Sponsored

Venting JL Rubicon making them functional!

Try opening the vents and replace the insulation?

• Total voters

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF

So I watched this video and REALLY want to do this but my question is I live in Maine and it snows here ALOT. I wouldn’t mind giving my Jeep more air to breath but want to put the insulation back would that still work/help? And has anyone done this? I’m just nervous to break the plastic clips
Sponsored

OP
OP
TuTTerZZ12

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
Sorry if that was a little confusing! I want to cut holes in the vents and open them up and then replace the insulation so water doesn’t go straight into the engine because we get a lot of snow and sleet here and I’m afraid the water over time could damage stuff.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
IIRC the insulation has a channel/groove that lines up with the hole in the vents.

I think it would still do something but water would be directed in a wide stream to the side (and rear I'd think) if you opened up the vents as he shows then later re-installed the insulation

Are you having problems with excessive water temps? I'm not sure there's any benefit here....?

Also on a hot day in direct sun insulation works in both directions; for me idling in Moab with the a/c on....I have to wonder if the additional airflow would simply be a wash with the greenhouse effect of a scorching hot metal hood.... honestly not sure

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Might be asking the obvious here but why couldn’t you trim the insulation panel and replace it with clear passage for the vents?

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Here is a thread with a solution on this. Post#92. The guy basically cut holes underneath the solid parts of the vent and then used small plastic rings and RTV to keep water from going into the engine bay.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This guy just made it so Wranglers can be thousands $$$ cheaper. Fire all of Jeep engineers and let this guy design the next one.
Sponsored