Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
IMG_3892 2 Large.jpeg
IMG_3893 Large.jpeg

JEEP TRAILER-2.jpg
JEEP TRAILER-3 Large.jpeg

I still need to paint and mount the RTT and awning on the trailer. It has solar, camp kitchen with DC Fridge, running hot water, 20 gal water and gas, and a hot shower. I don't do hardcore rock climbing but getting off grid can get a little technical so you have to plan on rolling the trailer. You need to be able to winch it back on the wheels and continue on.
What rack is that, if you don't mind me asking? Still trying to finalize the roof setup on my squardrop.
Sponsored

dabble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
batmobile
Back in '17 I saw a really nice home-build towed by a JK in Ouray, CO. The guy, from Canada, started with an M-101 trailer. He everything available right there. The top was roof-top tent that was about 7 feet off the ground when all was raised into camping position.

Edit: Just found the pictures I took.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer - Where to Start IMG_20170702_121638376_HDR

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer - Where to Start IMG_20170702_121651704_HDR

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Travel Trailers and RV’s are great, but they’re NOT cheap. If you a talented lad you might find an older unit and redo it to meet your needs. New units, even cheap new units are pricey. If you want a 4 season rig (hunting in cold weather) they’re even harder to find AND pricey. An older TT Thats structurally sound could be fitting with the insulation etc you’d want for cold weather. Good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Anything out there that is similar to a patriot campers x1n at a lower price point?

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Anything out there that is similar to a patriot campers x1n at a lower price point?
The price of Patriot and Turtleback trailers is why I decided to try and build one myself. The price and availability of parts and the amount of time it’s taken make it challenging to do it significantly less expensive.

I really enjoy building it, it has all the features I want, it’s a very capable trailer and it’s very rugged - but it’s not cheap.

I’ve been on the trail with someone who had a Chinese knockoff of a turtle back, it was kinda nice but he was on his first trip out and his water pump failed, there was some stuff on the trailer that was loose or didn’t fit well but overall it had a nice appearance….

it’s totally possible that when he returned home he repaired all the issues and it turns out to be a great $15-$20k trailer. It really depends on how you plan to use it. Turtleback trailers are meant for serious boondockers who might be solo off grid where, at the least, component failure cuts your trip short or could result in serious injury or a loss of an unrecoverable trailer.

I think there are some pretty capable Overland trailers available for $20-$25k.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The price of Patriot and Turtleback trailers is why I decided to try and build one myself. The price and availability of parts and the amount of time it’s taken make it challenging to do it significantly less expensive.

I really enjoy building it, it has all the features I want, it’s a very capable trailer and it’s very rugged - but it’s not cheap.

I’ve been on the trail with someone who had a Chinese knockoff of a turtle back, it was kinda nice but he was on his first trip out and his water pump failed, there was some stuff on the trailer that was loose or didn’t fit well but overall it had a nice appearance….

it’s totally possible that when he returned home he repaired all the issues and it turns out to be a great $15-$20k trailer. It really depends on how you plan to use it. Turtleback trailers are meant for serious boondockers who might be solo off grid where, at the least, component failure cuts your trip short or could result in serious injury or a loss of an unrecoverable trailer.

I think there are some pretty capable Overland trailers available for $20-$25k.
Thank you. What would you suggest in the 20-25k range?

Kyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Ram W250
I looked at one of these on a lot today. It seemed nice and well built and I'm thinking about picking one up as it's almost exactly what I'm looking for. Anyone heard of these or used one?

http://encore-rv.com/rog12bh/

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I'd check out Sherpa trailers. Made in Libby Montana. Contact them with your needs and see what they can come up with.

Cntr78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Anyone towing one of these? I’m interested.

We pull an Intech Flyer Explore with our '21 JLU Sport.
They are a little tongue heavy so you have to watch how you pack, but with airbags in the back and a regear to 4.56 we're good to go.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer - Where to Start PXL_20230410_134115085~2
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer - Where to Start IMG_20210808_083357
Sponsored