Sponsored

Updated Pentastar Filters (Maintenance Thread)

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Just FYI... any new Wrangler JL purchase automatically enrolls you in the "Jeep Wave" program, which gives you many benefits. One of them is two free oil and filter changes at the dealership per year, which will be plenty for everybody except those who drive a TON of miles. Might as well let the dealership treat you! Then you are also logged into the system which will help you if any warranty issues arise in the future.
Tell the dealership l said hi. You won't see my Wrangler there.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Second that! You can do your own oil change with full synthetic Pennzoil and filter from Wally World for $40, can also get the filters on Amazon for $3 less. Personally I'm changing the oil more than they recommend. I'd only let a dealer touch my Jeep for something I can't do (like and alignment) or a warranty issue.
Remember, you're a number, it's not their Jeep, it's a ticket they need to work on. You'll have way more peace of mind doing it yourself. Plus it literally takes 15 mins.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Second that! You can do your own oil change with full synthetic Pennzoil and filter from Wally World for $40, can also get the filters on Amazon for $3 less. Personally I'm changing the oil more than they recommend. I'd only let a dealer touch my Jeep for something I can't do (like and alignment) or a warranty issue.
Remember, you're a number, it's not their Jeep, it's a ticket they need to work on. You'll have way more peace of mind doing it yourself. Plus it literally takes 15 mins.
You can buy 5 qts. of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Full Synthetic, for $27.45. Pennzoil always has a $10 rebate offering so the oil ends up costing you $17.45. You can buy the OEM oil filter on amazon for $6.39. So, you end up paying $23.84 if you do the oil change yourself.

No driving to a dealership and sitting there for about an hour. No oil change guy fooling with your Jeep. No greasy finger prints, no door dings.... and no service writer trying to jam up your ass, air filters, and all the other assorted crapola that want to sell you.

I might add that it a very positive thing for the vehicle owner to get under there and look over the underside of his vehicle. Oil change time gets you doing this.

Last edited:

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I know where my jeep is serviced if it needs a filter, they bring me my filters and show them to me. They do a complete inspection and let me know when something is starting to show up, seal leak, brake life, and tire wear. Then the car is washed by hand and vacuumed out. But I guess sitting in a dealer for 45-60 minutes looking at some cars isn't fun for some.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You can buy 5 qts. of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Full Synthetic, for $27.45. Pennzoil always has a $10 rebate offering so the oil ends up costing you $17.45. You can buy the OEM oil filter on amazon for $6.39. So, you end up paying $23.84 if you do the oil change yourself.

No driving to a dealership and sitting there for about an hour. No oil change guy fooling with your Jeep. No greasy finger prints, no door dings.... and no service writer trying to jam up your ass, air filters, and all the other assorted crapola that want to sell you.

I might add that it a very positive thing for the vehicle owner to get under there and look over the underside of his vehicle. Oil change time gets you doing this.
If I have to pay for it, I do all my own oil changes. Been doing it for decades. My point is, if Jeep is going to offer it for free, with tire rotations for free, and it gets logged into their system which prevents any chance of issues with warranty claims in the next couple of years, then why not?? It would be foolish not to take them up on that offer.

When the Jeep Wave Program membership ends, I won't pay to stay enrolled. I'll just switch back to doing my own thing at that point. But for now... sure I'll save the money.

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If I have to pay for it, I do all my own oil changes. Been doing it for decades. My point is, if Jeep is going to offer it for free, with tire rotations for free, and it gets logged into their system which prevents any chance of issues with warranty claims in the next couple of years, then why not?? It would be foolish not to take them up on that offer.

When the Jeep Wave Program membership ends, I won't pay to stay enrolled. I'll just switch back to doing my own thing at that point. But for now... sure I'll save the money.
Same here. I did not realize it was an automatic enrollment with the purchase. Once I saw that I decided the same as you. Everyone just needs to make sure they find a dealer they are comfortable with for doing the service.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Mobil has current rebate offers going on now.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/17-off-motor-oil-may-2018

rebates are only good from participating retailers (not Walmart, Amazon or AutoZone).

