JLUR Manual Transmission Problems

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I got a JLU Rubicon MT. The clutch and transmission are flawless. Not that different from my FJ CRUISER. I have had it for a week. Put little over a 1000 miles on it. I have shifted from first to second at all ranges of RPM. As soon as it hit 1000 miles, I did a hard start taking the Rpm to the red line in first, second and third. Smooth fast shifting. Normally in the city I shift from first to second below 2000 rpm. No issues. Unfortunately I am in Illinois, but you would be welcomed to take it for a spin. I hope you get your issue resolved.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
I got a JLU Rubicon MT. The clutch and transmission are flawless. Not that different from my FJ CRUISER. I have had it for a week. Put little over a 1000 miles on it. I have shifted from first to second at all ranges of RPM. As soon as it hit 1000 miles, I did a hard start taking the Rpm to the red line in first, second and third. Smooth fast shifting. Normally in the city I shift from first to second below 2000 rpm. No issues. Unfortunately I am in Illinois, but you would be welcomed to take it for a spin. I hope you get your issue resolved.
What’s funny the dealer ordered me the wrong color but I didn’t catch it until about a month after placing it the then ordered a second with the correct color but when I saw the first one I bought it I didn’t really want black. About a month later the black one came in I wanted to test drive that one to see if it had the same problem. The day it got there it was sold I couldn’t even get in to just test the movement without the engine started because 2nd catches on the right side of the gear a little no one new where the keys where and the dealership never buys a manual unless it’s a special order.

GenA

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
About 3 weeks ago I got a JLUR with the 6 speed manual transmission and I am having a lot of issues driving it. I have had a YJ and a TJ that was manual and an auto JKUR. First dislike is that you can’t get more the 10 feet before you have to shift. But the real issue is that shifting from first to second always feels really difficult almost like something is catching. I’ll admit it been 20 years since I have had a manual Jeep and no suck at driving it but I don’t remover having any of these issues with past Jeeps. Any ideas

*Update* 4/20 I had my appointment at the dealer yesterday told them the issue the said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it. They put 23 miles on it. Still have the same issue. Like some have mentioned shifting lower does help but you get 5 feet then go have to shift to 2nd. Been having weird no sides with the clutch when starting twice when letting the clutch out after engine start made horrible noise like something blew. Also a high pitched almost high voltage transform buzz sound from engine a couple times stopped when I pressed the clutch in. Also feels like clutch is getting easiest to depress almost 40% from when I got it. My understanding hydraulic clutch’s should not break in.
Yesterday the transmission failed on my JLU. Totally locked up. Have not even taken it off road yet. Dealer told me it needs to be totally replaced. I bought my JL in May.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Yesterday the transmission failed on my JLU. Totally locked up. Have not even taken it off road yet. Dealer told me it needs to be totally replaced. I bought my JL in May.
That’s very unfortunate. I’m assuming it is a manual, what do you mean locked up? Stayed stuck on certain gear? Couldn’t move the stick? I have never experienced such a thing.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
That’s very unfortunate. I’m assuming it is a manual, what do you mean locked up? Stayed stuck on certain gear? Couldn’t move the stick? I have never experienced such a thing.
He posted the same reply in an auto transmission thread as well. Either he’s trolling, speaks poor English and/ or probably has an auto and didn’t read the thread title completely lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
He posted the same reply in an auto transmission thread as well. Either he’s trolling, speaks poor English and/ or probably has an auto and didn’t read the thread title completely lol
There has been a troll running around. This is only post number 2 for this guy. I'm wondering if it is the same guy with multiple accounts.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a new JLU, w/a 6 spd. manual, back in November. I now have close to 5K on it.

Shifting into any of the gears, hasn't been an issue for me. They all shift just fine.

The only issue I do have though, and I don't like it, is all the play which is in 1st gear. It's very noticeable in stop and go traffic, or taking off from stop, where you feel, and hear, when you give it some gas, and let off, in what appears to be a lot of play in 1st gear. Once again, this is only in 1st gear, while w/the rest of the gears, they are all just fine.

Talking w/my local Jeep dealer's service department about it, I'm told that this is normal w/this transmission. Is it?

Is it due to the lower 1st gear in the JL's 6 spd. manual transmissions?

I've always own manual transmissions on all my past vehicles, including Jeeps, but have never noticed this in 1st gear.

Thanks.

OP
OP

Cameljoe121

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
An update to my original posts so after having my JL at the dealer i purchased it from for 3 weeks I gave up for a while with the issues still occurring. after trying to deal with it I took it to another dealer and found out a few things. First in the parking lot the pulled the slave cylinder and something that was supposed greased was not at the factory the applied grease and the transmission issue was better for two weeks then reverted to its shifting like crap again. A few weeks later they dropped the transmission and again they found something not greased the greased it and the horrible creaking sound that came from the engine while operating the clutch stopped. But I am still having issues with the clutch pedal depending on its mood its either hard as a rock to engage to clutch or it is so light with a little bit of pressure it goes right to the floor or on some rare occasions it drives like a dream and the shifting smooth as butter. I have an appointment on the 23rd to have it looked at again and and I reopened a case with FCA so far FCA has not be to helpful when I was dealing with all this crap originally when the dealer I bought it off wanted nothing more to do with it service wise FCA said they cant force the dealer to do anything they can only make recommendations to the dealer. besides the clutch and transmission issues a few times the radio interface locks up besides that it a great Jeep. Hopefully I can get this fixed or my 6th Chrysler now FCA product will be my last for the dam price of these things you would think FCA would be going out of their way to fix issues but we shall see. I'll update this after my appointment.

Sponsored

Hipcam52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Supervisor
I just got a new JLU, w/a 6 spd. manual, back in November. I now have close to 5K on it.

Shifting into any of the gears, hasn't been an issue for me. They all shift just fine.

The only issue I do have though, and I don't like it, is all the play which is in 1st gear. It's very noticeable in stop and go traffic, or taking off from stop, where you feel, and hear, when you give it some gas, and let off, in what appears to be a lot of play in 1st gear. Once again, this is only in 1st gear, while w/the rest of the gears, they are all just fine.

Talking w/my local Jeep dealer's service department about it, I'm told that this is normal w/this transmission. Is it?

I've always own manual transmissions on all my past vehicles, including Jeeps, but have never noticed this in 1st gear.

Thanks.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLUR Manual Transmission Problems {filename}
I made up quick video to show that there was no play in my transmission I have 11441 miles in about 9 months

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

Thanks.
No play in my first gear

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Listening to the video, when you're shifting from 1st gear into 2nd, I hear a click noise, as you release the throttle, then hit it again, just before shifting into 2nd.

Once again, the issue that I'm having is, when I'm in say stop and go traffic, driving very slowly in 1st gear, hitting and releasing the throttle back and forth, in order to keep the vehicle moving, I'm hearing a clicking noise, indicating some play or something.

I guess it's hard to explain w/o being in, or driving the vehicle.

UPDATE: Thanks to AlamedaJeep's discussion link below, they describe my issue exactly. The proper word that I should of used is bucking.

Last edited: