Underseat and regular powered subs

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Hey all, I’ve started looking into powered subs and have kinda set on a few options and looking for “real world” experience.

Right now I’m looking at the Rockford PS-8, Kicker HS8 and the Rockford P300-8.

I’m curious what the opinions are on each. I like my music loud, typically listening to metal (sometimes bass heavy), with occasional dips into EDM, 90’s rap and pop.

How do these options produce the lows, can they handle loud and fast music? Are the subs loud enough to hear with the top off?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Got news for you... when they said the Wrangler for rock crawling they didn't mean the music :CWL:

You need to go to some audio forum to get enough opinions on such things.

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Got news for you... when they said the Wrangler for rock crawling they didn't mean the music :CWL:

You need to go to some audio forum to get enough opinions on such things.
Thanks for the helpful reply. Might as well have the mods delete all the other audio questions as well.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I can tell you that I have a 10” subwoofer under each front seat powered by a 1500w amp and I can hear and feel it with no top and no doors but the bass begins to disappear when you get up to speed on the interstate. I would be skeptical if a 100w or 200w sub will give you much once the doors come off. If you never take to doors off, you should be fine.

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I can tell you that I have a 10” subwoofer under each front seat powered by a 1500w amp and I can hear and feel it with no top and no doors but the bass begins to disappear when you get up to speed on the interstate. I would be skeptical if a 100w or 200w sub will give you much once the doors come off. If you never take to doors off, you should be fine.
I opted for a Rockford Fosgate P300-8P. Hopefully it will serve its purpose and provide a bit more bottom-end and shake the mirrors just a touch. We’ll see....

My only quandary now is deciding where to mount it. I’m kinda dreading taking up more space in the back, and it won’t fit under a seat.

Sponsored

sknyfats

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Willys 2 Door
I opted for a Rockford Fosgate P300-8P. Hopefully it will serve its purpose and provide a bit more bottom-end and shake the mirrors just a touch. We’ll see....

My only quandary now is deciding where to mount it. I’m kinda dreading taking up more space in the back, and it won’t fit under a seat.
You ever get around to installing the sub? I’m trying to decide on a sub - don’t need much especially since I have a 2 door. Curious how yours is with top up and down as well as where you mounted it. I’m just looking for a little “punch”...

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I have a powered sub under passenger seat and it’s good for those genres however with windows down or top off on hwy you do lose it a little but that expected

OP
OP
Surfwagon

Surfwagon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
You ever get around to installing the sub? I’m trying to decide on a sub - don’t need much especially since I have a 2 door. Curious how yours is with top up and down as well as where you mounted it. I’m just looking for a little “punch”...
I did end up going with the Rockford. Top on, it has some pretty decent punch...not going to be heard around the block, but has great sound and bass “fill.”

Top off, as expected, I lose a bit, however it still sounds good on surface streets, and you still get some decent sound at speed.

Size wise it’s perfect. I have it “mounted” with Velcro off the side of the “trunk panel” so I can still have access to that.

if I were to do it again, given the fact thatI like my music very loud, I would go for a 10”. But considering overall sound, budget, mounting size, and ease of install, this is perfect.
Sponsored