought someone posted that they got the steering TSB after warranty had expired. I could see them doing that on the steering to prevent it going to a NHTSA Recall status.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That's the general policy. But I thought someone posted that they got the steering TSB after warranty had expired. I could see them doing that on the steering to prevent it going to a NHTSA Recall status.
They got lucky if so since a technical service bulletin is not a recall. One free TSB fix won't prevent a recall and it takes a large number of complaints before an investigation is opened for a possible recall. An exception would be something like wheels flying off which are an obvious safety issue and would not require thousands of complaints. Loose/wandering steering will need to meet the safety definitions where accidents were caused by the issue. I don't see the steering wander falling into this criteria anytime soon, if ever.

But I had the TSB performed before my warranty ran out as a future cost savings.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
No idea. Some exceptions are made to every rule, but if you count on a TSB being covered after the warranty expires, there’s an extremely high probability that you’ll be disappointed with the outcome.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
No idea. Some exceptions are made to every rule, but if you count on a TSB being covered after the warranty expires, there’s an extremely high probability that you’ll be disappointed with the outcome.
My 2018 JLUR is at a dealer as of yesterday for accomplishing the latest steering TSB. My warranty expired in December. I took it in for the bulletin in November and we went back and forth a couple times to get agreement on what I needed to "unmodify" and they agreed to order the steering box and associated parts. The parts just came in and they agreed to do this under warranty, since my original case was opened in November.
Sponsored