Sponsored

Two new spottings today

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Thanks, I guess that is what we'll be getting for the JL. For that price I really wish it would include some better dome/ambient lighting on the inside.
Likely everyone will get the interior lighting upgrades because it's doubtful anyone would pay a significant premium, so reduce the number of disparate parts and just consolidate everyone on those cheap parts. The Headlights and Fogs are definitely a significant cost to FCA and will command a premium, so that's likely why there's a "lighting group" , whereas the ambient & dome are cheap, so give them to everyone. Maybe the colour changing cup holder lighting might be a Shara+ option as a differentiator, but I can't see the rest.
Sponsored

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
Only care if they have heated LEDs. Yea, I know it won't happen.

Sponsored

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
Those look like stock steel wheels which might be standard on base model JL. Current JK steel wheels are 16". Can't tell if these look larger maybe 17"?
I bet they're 16s.
They look like 16" to me too. They should continue to offer a 16" option and even a 15" for the best off-road performance when aired down. 16's obviously give you more sidewall than the 17, they fit perfectly and don't rub the brake calipers (at least on the JK). You are more limited in tire options and beadlocks if you decide to buy those but it's a good compromise between 15 and 17.

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I lift the top off my TJ by myself. And 4 cargo straps dangling in my garage. Then simply drive out from under it.

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
I lift the top off my TJ by myself. And 4 cargo straps dangling in my garage. Then simply drive out from under it.
Right so whether it's a hoist, cargo straps or another person you still need help taking the hard top off completely. This needs fixing and I can't imagine Jeep doesn't have this item at the very top of the list.

So far I'm not seeing any signs of that changing... I really hope we do.

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
My guess that they wanted to make the top easier to remove and deal with, but I'm going to guess a couple things got in the way. They're shooting for improved fuel economy, and a more complex roof system add weight, and even worse, it put the weight up higher, which hurts handling. Speaking of more complex, that drives up the cost to make, and then that raises the consumer price. Lastly, I bet it would be really hard to make it seal tightly against leaks, having multiple roof joints creates plenty of new spots for leaks.

As much as I would love the roof to be easier to remove, I'd rather deal with having it harder to remove and not possibility have any of the above issues.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
They're shooting for improved fuel economy, and a more complex roof system add weight, and even worse, it put the weight up higher, which hurts handling.
It doesn't necessarily add weight if you can alter the composition between component now that it's not a big single uniform heavy piece made of the same bulky material throughout.

Speaking of more complex, that drives up the cost to make, and then that raises the consumer price.
Again, not necessarily, that's an assumption with 'all thing being equal', but a new design doesn't have that constraint. And while complexity usually means added expense, so does relative size of the component. So there is a tradeoff between those two process aspects in the different design approaches. This is easily relatable in LCD production where yield reates for smaller panels is exponentially better than very large panels because the defects can take out a portion, not the whole process.

Making interlocking simple slabs can easily be less expenive than having to form a much more complex uniform roof assembly structure, where at a fixed ratio of defects per square inch or lb of material used, that would mean more defective one-piece roof assemblies than completed roofs from combined individual components. With less waste and greater ability to reclaim viable components, costs should actually go down... again... all things being equal.

Also if a 3rd design roof is involved, then that also plays a role, can they incorporate components from either of the other two productions in this 3rd option reducing it's cost for both production and support / warranty repair. Is it easier to do that with a modular option than the giant single piece which would only share window insert and accesories?

As to the leaking, all convertibles leak, from Bently to Mazda. There is a vocal minotrity in the JK community, but it's not a universal issue. I've had 5 JK(U)s most with both tops, all without any leaks (*knock on wood*) other than one hastily added freedom panel in a sudden downpour that just required a quick pull over to re-seat and fixed, and a bent soft-top part that was noisey (wind leaky not water leaky) until bent back.
Sure many people experience leaking with the JK(U)s and they are vocal on the forums, but all the more reason to not be married to one design and try something that may reduce that number further by adding flexibility in the design to account for production errors, user errors, or long term wear & tear.

Convertibles introduce weakness into the system, we can only hope they do a pretty good job of compensating for those weaknesses by design.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
I agree with Ape, making for more a modular top design is going to make the roof easier to remove and probably cheaper overall (to build/repair) than one big slab. It's also going to lighter to remove individual panels than that massive rear portion, even if the more complex design somehow adds weight. Any increase in weight over the current Freedom top will be minimal and most people will agree that the decrease in "work" needed to remove it will be well worth it.

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Who needs a modular and easier to remove top. Just have to get some muscles!

I kid of course :)