Sponsored

JL Manual Transmission (Scraping)

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Unlimited Sport S (Sold); 2019 JLUR
So, with 140 miles on my new JL Manual Rubicon, there is an issue that just wont seem to go away.

If I am aggressively shifting, there is a scraping of metal sound between 2nd and 3rd. If I baby it, then it wont make the noise. Really, the only way it wont make the noise is if I gently let off the clutch into 3rd without giving it any gas to match the RPMs (and then there is that clink when you don't match the RPMs properly).

Am I the only one with this issue? Do all Jeeps do this? Should I take it in to service?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just trying to understand your situation.

Is it a grinding noise?
Its definitely a metal on metal sound. Doesn't quite sound as violent (nor feel as violent) as a grind. It is scraping of metal...kind of like if you ripped aluminum foil in one smooth motion.

I decided Im going to take it in to the service department and have them look at it. Wouldn't hurt anything.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Its definitely a metal on metal sound. Doesn't quite sound as violent (nor feel as violent) as a grind. It is scraping of metal...kind of like if you ripped aluminum foil in one smooth motion.

I decided Im going to take it in to the service department and have them look at it. Wouldn't hurt anything.
That’s definitely the ultimate thing you should do with any new vehicle under warranty that you’re having internal issues with esp if you’re not mechanically inclined.

It could be several things, throwout bearing, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and so on. I too have a manual transmission and I haven’t had this issue and I haven’t researched this transmission as much as I should have by now..

Is this the first manual transmission you’ve owned/driven?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I think my main question (and I’m not trying to be rude) would be why are you dumping the clutch and shifting so hard to begin with? Also, do you ‘ride the clutch’ while driving? Some people do this and it’s really not a good habit..

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I too used to notice a little resistance going from 2nd to 3rd, especially when I first bought my JLUR back in July. Now 4,500 miles later the resistance isn't as bad - almost gone but I sometimes baby into third gear still. I didn't give it much thought but am curious if others like yourself have noticed this as well.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I haven’t noticed any issues at all with mine yet @ 1700 on the ODO KNOCK ON WOOD! So, that tells me that you BOTH really should take it in. If it was happening to everyone I’d say forget it but it’s not.. Please report back with what the dealership says so that if other experience this we know what the issue is..

OP
OP

Tex117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s definitely the ultimate thing you should do with any new vehicle under warranty that you’re having internal issues with esp if you’re not mechanically inclined.

It could be several things, throwout bearing, clutch, flywheel, pilot bearing and so on. I too have a manual transmission and I haven’t had this issue and I haven’t researched this transmission as much as I should have by now..

Is this the first manual transmission you’ve owned/driven?
No, its not my first manual. My first was a 2014 JK. Didn't have any problems.

I think my main question (and I’m not trying to be rude) would be why are you dumping the clutch and shifting so hard to begin with? Also, do you ‘ride the clutch’ while driving? Some people do this and it’s really not a good habit..
You aren't being rude at all! I am trying to figure out if this indeed user error.

No, I don't ride the clutch. Im just trying to get a smooth shift from 2nd to 3rd while fast so I can pass cars etc. (Regardless, should a scrape sound even happen if I was driving as hard as I could?). It really only happens when Im trying to get up to speed quickly and I am hitting both the gas and letting off the clutch at the same time for a smooth shift (perhaps Im on the clutch too long and its "Riding"...Im really not on it that long).

Im taking it to the dealership now. Will report back in. Again, its not a huge issue, I just dont think its right.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No, its not my first manual. My first was a 2014 JK. Didn't have any problems.

I was trying to think of every angle possible but that answer solves what I was thinking.

You aren't being rude at all! I am trying to figure out if this indeed user error.

No, I don't ride the clutch. Im just trying to get a smooth shift from 2nd to 3rd while fast so I can pass cars etc. (Regardless, should a scrape sound even happen if I was driving as hard as I could?). It really only happens when Im trying to get up to speed quickly and I am hitting both the gas and letting off the clutch at the same time for a smooth shift (perhaps Im on the clutch too long and its "Riding"...Im really not on it that long).

No it shouldn’t regardless you’re absolutely right, right there. Even if you didn’t know how to drive a stick, on a new vehicle it should be able to withstand quite a bit of abuse. I do the same thing in traffic when attempting to pass because this thing is pretty much a brick on wheels LOL

Im taking it to the dealership now. Will report back in. Again, its not a huge issue, I just dont think its right.

Like I said before this is your best bet and again please let us know what it is! I have a stick too and if mine starts doing that at least I’ll know what it is!

Sorry I couldn’t be any help!

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Might want to break it in first before you break it. 140 miles vs. 7,500 miles is a long way to go.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
9k miles on mine. Smooth as butter. I don’t think I “aggressively shift,” though. I’m not sure what you mean by that? The throws are so short and precise, you needn’t jam it into any gear.

I think a video would help us. Can you get a passenger to film while you drive?

Reactions: TMP

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If this is your first HYDRAULIC CLUTCH USE--you will, have to got thru a LEARNING PROCESS --

That will consist of LEFT FOOT CLUTCH TIMING with RIGHT HAND SHIFT OPS-

They are a lot different than the older MECHANICAL DIAPHRAM CLUTCH operation and pedal depression--

If you don't learn the ops for consistent(noiseless shifting), there's always gonna be grinding noises and RESISTANCE in the tranny-

Practice/practice/practice--

It's something NEW you have to learn-

Good luck

JIMBO

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@Tex117 I noticed in the ‘Clutch Gang’ thread that there are some folks with similar issue to yours that have already taken theirs in.. you should ready through the last few pages as one guy had to get his entire transmission replaced.. Hopefully not your case but either way it’s all on Jeeps dime I suppose..