Sponsored

UConnect4 and Android Auto mapping over Bluetooth

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I was looking at the User's Guide for UConnect4 (7-inch) and noticed that it said after you connect your phone via USB cable and install Android Auto for the first time, you can then connect using only Bluetooth. Can anyone verify that you can do Google mapping with Android Auto using the Bluetooth only connection? Attached is the page with text highlighted.
Sponsored

Attachments

MisFiTkEv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport S 2.0l Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at the User's Guide for UConnect4 (7-inch) and noticed that it said after you connect your phone via USB cable and install Android Auto for the first time, you can then connect using only Bluetooth. Can anyone verify that you can do Google mapping with Android Auto using the Bluetooth only connection? Attached is the page with text highlighted.
good catch... Havent seen this happen for me yet. Anyone else successful?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CNY-JLUS

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
OK, so there's words and numbers in there. Do any of them combine to say "yes" or "no?" Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any confirmation from in the wild.

I'd really like to not have to be plugged in to navigate. I navigate everywhere (even shorter familiar routes like to work) because I like how google mapping adds traffic and alternate routes.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so there's words and numbers in there. Do any of them combine to say "yes" or "no?" Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any confirmation from in the wild.

I'd really like to not have to be plugged in to navigate. I navigate everywhere (even shorter familiar routes like to work) because I like how google mapping adds traffic and alternate routes.
I was commenting with respect to the bandwidth of Bluetooth. Whether UConnect actually allows it is an entirely different question. My feel for it though is that *if* is is allowed, it would be a bit slow. Whether that speed is acceptable is going to be dependent upon a particular user's expectations. I have a JL Sport, so it has UConnect 3 and from what I've gathered, the Android Auto is either not part of that or it is not enabled.

camprats

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubicon
Android Auto is a separate app. Download it to your phone then usb your phone to Uconnect.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Android Auto is a separate app. Download it to your phone then usb your phone to Uconnect.
I have downloaded it and I can play music from my phone, but supposedly you also have Google Maps on UConnect if you have the Uconnect 4 (i.e. 7") screen. I have the 5" (UConnect 3) screen.

grumeazy

First Name
ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jlu sport s
Currently wireless will only work with android 8.0 and higher on pixel and nexus phones. From what i have read it will be native for the rest of us in android 9.0, no release date on that yet for my note 9.

RajCaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited - Sahara Trim
In regard to wireless Android Auto displaying and interfacing through your head unit, my understanding is that it is only available on a select few head unit models (only aftermarket as far as I can tell so far) and it requires WiFi in your vehicle.

That said, I'm not sure that the new UConnect head units in the 2018 Wranglers are compatible for this, since the announcement was made in April of this year, and only indicated that new Kenwood and Pioneer receivers had this capability.

You can use bluetooth to communicate between AA on your phone & your UConnect head unit, where the display and interface with AA is done through your phone, and the audio will play through your Jeep's speakers
Sponsored