Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
  • Banned
Today I decided to try a thumb drive for media. I copied a bunch of mp3's to a flash drive and plugged it into USB 2 port. I go to Media and select port 2 and it just says USB Connect error. I tried it on all USB ports and I get the same thing. The ports seem to work fine for charging, but no media on any.ports. The odd thing is that when I first got my JL in Feb of last year, I know it worked, but at the time, USBC would not work with my phone for Android Auto. I haven't tried a flash drive since I've had android auto working. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried multiple USB drives from 8gb to 32gb..

IMG_20190505_190925-X3.jpg
Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Was the drive used for a previous purpose? You might try a reformat and reload of songs. UConnect is looking for a vanilla format.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
What's the file system on the USB drive? I could be wrong, but I think the UConnect only supports FAT32, not exFAT or NTFS.

tjsooley

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I had this same issue. 8gb flash drive formatted Fat32 after doing a diskpart to clean the layout. had 300 MP3's on and just usb error. Jeep is a 2021 JLU picked it up this past weekend

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
IF I don't drive for a couple days, I get USB error. Plugging the drive in to another of the USB ports sometimes works. Also - sometimes it can't remember where it stopped playing and starts from the same song each time (strangely enough 'Drivers Seat' be Sniff n the Tears lol). The USB error thing is annoying as hell. Sometimes takes me 20 minutes before I get some music to play. I have even tried stopping the vehicle, getting out, locking the doors, walking around and getting back in (don't laugh - once it worked :))

I know damn well when I take it to the dealer, still under warranty, they won't find the problem or it won't occur, or they will tell me i have a defective USB stick (even though sometimes it plays fine).

I did have an Audi that would only accept FAT32 formatted drives, but it definitely would not ever recognize any other format. I don't know off the top of my head what the format of this one is, but it does work most of the time.

Sponsored

tjsooley

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I work in IT and for shite and giggles try this. Take a 2GB or smaller flash drive and format it FAT not FAT 32 and see if it works any better. It should not make a difference but if a 2gb flash drive formatted fat 16 works fine then the issue is whatever storage controller the uconnect unit uses

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
I work in IT and for shite and giggles try this. Take a 2GB or smaller flash drive and format it FAT not FAT 32 and see if it works any better. It should not make a difference but if a 2gb flash drive formatted fat 16 works fine then the issue is whatever storage controller the uconnect unit uses
will give it a try, though one of my USBs is 1G (just not sure how it is formatted).
Sponsored