Best way to tie down JLUR to trailer for towing

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 02 Mustang GT, 12 Volt, 22 CCSB F250
Hey everyone, I'm not sure this is the best forum for it, but I guess I'll start here. Mods, please move this thread if you need to.

So I have a 2021 JLUR that we like to take offroading at a park about 60 miles away from home. We always take the top and doors off for the Summer, and running a whole 60 mile trip like that, offroading for a day, then driving home can be a bit tiring. I recently bought a car trailer for some other uses, and I'm thinking we can use it to take the Jeep to the offroad park too. I have a bit of experience tying cars to trailers, but not a ton. The pics show the truck with a 615lb weight sitting directly against the tailgate of the truck, so its a bit misleading as to the effect of the tongue weight. The truck also has Timbren springs in the rear, so that also affects how it looks, but it doesn't seem to mind having the tongue weight in any of these scenarios.

Regardless of how the truck takes the trailer, I want to get some opinions on where to place the JL on the trailer, and how to best tie it down. The weight in the bed will be gone before we do any towing. Its there for counterweight for my snow plow, and we don't take the JL offroad until well after snow season.

What do you guys have for opinions on where the JL should be on the trailer? And please let me know the best way to tie the JL to the trailer.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can lend!!!

back 1.jpg

mid 2.jpg

up 1.jpg
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I prefer wheel tie down straps. No worries about pinching lines around the axles and the suspension is free to move.

As far as where to place the Jeep on the trailer, use a scale to set the correct tongue weight and then mark the trailer where you need to stop the Jeep.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I disagree whole heartedly with the implication that the suspension being free to move is a good thing. Trailer accidents happen from sway 9 times out of 10. The last thing I want is the soft jeep suspension amplifying any movements period. I also don't use straps. Call it overkill, but I use load rated chains around the front frame horns on each side. Loop them through the front tie downs on the trailer and attach them with removable links. Reverse the jeep until the suspension is on the front bump stops. I then use chains around the axle tubes in the rear pulled tight with load binders. I'm 100% sure I could flip the trailer, catch it on fire, and roll it down a hill and the jeep would be right where I put it.
20210612_200200.jpg

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I've used J-Hooks in the frame and hogged it down with heavy duty straps. Then a chain around the axles just in case. In both pictures above I'd move the Jeep back a bit to reduce the tongue weight on the trailer, but my experience is only with 2-Door Jeeps, maybe the F/R weight is different on the 4-Doors.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I usually use ratchet straps from a frame point or off a tow hook, as any movement can cause a weight shift on your trailer, and usually at the worst time. Be careful not to allow them to rub or cut the straps, worst case they make small straps to go over frame rails etc. to minimize that condition, also special chains and hooks for frame holes.

I do sometimes take the extra strap material once tied down and wrap it around the axles of the vehicle on the trailer and back to the trailer tie downs as a secondary fail safe, better safer than out a rig, trailer and Manslaughter charge....

Regards,
Jim

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
No experience with Jeeps on trailers (yet) but when towing our old race car, it was always held down by straps to the frame.

OP
OP

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys.

Powelligator, if you look at my original pics I have the Jeep in 3 different locations on the trailer. Are those the pics you're referring to? I'm thinking the furthest back pic is the best. Your thoughts?

Jmos4... love the Hydro! I wanted Chief Blue, but it was discontinued for Hydro. I like them both, so I'm good with it.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

Pic 1 - the furthest back is where I'd leave it.

OP
OP

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

akajones

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18'. 7k gross rating

jasander77

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Ordered - 2023 4DR Rubicon XR
Hey everyone, I'm not sure this is the best forum for it, but I guess I'll start here. Mods, please move this thread if you need to.

So I have a 2021 JLUR that we like to take offroading at a park about 60 miles away from home. We always take the top and doors off for the Summer, and running a whole 60 mile trip like that, offroading for a day, then driving home can be a bit tiring. I recently bought a car trailer for some other uses, and I'm thinking we can use it to take the Jeep to the offroad park too. I have a bit of experience tying cars to trailers, but not a ton. The pics show the truck with a 615lb weight sitting directly against the tailgate of the truck, so its a bit misleading as to the effect of the tongue weight. The truck also has Timbren springs in the rear, so that also affects how it looks, but it doesn't seem to mind having the tongue weight in any of these scenarios.

Regardless of how the truck takes the trailer, I want to get some opinions on where to place the JL on the trailer, and how to best tie it down. The weight in the bed will be gone before we do any towing. Its there for counterweight for my snow plow, and we don't take the JL offroad until well after snow season.

What do you guys have for opinions on where the JL should be on the trailer? And please let me know the best way to tie the JL to the trailer.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can lend!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to tie down JLUR to trailer for towing 20210612_200200

Jeep Wrangler JL Best way to tie down JLUR to trailer for towing 20210612_200200

Curious to know how the trailer setup is working out? I'm getting close to purchasing a trailer to haul my '23 Hydro JLRU XR 4dr from Texas out west behind my '17 F250. I've narrowed down to Lamar and Rice. Can't decide if I should go 20' or '18. The latter seems it'd be a little tongue heavy? I also don't know much about Rice, but I could get one today. Only thing I don't like is lack of rub rail. Everything else looks very nice.
Sponsored