Unfortunately in the market for a new JLUR

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If my use for a jeep was just street and light off pavement, I'd probably get some kind of small SUV for the quality, handling and creature comforts. But if your heart is set on another jeep, go for it.

Make sure you're happy with the steering and it has no DW before you buy.

If I were to do it again, I'd get all the safety stuff: lane departure, etc. , LED lights, Flat tow pkg, Towing pkg, whatever the latest stuff is. I'm very happy with the 8" screen, 9 speaker entertainment system. Since my current jeep is a Rubicon, it did come with the larger brakes. That's a plus, especially if you add big tires and hundreds of pounds of modification parts. I am on a hunting trip and have been happy I chose a Rubicon, since we have been on some challenging trails this past week.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I’ll clue you in why you’re not following when people say that while you’re still waiting to get a JL.

People say that because we’ve been here a minute or two and have seen the progression of these “packages” and know the difference between actual functionality and not functional.

To your point, brakes/shocks/ and a two-speed T-case (which you didn’t mention) are more functional over regular brakes/shocks and T-case but come at a much higher price tag.

To everyone else’s point, some decals, take off Rubi shocks, take off Rubi rock rails and some better brakes can be done to any Sport/Sport-S at a much lower bottom line price tag.

The Willys only benefit, which has been highly debated here, is the two speed T-case. That’s it. Every other edition features things that can be done for cheaper to any other base Wrangler.

The base model Sport in 6MT comes standard with the anti-slip D44 rear and is an option in the Automatic. No benefit there really.

You can get Rubi rock rails for FREE or sub-$100 from members on here.

The small list goes on.

In summary, people call it appearance packages because that’s basically what they are.

Take the black & tan edition. Black Wrangler with a tan soft top and tan seats. Hell, someone did that on here by mistake when ordering like a year before it was even a special edition. His wife hated it when it came in by surprise and he was trying to figure out how to get rid of the tan soft top. Now they have a special edition they didn’t even know about lol

They are not anything unique or special if you actually think about it.

To me, I think a special edition should be completely unique, something you can’t option in the builder or grab one/two items online and you’re done.

If you buy one of the special editions there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We are all excepting people here. Just know that someone with a Sport can build the same thing with 1-4 items for about 5-7k less. If that doesn’t bother you then don’t worry about it.
______

For the OP, I’m glad your Son is okay! It’ll be tough to get that totaled out being brand new unless there is damage I cannot see.

I suggest you take it to a body shop that you know and not one recommend by the insurance company.
I understand your frustrations and I am not defending that the “packages” could not be better than they are.

My point to the OP question of comparing the Sports S / Altitude / and Black and Tan, is that there are additional differences to take into account outside of “only cosmetic” as many people state.

I could have saved time in my research had I recognized that earlier on and actually compared the differences outside of the decals and accents.

I am not sure exactly how the $5k - $7k pricing in your comment works out. The final cost difference for me personally was only $75 more for the Altitude compared to the exact same build out of a Sport S. That $75 gets me the heavy duty breaks, improved suspension, and the black cosmetic accents (which I like). That cost is well worth it to me.

However, the $1,725 extra the Willys would then cost me for the LSD, rock rails, all weather mats, rubicon springs, mud tires, and cosmetic accents (which I like less - not a fan of decals), was my cut-off point on value (to me) and cost.

My advice to the OP is just to do what I think you are doing. Don’t simply dismiss a trim or package as only cosmetic, but rather build out your options and compare the final costs to what that actually gets you to make your decision.

Good luck!

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t all wranglers have a two speed transfer case? Are you mixing it up with something else?
I thought I read somewhere that there’s was to be a 4:1 low range but I could be terribly wrong. If that were the case it would be better than the 2.72:1 low range if I’m not mistaken. Yes, all Wranglers have them but I believe the Sport/Sport S and Sahara are on a 2.72:1.. again could be wrong though.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read somewhere that there’s was to be a 4:1 low range but I could be terribly wrong. If that were the case it would be better than the 2.72:1 low range if I’m not mistaken. Yes, all Wranglers have them but I believe the Sport/Sport S and Sahara are on a 2.72:1.. again could be wrong though.
The only wrangler with a 4:1 low range is the Rubicon.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The only wrangler with a 4:1 low range is the Rubicon.
Thank you for that info! I assumed so but must have read an article incorrectly.

