Sponsored

Upgrade to a JT?

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Pickup trucks always retail for less than SUVs. Just take a look at Ford, Chevy or Toyota: their pickups are all priced below their SUVs.

Interestingly, FCA launched JT with a $3,000 premium over a comparably equipped JL. But over the past year, FCA kept jacking up JL prices every couple months, while it placed JT on Employee Pricing. Now, FCA prices JT below JL, just like every other automaker.

The bottom line is this: consumers overall, perceive Gladiator to have more direct competition than Wrangler.

Of course that may all change the day Bronco finally comes out...circa 2035 at this rate.
I think there are more people cross shopping JTs and wranglers than there are cross shopping gladiators and tacomas.. I went from a 2 dr JK to a gladiator because I needed extra room for kids and dogs but wouldn't give up going doorless/topless.
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Just do what I did.

My wife has the Rubicon as her vehicle and I maintain my truck as my vehicle. Then I really get both without being questioned and she loves having a Jeep. Easy fix.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think there are more people cross shopping JTs and wranglers than there are cross shopping gladiators and tacomas.. I went from a 2 dr JK to a gladiator because I needed extra room for kids and dogs but wouldn't give up going doorless/topless.
Well, a JLU would give you those things, too.

There's heavy cross-shopping between JT and JL, no doubt. But JT also gets cross-shopped against midsize pickups and, because of its steep price, against fullsize pickups, too.

For the same amount of money, a fullsize pickup will get you more comfort, more features, more power, more towing, more bed space, more efficiency. But all that matters only if you value those things.

Quick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I too have been thinking about the "upgrade" to a diesel JT due to usability of the bed. Realities seem to be different though. People mentioned cargo vs people, which is a major tradeoff (I have kids that consume the rear seats - getting groceries is harder with them. Basic stuff).

I've resigned myself to one of two things, for now:
- rent a trailer when I need it (so I don't have to worry about parking it), or buy one if that exceeds 3 times a year
- rent the Home Depot truck when I need to bring home lumber/etc.

So far, neither of these have occurred and I've continued to enjoy the perks of the enclosed quarters of the JLU.

My advice is to wait and see how many times you actually "need" the JT vs just "want" the JT.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I am a bit confused on the cargo vs. people conundrum. Isn't the backseat space of a Gladiator actually bigger than a Wrangler? And then there is also an entire bed for cargo.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am a bit confused on the cargo vs. people conundrum. Isn't the backseat space of a Gladiator actually bigger than a Wrangler? And then there is also an entire bed for cargo.
Passenger space is about the same on JT and JL. I believe JT gives you an extra inch in rear legroom.

The cargo bed is pretty much useless unless you cover it. Good luck putting your briefcase or the groceries back there in the rain...or when you get on the freeway.

For this reason, a lot of people put a canopy on their pickups. But if I were to do that, I'd just get a Wrangler. It comes with a nicely integrated "canopy" from the factory.

I view Wrangler as a truck with a short lined bed and a standard factory canopy.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 1613155480292

Last edited:

crazy90'skid

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Silverado RCSB, 2020 JLUR
why buy a gladiator with dana 44's a 137 inch wheelbase and only a v6 or a small diesel when for the same price you can get a roughly 140 inch wheelbase 2 door Ram 2500 or f250 with one tons already on and run a lift to fit 37's on the truck that won't need a 20k axle upgrade. oh and yeah they both will have a lot more power and importantly torque down low, we all know they make lockers for dana 60's and rear lockers can be had stock. This is just my 2 cents, I would never buy a JT as long as I can get a 2 door 3/4 or 1 ton truck around the same price or less

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Passenger space is about the same on JT and JL. I believe JT gives you an extra inch in rear legroom.

The cargo bed is pretty much useless unless you cover it. Good luck putting your briefcase or the groceries back there in the rain...or when you get on the freeway.

For this reason, a lot of people put a canopy on their pickups. But if I were to do that, I'd just get a Wrangler. It comes with a nicely integrated "canopy" from the factory.

I view Wrangler as a truck with a short bed and a standard factory canopy.
Maybe I assumed too much but I just assumed almost all Gladiator owners would have a canopy for the bed.

