Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer:
Uncomfirmed, possible rumor!

Had an unkown, unreliable source (on Facebook of all places) who I know for fact is a master Chrysler mechanic tell me Jeep is putting some kind of firewall/gateway between the ECU/Computer and Radio, to the OBD port. He said they are preventing people from using programmers such as FlasPaqs and others. Now I know good and well anything can be bypassed, and it will eventually be done, but has this been confirmed or debunked already?
Sponsored

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Disclaimer:

Had an unkown, unreliable source (on Facebook of all places) who I know for fact is a master Chrysler mechanic tell me Jeep is putting some kind of firewall/gateway between the ECU/Computer and Radio, to the OBD port. He said they are preventing people from using programmers such as FlasPaqs and others. Now I know good and well anything can be bypassed, and it will eventually be done, but has this been confirmed or debunked already?
I certainly don't know for sure, but from what I do know, I would at this point believe it. There was an individual that developed a programmer/tuner for the Grand Cherokees that plugged into the OBD port. Called SmartStopStart that remembered the previous setting for the ESS so one didn't have to turn it off every time they started the jeep. Essentially in 2018, the programmer no longer worked. They found out FCA did put a firewall between the OBD and ECU which rendered his unit unworkable. He has since found a location under the seat (not sure all the specifics on this) that allowed him to bypass the firewall though and now his unit works again. So yes the aftermarket will likely find a bypass if the firewall exists, which I would believe it does/will at this time.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Disclaimer:

I remember reading this previously mentioned (at the end of the summer) I think attributed to the guy who does the ESS disable OBDII dongle. (edit same guy Bilash refers to).
Essentially it both encrypted traffic and also created a tiered authentication process for limited access and full acces (something like: read only, read + limited writes, read + write).

This acces might still be granted to tuners, but they would have to pay for certified access like a developer for Android or Apple, etc. It would provide more security to avoid hacks, but it might also limit 3rd party tunes and ‘undesirable’ tunes that mess with EPA factors, etc.

(or as Bilash mentions, ifmthey find a vulnerability then they can bypass it like Jailbreaking or Rooting a phone, etc)

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
This may also be a result of the hacks published in the last few years where researchers where able to remotely attack the uconnect radio via it's cell connection and from there where able to gain full remote access to the car. This included steering and driving their test vehicle remotely. Having a firewall would help to stop this type of attack.
Sponsored