So this proves my point even more so LOL

So for the WILLYS, some Rubicon shocks, brakes and rock rails. Pretty not unique. Can be accomplished for cheap.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I am not sure exactly how the $5k - $7k pricing in your comment works out. The final cost difference for me personally was only $75 more for the Altitude compared to the exact same build out of a Sport S. That $75 gets me the heavy duty breaks, improved suspension, and the black cosmetic accents (which I like). That cost is well worth it to me.
Sounds like you got a good deal brutha! I do wish I had that black dash piece those look nice!

MPETE

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler Sport, 2013 F150 PLatinum 6.2
I'm glad no one was injured seriously.
I'm willing to put money on it NOT TOTALING. They are just simply worth too much. The cost of a frame is actually not as much as one might think. a 4dr JLu frame is under $2k. And the work involved with swapping it over is around a day or so in a quality shop. With brand new JLU Sports having an MSRP in the low-mid 40's, it will take A LOT more damage than just some front sheetmetal, some mechanical parts and a frame to total it. Unfortunately, if you were at fault then the vehicle will have significant diminished value and trading it in will be pretty difficult, because it will likely leave you significantly upside down on trade in value. If the other driver was at fault, then once you have the repaired vehicle estimated fro Trade-in value, you can then approach the other driver's insurance company for a diminished value claim.

Good luck with your jeep whichever way it goes.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Everyone loves to say this about every package they release, but I do not follow.

Yes, each purposely sets out to look a bit different with cosmetic changes.

But each of them change the breaks, suspensions, and the rear differential (on the Willys). On top of that, each add different included option packages such as LED lights, hard tops with liners or premium soft tan tops, rock rails, and technology packages. All at a slight discount compared to if you add them to a standard Sport.

All of that seems fairly functional in my eyes.

I say this not to argue but to point it out. It was very confusing when I first started researching the packages because so many people said “it’s just cosmetic”. Then when I dig deeper I found many other differences not so easily highlighted.
He didn’t ask about the Willys. He asked about the black and tan, and the altitude packages. The Sport S has optional LED lighting from the factory on all packages. The Altitude does include heavy duty brakes. That’s it. Everything else can be either optioned on to a Sport S, or is an appearance only piece. The price depends on which options are chosen, some combinations result in the sport S being more, some less.

Sponsored

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
He didn’t ask about the Willys. He asked about the black and tan, and the altitude packages. The Sport S has optional LED lighting from the factory on all packages. The Altitude does include heavy duty brakes. That’s it. Everything else can be either optioned on to a Sport S, or is an appearance only piece. The price depends on which options are chosen, some combinations result in the sport S being more, some less.
Yep, agreed. That was kind of my point, just to not dismiss the Altitude and Black and Tan. If the package includes options you want, you have to price it all out compared to a base sport, and see what makes sense cost wise.

OP
OP

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
Update: other person insurance has accepted full liability, and Jeep is being towed to their “total loss yard”. The wreck was caused by “failure to yield” at a two way stop crossing a 45 MPH speed limit street, with the Jeep traveling slightly faster than that (>5mph). From just a visual inspection, here are the damaged components:

both quarter panels
Both fenders
Hood
Crawl
Windshield
Radiator is not at correct angle
Broken front axel
Front bumper
Airbags deployed
Framed bent
Wheel wells gone

They could not inspect the engine bay yet, as hood will not open.

Their insurance has already asked for my payout information. Should have verification this week.

Also wanted to give @GoRhino a big THANKS for their awesome Bumper. I truly believe my boys would have been injured with the factory bumper. Sure, I don’t have specific data to back up this claim, but that is my belief.
Sponsored

Last edited: