Warm-up time

Aloyouis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU 2.0, 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0, 2018 Ford Focus ST 2.4
For those of you with the 2.0, how long does it take for your engine to warm up? From cold it takes mine about 3 1/2 minutes for the RPMs to drop from 1500 to 900 and I feel comfortable backing out of the garage. Even when driven recently (under an hour) it seems like it takes two minutes in order to have the RPMs decline.

Is this what everybody else is seeing as well?
Sponsored

nolan14

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Yes, I believe it’s for emissions. It does take a bit for sure, can be annoying at times.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
For those of you with the 2.0, how long does it take for your engine to warm up? From cold it takes mine about 3 1/2 minutes for the RPMs to drop from 1500 to 900 and I feel comfortable backing out of the garage. Even when driven recently (under an hour) it seems like it takes two minutes in order to have the RPMs decline.

Wondering how long it will take when its 10 below zero ! Looking forward to those mornings. No wonder Vermont is empty !

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Wondering how long it will take when its 10 below zero ! Looking forward to those mornings. No wonder Vermont is empty !
Vermont is beautiful. I had left it off the list of possible retirement spots, not because of the cold in winter, but because of the hippie liberals. But, since they are reproducing like cockroaches and polluting nearly every state, I might look at Vermont again. Suggestions on a quite, beautiful, retirement area?

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Vermont is beautiful. I had left it off the list of possible retirement spots, not because of the cold in winter, but because of the hippie liberals. But, since they are reproducing like cockroaches and polluting nearly every state, I might look at Vermont again. Suggestions on a quite, beautiful, retirement area?
Too funny ! Good question . I ski , so I would have to be near a ski area,but if that were not important ,I might gravitate to the Manchester , Dorset area. Great golf courses and fabulous fishing. Quechee is beautiful as well and just a 2 hour ride to Boston. New Hampshire has no state income tax and no sales tax . If you come here, you have to steer clear of my hippie liberal daughter ! She is overbearing. hahahaha

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD

Engine is not warm when the RPMs drop to normal idle, it takes about 7 to 10 miles of driving in cold weather before the engine and oil are at the normal operating temperature, the coolant will warm much quicker...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Pretty much the same here

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Engine is not warm when the RPMs drop to normal idle, it takes about 7 to 10 miles of driving in cold weather before the engine and oil are at the normal operating temperature, the coolant will warm much quicker...
Exactly! Depending on the size of the oil pan on your car, it takes a good bit longer for the oil to come to operating temperature. High rpm start up is to warm up the catalytic converters for emissions related issues. With many of my cars, when I go to a catless header set up, I always turn off that feature in my tune.

OP
OP

Aloyouis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Aloyouis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the article espouse throwing it in reverse to back out while the RPMs are at 1500 or 1600?

bgirly49

First Name
Bernadette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Firecracker Red Wrangler Sport JL

Yep..about 3 minutes in mornings..and yep, another short " warm up" between errands.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I just added the Borla Climber exhaust (touring prototype) and it is pretty loud at the high idle when cold. I quiets right down once it warms up (usually about 60-90 seconds for me, but we're in So-Cal and it's not that cold out).

But I don't wait to drive, once it's in gear (forward or reverse) I just drive casual (but don't LOOK like I'm driving casual... Star Wars reference... LOL)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Yeah they discovered years ago that letting your engine warm up is actually worse for it (idle with no load). Much better to give it 30 seconds to get the oil circulating and drive easy for the first 10 or so minutes (depending on outside temperature). All you remote starters are actually hurting your motor more than us manual drivers.;)
Sponsored

Last edited: