JLUR Manual Transmission Problems

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
About 3 weeks ago I got a JLUR with the 6 speed manual transmission and I am having a lot of issues driving it. I have had a YJ and a TJ that was manual and an auto JKUR. First dislike is that you can’t get more the 10 feet before you have to shift. But the real issue is that shifting from first to second always feels really difficult almost like something is catching. I’ll admit it been 20 years since I have had a manual Jeep and no suck at driving it but I don’t remover having any of these issues with past Jeeps. Any ideas

*Update* 4/20 I had my appointment at the dealer yesterday told them the issue the said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. They put 23 miles on it. Still have the same issue. Like some have mentioned shifting lower does help but you get 5 feet then go have to shift to 2nd. Been having weird no sides with the clutch when starting twice when letting the clutch out after engine start made horrible noise like something blew. Also a high pitched almost high voltage transform buzz sound from engine a couple times stopped when I pressed the clutch in. Also feels like clutch is getting easiest to depress almost 40% from when I got it. My understanding hydraulic clutch’s should not break in.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jdclampett

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU Sport "S"
Occupation
Garage door installer
I have a 6 speed sport and first to second is a little rough, but not as rough as it was in my 15 jku

OP
OP

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
I am going to take it to the dealer but I am sure that’s not going to amount to anything.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That first gear is really a granny. I like it, because it is great off-road and great for towing. Everybody's preferences are different, though. Mine is smooth as any manual I've ever felt, going from first to 2nd, so I'd definitely get it checked out. I'm not sure where you are located, but it would be nice to compare with another JL, so that you can feel if something isn't right, or if it might be normal.

VinnyV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 6 speed
That first shift comes very soon. No prob between any gears on mine. I feel the whole consortium has gotten noticeably smoother over time (1700 miles), not just because of the brain synapses catching on!

Sponsored

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
That first gear is really a granny. I like it, because it is great off-road and great for towing. Everybody's preferences are different, though. Mine is smooth as any manual I've ever felt, going from first to 2nd, so I'd definitely get it checked out. I'm not sure where you are located, but it would be nice to compare with another JL, so that you can feel if something isn't right, or if it might be normal.
Is it possible to start out in second on the flat, or is it to high ?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is it possible to start out in second on the flat, or is it to high ?
I'd say you could do it but I think it is just slightly high for that. Remember, this thing is a truck, and while that short first gear might take getting used to, off-road it is perfect. I think it will be fantastic for pulling a boat up a ramp, too. Put some bigger tires on and that will make the gearing a little taller. (Not much, but a little.) I drive mine back to back with my JK with 33's. Both have 4.10 axle ratios. The gearing is much better on the JL, IMO. (I still enjoy driving the JK, though, too.)

OP
OP

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Starting from a dead stop in second you really have to rev the engine every time I tried it stalled out.

OP
OP

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR

Mine was the first manual the dealership had I think another one is coming in that I can try. I only have 800 miles so maybe it will break in not sure.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Coldest the Jeep has been in since I have had it is about 30 degrees. Even the first shift of the morning is smooth.

How cold is it where you are?

I talked to a guy that drove a brand new tacoma couple hundred miles through very cold weather..negative degrees..and his clutch was toast. Toyota didn’t know how or why but something was obviously frozen.

Hipcam52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Supervisor
1st gear is definitely a gas guzzler on the street, and 2nd can't come soon enough. but I'm sure it was made purposely with the trail in mind

OP
OP

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Coldest the Jeep has been in since I have had it is about 30 degrees. Even the first shift of the morning is smooth.

How cold is it where you are?

I talked to a guy that drove a brand new tacoma couple hundred miles through very cold weather..negative degrees..and his clutch was toast. Toyota didn’t know how or why but something was obviously frozen.

It’s been between 30 and 40 since I got it. I took it too a parking lot last night just to play with it when I am not driving to work and I must have done 30 stops and starts every time I went into second I felt some resistance but if I was in second took it to out and put it back into second smooth as butter but always something from 1 to 2 and I fell it a little on 4th too
Sponsored