Sponsored

Trade or keep

Mbrianm31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I sold my Jeep JLU Rubicon a couple months back. Truthfully, I have buyers remorse. I feel like I shouldn't have sold it and long story short I regret it. I now have a 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-road in Army Green, just want opinions. Do you guys think there are people out there willing to trade for the tacoma or am i better off just waiting it out and trading in eventually with a dealership? Sorry if this thread doesn't belong here I figured i would ask the Jeep community, but please feel free to remove this thread if you feel it doesn't.

Thanks
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Taco lovers everywhere. Yes possible.

I had a new 2021 ranger FX4 purchased in March of last year and owned it for 9 months. It’s gone now and I went running back for a Rubicon. That truck was not a good match for me and I found myself feeling I would be MUCH happier back in a wrangler.

Never mind what anyone tells you about resale or $ loss. Try it and see for yourself if the numbers work out. Easy to check how much carvana or vroom will buy it from you with no hassle. And then buy a wrangler at or below invoice from many dealers available and be happy.

End result for me was $2000 cost to own a nice looking truck for 9 months. That’s $222 a month for something to drive. Yes I can afford that.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You could sell that in a heartbeat in today's market. Probably for more than you paid for it.

Is there a Jeep in the area that you're interested in? Otherwise. You're going to be without a vehicle for a few months on a custom order. Something to consider.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been in your exact same situation, albeit in different market conditions.

In 2019 I got rid of my 2018 JKUR Recon with only 8,000 miles. Long story short: I detested my Jeep dealer and was disappointed with that Rubicon.

After a big argument with the service manager over warranty work, in an impulse I drove across the street to the Toyota dealer.

I get hosed on my trade in: I had paid $46,000 for the Jeep; got only $37,000 in trade a few months later. Fortunately, I get a good deal on the Tacoma: MSRP is $42,000; I pay $37,000. So it is “a wash.” The Toyota dealer is several times better than the Jeep dealer.

Six months later I realize I made a mistake. Despite Tacoma’s many virtues and handsome looks, it so happens that the much beloved truck drives like crap. Besides, I dearly miss owning a Jeep Wrangler, crummy dealer and all.

I list the Tacoma on Craigslist for $37,000; it is gone within a week. A guy from Sacramento flies in and takes it home.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade or keep 1642506859670

I have no equity left, but at least I didn’t lose any money on the truck.

Immediately I start looking for a JL. Test drive a whole bunch of them but can’t make up my mind. I don’t want to lose any more money, so I start looking at used ones. Finally, after a couple weeks, I find a used, well-equipped 2018 Sahara with 17,000 miles on Carvana priced well: $26,000. This is late 2019; a couple months before COVID is even a thing.

Put down a $500 deposit and start the online purchase process. Fast forward 10 days: I still haven’t closed the deal. So I finally have enough of their incompetence and cancel the deal.

Completely discouraged I start back from square one.

One afternoon I am going through hundreds of listings on cargurus I’ve already seen many times before. I change one of the search parameters to get more results. I then see a listing that catches my eye: new 2018 Sahara; it has everything I want: V6, auto, Selec-Trac, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, 8.4” & Alpine Audio, Tow Group, painted hardtop, Firecracker red, but is missing leather and LEDs.

MSRP is $50,000; advertised price $38,000! It looks too good to be true. I rub my eyes in disbelief. I contact the dealer; they confirm availability. There’s one catch: the Jeep is sitting at a dealership in Salt Lake City, UT.

I check on Google: it is 1,000 miles from where I am. I check on Kayak.com: it is $67 to fly to SLC, one way. I check for hotel accommodations in Idaho and find rooms for $100.

So I go ahead and give the dealer my SSN and a $500 deposit. I tell them I can be there to pick up the Jeep in two days. They offer to fetch me from the airport.

The rest is now history. They collect me from the airport terminal; drive me to the dealership. The Jeep is washed and ready for the long trip home. Those guys are just great. Forty-five minutes later I am on the road.

Two years and two months later I still have the Jeep and a great story to tell. It has given me zero issues. I added leather seats and LEDs to it, along with a bunch of other things.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trade or keep E47F924A-C45E-42C7-B242-F0D4DB29BFDD

To this day I have no idea why this Jeep sat there unsold for 18 months, or how come no one else saw such amazing deal listed online. I am convinced this Jeep was waiting for me. It was fate!

Goes to show that miracles can happen when you least expect it.

If you can, I’d wait a few months for market conditions to go back to normal. Your Tacoma’s resale is going to hold.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Check vaule on KKB and see how much similar models are going for, check with carvana and Carmax and see what their offers are. Whyd you sell the jeep and buy a Tacoma?
Sponsored