USB on with ignition

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Hi All! I’ve searched and searched and found on the forum how to change my cargo area 12v to switched on with ignition… Great!!!!
Now, I’m trying to figure out if I can do the same with the USB outlets in the dashboard area, but not finding anything through search. Is that even possible?
Thanks in advance!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL USB on with ignition 1AB2941C-0EE5-419C-BC4D-B144CD4CA0BC
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi All! I’ve searched and searched and found on the forum how to change my cargo area 12v to switched on with ignition… Great!!!!
Now, I’m trying to figure out if I can do the same with the USB outlets in the dashboard area, but not finding anything through search. Is that even possible?
Thanks in advance!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL USB on with ignition 1AB2941C-0EE5-419C-BC4D-B144CD4CA0BC
@Jeeb

All USB ports will stay lighted/powered up for approx. one hour after ignition off of your JL.

IF after that, you open the a door, the USB's will relight/power up for another hour.

IF your JL has proximity and you touch the door handle the USB's will light up/power up and stay on for another hour.

No, no way to prevent this.

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
@Jeeb

All USB ports will stay lighted/powered up for approx. one hour after ignition off of your JL.

IF after that, you open the a door, the USB's will relight/power up for another hour.

IF your JL has proximity and you touch the door handle the USB's will light up/power up and stay on for another hour.

No, no way to prevent this.
Oh wow. But it will turn off after one hour? So I guess that achieves what I want anyway. Just an hour later!

Thanks as always @Rhinebeck01 !!!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh wow. But it will turn off after one hour? So I guess that achieves what I want anyway. Just an hour later!

Thanks as always @Rhinebeck01 !!!
@Jeeb

I have verified this behavior of 4 JL's and a JT. Just a little bit past an hour on each vehicle the power to USB ports is turned off..

Again, no UConnect setting, etc. will change this behavior.

IF you have say a dongle that you want power off to before an hour, consider having an on/off (switched) USB power & data off extension cable in the mix...

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
You could always add an aftermarket version somewhere else that is tied to the ignition circuit.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
You could always add an aftermarket version somewhere else that is tied to the ignition circuit.
Thanks. I thought of that, but I just don't know how to wire it to the Uconnect unit. I'm OK with it powering down after 1 hour. :)

ITCowboy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU
@Jeeb I know this is an old thread but how did you move the usb in the cargo area to ignition?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
@Jeeb I know this is an old thread but how did you move the usb in the cargo area to ignition?
I just went with Rhinbeck01’s info and just deal with it powering down after an hour for the UConnect system. I also added a regular USB port under my dash for ignition controlled USB ports.
Sponsored