Turbo rattle?

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
So I’m wondering if anyone else is having this issue since the mechanics can’t “replicate” the sound even though it happens every time I drive. I have the 2.0L turbo and when I let off the gas completely at any rpm I will hear a delayed rattle coming from driver side towards my feet. It lasts for a second or 2 then stops. I’m wondering it it is part of the turbo winding down but it shouldn’t make that noise. Any ideas?
Sponsored

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have not noticed this in mine I will pay my attention.
It happens when it’s when the engine is winding down at 1200-1400 rpm. It almost sounds as if someone put a baseball card in the spikes of a bike tire when it hits that rpm range

81ster

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe ask for dealer personal to go for a ride, so you can replicate for them.. This will probably be the easiest way to speed things along.

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Yeah I’m going to have to go back and make them ride with me. When I first brought it in they took it out and said they couldn’t replicate it which is BS because it happens everyday everytime.

Sponsored

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It happens when it’s when the engine is winding down at 1200-1400 rpm. It almost sounds
as if someone put a baseball card in the spikes of a bike tire when it hits that rpm range
Does it sound like a subwoofer in the distance?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have no odds sounds with mine. Hopefully your noise is something simple. Maybe it's a loose heat shield of something?

blue_meany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Wastegate rattle? Common on turbo vehicles. Annoying, but not an issue per say.

Could be something else, but if it’s during deceleration and as revs are winding down I’d bet on that.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Mine does this as well. I took it in to the dealership today for service, and asked them to look at the rattle noise while it’s there. The service advisor just called and told me that it was related to the turbo, that there was nothing else that they could do at this time, and that it’s completely normal. When I go in today to pick it up, I’m going to see if they can give me more information and will update.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Mine does this as well. I took it in to the dealership today for service, and asked them to look at the rattle noise while it’s there. The service advisor just called and told me that it was related to the turbo, that there was nothing else that they could do at this time, and that it’s completely normal. When I go in today to pick it up, I’m going to see if they can give me more information and will update.
That’s pretty much the same answer I got along with “it’s a very new engine so we don’t have the most experience with it so we are figuring stuff out as we go”. They said it’s definitely coming from right behind or next to the engine just based on where the sound is most heard (driver side).

They had the same “we are learning as we go” comment when they were fixing my heater core and said that mine was a guinea pig for them because it’s the first Jeep turbo 2.0l they ever saw or worked on

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I also noticed we both have the 2 door blue turbo, I doubt it but maybe there is a trend if more people respond to this thread

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
That’s pretty much the same answer I got along with “it’s a very new engine so we don’t have the most experience with it so we are figuring stuff out as we go”. They said it’s definitely coming from right behind or next to the engine just based on where the sound is most heard (driver side).

They had the same “we are learning as we go” comment when they were fixing my heater core and said that mine was a guinea pig for them because it’s the first Jeep turbo 2.0l they ever saw or worked on
I just wish that the service departments had more of an idea as to what the issue is. Maybe we need to make @JeepCares aware of the issue. The rattle on my Jeep is definitely coming from somewhere on the driver's side in the engine bay because my husband can't really hear it on the passenger side (and I can easily hear it on the driver side, especially with the doors off), and it only typically happens when I let off the gas, especially at slower speeds. It sounds like we have the same issue. I also seem to notice it more often recently than when I first got it. I bought mine in October 2018, and it has been rattling for several months but has recently gotten more often (I think) which is what sparked my concern, since the manual said that some noises are fine. I also have been using 93 octane, since 91 is recommended.

I understand that it's a new engine, but it's still very frustrating for all of Jeep's customers. I have to admit, my dealership is pretty good at customer service and troubleshooting though, so there really may not be anything they can do at this point. Again, I'm hoping to get clarification today when I go in to pick it up.

I also had noticed that we have the same Jeep. Do you know when/where your's was made? It could be an issue with just a certain number of them made at the same time. I, too, hope more Jeepers with the 2.0L respond to this thread. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it, and I'm glad I stumbled onto your post!

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Yeah I’m going to have to go back and make them ride with me. When I first brought it in they took it out and said they couldn’t replicate it which is BS because it happens everyday everytime.
they did mention it could be the wastegate just because of where the sound is coming from but they said everything looked fine and was functioning as it should
Sponsored