First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
they did mention it could be the wastegate just because of where the sound is coming from but they said everything looked fine and was functioning as it should
But it's not loose or anything, it just rattles on its own? Over the phone, my service adviser told me that everything was running as it should be, too. Hopefully when I go in, they can clarify the issue and I'll follow-up on here. I'll ask if it's the waste gate or something else causing the rattle. I just don't want it to be an issue that will cause more serious problems to the Jeep in the future when I no longer have a warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
But it's not loose or anything, it just rattles on its own? Over the phone, my service adviser told me that everything was running as it should be, too. Hopefully when I go in, they can clarify the issue and I'll follow-up on here. I'll ask if it's the waste gate or something else causing the rattle. I just don't want it to be an issue that will cause more serious problems to the Jeep in the future when I no longer have a warranty.
I don’t know, I wasn’t around for them to show me, that’s just the answer they gave me sadly. And it only rattles between 1200 and 1500 rpm when I am completely off the gas.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I don’t know, I wasn’t around for them to show me, that’s just the answer they gave me sadly. And it only rattles between 1200 and 1500 rpm when I am completely off the gas.
This is the response I got from the service department. The service advisor told me that it’s just normal turbo noise apparently. He told me to bring it back in if other noises started or if any lights come on.

95644780-F9F5-4D13-9D28-77D15F841DCA.jpeg

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2-door bought in October, I don't hear anything unusual.

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
This is the response I got from the service department. The service advisor told me that it’s just normal turbo noise apparently. He told me to bring it back in if other noises started or if any lights come on.

95644780-F9F5-4D13-9D28-77D15F841DCA.jpeg
So it’s just a really annoying turbo noise, great.

Sponsored

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I have a 2-door bought in October, I don't hear anything unusual.
Yes, that's why I'm having a hard time believing that it's normal. Most turbos don't just rattle for no reason... we've owned several vehicles with turbos and to my knowledge, none of them rattled. I just hope this isn't an issue that is going to become an expensive problem later.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
So it’s just a really annoying turbo noise, great.
Apparently so, but based on the comment from @FUHL, it's obviously not happening to all of them. That's why I'm having a hard time believing that it's a normal noise. I just don't want a small issue to become an expensive problem later that we'll have to pay for.

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I have a 2-door and haven't heard any noise coming from the turbo. I'll listen for it today using the parameters you provided.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I have a 2-door and haven't heard any noise coming from the turbo. I'll listen for it today using the parameters you provided.
Let us know if you notice anything. It's not as noticeable to me when the top, doors, and radio are on... kind of just a faint clicking/rattling noise... it's much more noticeable when I take the doors off (even with the radio on).

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know if you notice anything. It's not as noticeable to me when the top, doors, and radio are on... kind of just a faint clicking/rattling noise... it's much more noticeable when I take the doors off (even with the radio on).

I bet that is the Direct Injection injectors. They are noisy, almost sounds like a diesel.

Sponsored

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I bet that is the Direct Injection injectors. They are noisy, almost sounds like a diesel.
And the rattling is normal (with no vehicle damage)? I guess that would make sense based on that the service department told me it was normal.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And the rattling is normal (with no vehicle damage)? I guess that would make sense based on that the service department told me it was normal.
If it is indeed the injectors, perfectly normal.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
If it is indeed the injectors, perfectly normal.
Okay, thanks for the info. For now, all I can really do is watch it since I already took it to the dealership and they said it was a normal characteristic. Luckily I have a lifetime powertrain warranty along with the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Hoping other people update with their finds on here as well.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I have heard it on occasion and have heard the same sound on a previously owned BMW 5-Series. It’s not constant nor repeatable with any consistency. Does sound like a Diesel engine at times. With my BMW I was told it was normal so I have just brushed it off with the JL. Not concerned at this point. The 2.0 runs great. If it breaks, that’s what the warranty is for.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, thanks for the info. For now, all I can really do is watch it since I already took it to the dealership and they said it was a normal characteristic. Luckily I have a lifetime powertrain warranty along with the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Hoping other people update with their finds on here as well.
Just FYI I have the exact noise at low rpm. I assumed it was normal but now reading this thread I'm curious why not all the 2.0 owners replying to this thread hear it the same.

If it's the wastegate as someone suggested, I would think that means a defect. Does our 2.0's have a defect...now I'm concerned.
Sponsored