Just picked up Mobil 1 0W-20 at Rural King for $26.99 before $12 mail in rebate. Rural King also had the cheaper Mobil Super Full Synthetic 0W-20 for $18.99 (before $10 rebate) and even their own private label Harvest King 0W-20 Full Synthetic (Citgo oil) for like $12.99 (5 quart jugs)

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

Phooey in regard to the warranty comment you made. LOL.

I'll let you take your JL to the dealer. I'll pass.

I mentioned my reasons for not going to a dealer for an oil change. Can give you even more reasons not to..

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Phooey in regard to the warranty comment you made. LOL.

I'll let you take your JL to the dealer. I'll pass.

I mentioned my reasons for not going to a dealer for an oil change. Can give you even more reasons not to..

My GF has a 2017 Toyota RAV4. Toyota offers 2 year free maintenance. Oil changes @ 10k miles and tire rotation @ 5k miles. Her last trip at 15k miles for tire rotation they told her it was out of alignment. Charged her $110 for alignment. She didn’t know any better so she paid. Then she’s not happy how it drives. Pulling to the right. It was fine before the alignment. She went back a week later, this time with me. Owner’s manual states wheel alignments are covered first year/12k miles. The 16 year old kids put it on the machine again. Service rep states the toe was not set properly and they will fix. She asked why wasn’t my alignment checked at my 10k service when it would have been covered under warranty? They did not have an answer. Of course they didn’t, that’s how they screw the customer. So she asked to speak to service manager. She got her $110 refunded. I never said a word the entire time. Basically if the dealer didn’t mess up the alignment the first time my GF would have just accepted the $110 cost of the alignment. Since the dealer made it worse, she’s asking why did I just pay $110 for them to screw up my alignment?

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I like free stuff! Whoever doesn't want to go to the dealer for a FREE oil change and FREE rotate please let me use them.:fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
I like free stuff! Whoever doesn't want to go to the dealer for a FREE oil change and FREE rotate please let me use them.:fingerscrossed:
Well, sine you are a tech at a dealership, I'd expect you to be pro dealership.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Well, sine you are a tech at a dealership, I'd expect you to be pro dealership.
Of course I am! I work for a company I like, one that is very reputable in my area. If I worked for a crap company(I have before), I would be out the door!

I am working on a warranty JK today with 116k miles that has a lifetime warranty. I/we can void this customers warranty with one picture, but since the cust does their maint(its all on file) at the DEALERSHIP we will honor the broken axle shaft and the knocking engine. Yes it all just happened at the same time...

Dont mind the ARB lockers, the modified air box, and the tuner... if you were to do this and not spend a dime at the dealership after buying your jeep, no dealer would cover this. Sometimes it's worth the little extra time and money.

I have customers who will not let our oil changers touch their cars. I get it, they are young, dont get paid well and they make mistakes. That is why they want the techs in the shop do the work.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Of course I am! I work for a company I like, one that is very reputable in my area. If I worked for a crap company(I have before), I would be out the door!

I am working on a warranty JK today with 116k miles that has a lifetime warranty. I/we can void this customers warranty with one picture, but since the cust does their maint(its all on file) at the DEALERSHIP we will honor the broken axle shaft and the knocking engine. Yes it all just happened at the same time...

Dont mind the ARB lockers, the modified air box, and the tuner... if you were to do this and not spend a dime at the dealership after buying your jeep, no dealer would cover this. Sometimes it's worth the little extra time and money.

I have customers who will not let our oil changers touch their cars. I get it, they are young, dont get paid well and they make mistakes. That is why they want the techs in the shop do the work.

I hear you... Yes, it is good to have a decent relationship with a good Service Department at a Jeep dealership. I have such a relationship with multiple Jeep dealership Service Departments...... BUT, for the reasons you mentioned in your post, I keep the dealership oil changers far far away from my vehicles. I'd rather pay the few $ to do oil changes on my own. To each his own..
Sponsored