Upgrade to a JT?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Got to thinking today. I am in the process of buying a house and i have a 2 door atm. I was throwing around the idea of getting into a Gladiator so that i can still have my convertible offroader while having a truck bed if i needed to get house goodies.

My question is, does anyone know if the JT has the same bullshit problems the JL does? Mainly the corrosion issues with the hinges and the swing panels or with the clutch? I have been effected by both and it seems like these two issues keep popping up and will not go away. I have been on the JT forum and could not find the answers i was looking for.

I would hate to get into another Jeep and have the same annoyances.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My question is, does anyone know if the JT has the same bullshit problems the JL does? Mainly the corrosion issues with the hinges and the swing panels or with the clutch? I have been effected by both and it seems like these two issues keep popping up and will not go away.
Yes, Gladiator is included in the manual transmission/ clutch recall.

328D5F22-2449-44A8-A467-B6C7D43E9B30.png

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

The JT has the exact same problems mechanically and with with the paint on the older models. I have a 2021 JLUR and have not had any problems at all, so not sure if I am lucky or they just figured it out.

I went back and forth on the JT vs the JL. I plan on using mine off road and after going on several trips with JT's in our group, it was clear that similarly lifted JT's get hung up much more than the JL. The JT is not going to haul enough for me either, so I went with the JL. If you are doing mild crawling and hauling the JT would be fine.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I love Gladiators. But I wouldnā€™t call going from a JL to a JT an ā€œupgrade.ā€

Iā€™ve owned several Wranglers over the years. I traded my JK for a Toyota Tacoma; I was back in a Wrangler within six months.

These are the things I didnā€™t like about owning a midsize pickup:

1. Length of the thing. It looked ā€œcompactā€ until I tried to park the thing. It got old fast. Gladiator is 18 inches longer than JLU.
  2. Thereā€™s room for people OR for groceries, but not both. Unless you plan on putting an ugly canopy, your groceries, gym bag, etc. need to go inside. If you are carrying people, you have to put everything else in the back. Thatā€™s a no-no if (a) itā€™s raining or (b) you are going to get on the freeway. Donā€™t ask how I know...
We tend to take for granted Wranglerā€™s maneuverability around town and everyday convenience.

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon 2-Dr
I see a lot of JTs on the road. I understand that some folks like them, but they're not for me. I see a Jeep that can't do what a Jeep does, and a truck that can't do what a truck does. Great for some, I'm sure, but not for me.

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
@SirMagnus89

I love my Gladiator. I had a solid axle land cruiser truck when i lived in africa, the gladiator is the closest thing to it, and better in most ways. Its better than the Tacoma in EVERY way. My mid 2020 build has not had door hinge issues. I recently added rock blokz flaps to avoid it. The Gladiator is subject to the manual trans recall. Ill also point out i wasnt cross shopping Gladiator/Wrangler. I was cross shopping other midsize trucks.

I had to trade in my 2500 on account of fitting in the parking garage at work, and this way after a lift and 37ā€™s ill still be shorter height wise than my 2500 was stock. With 1500 and 2500 trucks getting so big, the gladiator is easier to get down the trail and through life.

it isnt hard to park at all. The turning radius is great. Parallel parking is easy and so Is backing into spaces. Dont listen to anyone who says other wise. If you can drive any pick up truck, you can drive this one. Many wrangler owners these days are country club types that have their wrangler for image and status; and because their S Class Benz parks itself, theyve forgotten how to on their own.

i need a pick up for daily life. Ive remodeled the house, taken stuff to the dump, picked up pallet frame crates of fire wood, etc. it comes in handy for daily life.

i use a $180 tonneau cover from amazon for all my groceries and stuff. It stays dry no problem. Dont have room for stuff? Lol. K. I take my 2 kids camping with room to spare.

the longer wheel base is a disadvantage for rockbashing or if youre the type of jeep owner that doesnt have a clue how to trail drive, or is dead set on taking the hardest line to nowhere at every opportunity. Itll scrape more than a SUV; but the 4 door wrangler scrapes more than a 2 door. Pick your poison. Cargo capacity and ride quality or breakover angle.

i think the gladiator is the better choice for everyday life, fine for trail use, but not as good a rock basher. Put some armor in the right places and forget about it. Youll also get to experience how utterly douchy some wrangler owners are as they give you out-the-window thumbs down in response to your wave. Hahahahaha

all that said, if your current JL has frustrated you, i wouldnt get another jeep. Get a ford Or a chevy and go experience a whole litany of new problems. Youll be dying to get back in a Jeep. If you are a hard core extreme trail rock basher; then the Gladiator -and anything OTHER than a 2 door- will probably let you down for that purpose. But its as capable on trail as a JLU as long as you dont mind a little more skid plate/slider marking

or, buy a trailer.

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Iā€™ve both a JTR and a JLR and when I read folks write about things they know little to nothing about I just chuckle.

You wonā€™t go wrong upgrading to a JT...
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? EF05D0E5-1BEF-46F9-ADD9-95C60D36D45A

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 500F7731-7DF3-4586-802F-46C7AEB11984

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 49366EA8-9B8A-4790-A438-4CD577B03C09

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to a JT? 562DAB42-5FC8-499E-AF92-55101B20287B

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Iā€™ve both a JTR and a JLR and when I read folks write about things they know little to nothing about I just chuckle.

EF05D0E5-1BEF-46F9-ADD9-95C60D36D45A.jpeg

500F7731-7DF3-4586-802F-46C7AEB11984.jpeg

49366EA8-9B8A-4790-A438-4CD577B03C09.jpeg

562DAB42-5FC8-499E-AF92-55101B20287B.jpeg
yeah but this is from the crowd that needs 37ā€™s to do what you can do in a toyota on 32ā€™s or 33ā€™s; or what can really be done stock with a good line.

id have to say the worst part of owning a jeep is often times other jeep owners. I cant get over how incredibly douchy mall crawler broā€™s have gotten over the years.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
yeah but this is from the crowd that needs 37ā€™s to do what you can do in a toyota on 32ā€™s or 33ā€™s; or what can really be done stock with a good line.

id have to say the worst part of owning a jeep is often times other jeep owners. I cant get over how i credibly douchy mall crawler broā€™s have gotten over the years.
šŸ˜‚ well, both of mine are on 37s and neither have a scratch. Toyota drivers are the rudest people Iā€™ve ever encountered on the trail, so there is that...šŸ˜

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
šŸ˜‚ well, both of mine are on 37s and neither have a scratch. Toyota drivers are the rudest people Iā€™ve ever encountered on the trail, so there is that...šŸ˜
theyre second to Jeep drivers. Lol. The clique is strong with them though, ill agree.

im on 37ā€™s too, but only because they arent big anymore and fit with minimal work. wrangler people still wish it was a secret society so they could keep that controlling interest in condescension, but a 37 hasnt been big since i had a YJ.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
If you need a truck, buy a truck. JL to JT is not an upgrade.
Exactly. The Gladiator is an overpriced gimmick as evidentby 40 of them sitting at my local Ram/Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler lot collecting dust. .....Just get a Ram 1500. You will not be disappointed and where in the hell is my 2 door JL Moab??

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Exactly. The Gladiator is an overpriced gimmick as evidentby 40 of them sitting at my local Ram/Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler lot collecting dust. .....Just get a Ram 1500. You will not be disappointed.
until you need to get it though Needles District or down Black Bear pass.

and bro. You drive a wrangler. Id ease up on the over-priced talk šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