Sponsored

Trans Issue & Clunking Sound (Engaged 4H)

daperp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL (4dr)
Preface -- 2018 JL 4Dr Manual Transmission

Was down last week in OBX (North Carolina), on the 4x4 beach... put the vehicle into 4H moving below 20mph with no issues, got to my location without issue.

Following days, any turning while in 4H, I got a clunking sound like the 4 wheel drive is not engaged, yet it states it is on the display and confirmed placement on shifter.

Additionally, I was unable to get from 4H to 4L at all... weird, tried while moving and/or stopped.

Anyone else having these issues or similar?

TYIA for your time and cooperation.
Sponsored

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Not sure about the clunking. I had a hard time getting mine into N or 4L unless I went into neutral on my trans (automatic). With my JKR sometimes I would have to rock it back and forth slightly to get the transfer case to slip into N then into 4L. If there is any force on the gears it will not go, that's why I had to go to N on my trans, there was just enough bind to keep it from going. I know they say that you should be rolling about 1 mph to switch but that is not going to happen if you are giving it gas at that time, get it moving then let off the gas while giving it a bit of pressure on the stick and see if that helps.