It does seem like there is a lot of hate for the vehicle, but reading other car forums I am on, before the debut this is pretty much exactly what people were asking for. Before the debut were people asking for a longer bed? From what I remember anyway people wanted it the size it is now.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
Jeeps have always had problems with rust, it's just what comes with jeeps. The CJ 5's and 7's always rusted at the window frame where it folds down and ALL jeeps have rusty frames. The rusty frame fix is the black rust inhibitor spray paint, I touch everything under the chasey once a month, but I live in Tahoe and they use salt in the winter.
A Jeep will always be high maintenance kind of like a wife but less expensive and sometimes more fun.

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
“...the better option would be to rent a truck from the home improvement store for $20...”

these things are not just $20, they add mileage, gas, a weekend surcharge in my case, $20 is total bait & switch job...

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Well, a JLU would give you those things, too.

There's heavy cross-shopping between JT and JL, no doubt. But JT also gets cross-shopped against midsize pickups and, because of its steep price, against fullsize pickups, too.

For the same amount of money, a fullsize pickup will get you more comfort, more features, more power, more towing, more bed space, more efficiency. But all that matters only if you value those things.
On a JL/JLU unless you buy a Rubi, you are stuck with the little front axle.. no 37's. JLU is MORE $ than a Gladiator... It was a no brainer for me. Hard to take the doors and roof off an F150, and it won't fit in my garage.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
“...the better option would be to rent a truck from the home improvement store for $20...”

these things are not just $20, they add mileage, gas, a weekend surcharge in my case, $20 is total bait & switch job...
That may vary on state or location. I have never been charged for mileage, weekend surcharge, etc. Refueling to replace what I used is expected and would not be an additional cost because you would have to put fuel in your own vehicle. Even at $50 per occurrence, you would still be ahead.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
why buy a gladiator with dana 44's a 137 inch wheelbase and only a v6 or a small diesel when for the same price you can get a roughly 140 inch wheelbase 2 door Ram 2500 or f250 with one tons already on and run a lift to fit 37's on the truck that won't need a 20k axle upgrade. oh and yeah they both will have a lot more power and importantly torque down low, we all know they make lockers for dana 60's and rear lockers can be had stock. This is just my 2 cents, I would never buy a JT as long as I can get a 2 door 3/4 or 1 ton truck around the same price or less
But part of the allure of the JT is that, unlike the other options, it allows you to take the roof and doors off. If the only goal is to get the best tool for the job then anyone could make the same argument on a Wrangler and say "why spend $50K on a Wrangler when for less money i can get a Pacifica to haul the kids and dog?"

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
On a JL/JLU unless you buy a Rubi, you are stuck with the little front axle.. no 37's. JLU is MORE $ than a Gladiator... It was a no brainer for me. Hard to take the doors and roof off an F150, and it won't fit in my garage.
Sure, JT has a beefier front axle; whop-dee-doo. I owned a JKUR Recon with a super beefy front axle: it drove like a freaking tractor.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. The same is true of Wranglers and Gladiators.

I see this is only your third post. If your goal for joining is to justify why you bought a Gladiator over a Wrangler, then you are in the wrong forum. This is a Wrangler forum.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Sure, JT has a beefier front axle; whop-dee-doo. I owned a JKUR Recon with a super beefy front axle: it drove like a freaking tractor.

Everything in life is a tradeoff. The same is true of Wranglers and Gladiators.

I see this is only your third post. If your goal for joining is to justify why you bought a Gladiator over a Wrangler, then you are in the wrong forum. This is a Wrangler forum.
Thanks for the forum policing. I've owned 3 wranglers and a gladiator.

When I decided I needed to upgrade from the JK, I spent months reading the JL forums, and was planning on building a rubi 2 door.
I also read most of the tech and build stuff over here since they have been out for 2 more model years and there are some extremely good people that share info that don't visit the JT forums..

My point was only this, there are some distinct advantages that the JT has over non-rubi wranglers. If that upsets you, the internet isn't for you. And beefier front axle isn't an advantage? I'll be sure to let the JL guys I wheel with know that their busted carriers and chipped pinions don't matter. If you wheel these things, they break. And starting with stronger for less money isn't a negative.

Enjoy your weekend.
Sponsored