Sponsored

Keep and upgrade my Sahara or trade it in for a Rubicon?

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
@Pro_2a If you haven't already decided upon keeping your Sahara, you should definitely upgrade to the new Rubicon.

Not only will you get to experience the new model year, it's a Rubicon, so it's the best of the best when it comes to Wranglers.

Honestly I look at Rubicon's and Sahara's like this:
-Sahara's are the "luxury" (not really) trim on the Wranglers. You can select all available package options.
-Rubicon's are the top of the line off-road beast with all the same luxury options the Sahara has.

So basically, Sahara's are beneath rubicons. You can have all the same options on a Rubicon and a Sahara. The biggest difference is if you want to upgrade to your vehicle the Rubicon already has half the work done. You don't have to re-gear for 35s, you don't need to put a lift on there, it already comes with one, you get AT or MT tires from the factory, and you get a sway bar disconnect and FRONT AND REAR LOCKERS, which is huge!

Godspeed whatever you choose guy. šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm seriously thinking of slapping Rubicon tires and wheels on my Sahara and calling it a day. Would there be anything else anyone recommends to upgrade just because I'm adding 33" tires? I do go off-roading, but not hard-core offroading.
Get a Flashcal to reprogram your speedometer. There's plenty of other fun things to do with it as well.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm seriously thinking of slapping Rubicon tires and wheels on my Sahara and calling it a day. Would there be anything else anyone recommends to upgrade just because I'm adding 33" tires? I do go off-roading, but not hard-core offroading.
Longer shocks. In my opinion all oem shocks are too short to allow proper suspension travel with the Sahara/sport shocks being the worst. You can add several inches of suspension travel for $400with a simple shock change in your driveway with a smoke socket set. No jack,no pulling tires, just 2 bolts per shock. Bilstein 5100s are a great budget option.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
@Pro_2a If you haven't already decided upon keeping your Sahara, you should definitely upgrade to the new Rubicon.

Not only will you get to experience the new model year, it's a Rubicon, so it's the best of the best when it comes to Wranglers.

Honestly I look at Rubicon's and Sahara's like this:
-Sahara's are the "luxury" (not really) trim on the Wranglers. You can select all available package options.
-Rubicon's are the top of the line off-road beast with all the same luxury options the Sahara has.

So basically, Sahara's are beneath rubicons. You can have all the same options on a Rubicon and a Sahara. The biggest difference is if you want to upgrade to your vehicle the Rubicon already has half the work done. You don't have to re-gear for 35s, you don't need to put a lift on there, it already comes with one, you get AT or MT tires from the factory, and you get a sway bar disconnect and FRONT AND REAR LOCKERS, which is huge!

Godspeed whatever you choose guy. šŸ˜Ž
^^^ this is what Jeep marketers want you to believe.

Stellantis makes the most money the more you spend. So they would be happiest if we all bought $70,000 Rubicons.

The fact is thereā€™s different Wranglers for different uses. A Rubicon is certainly the most capable on big rocks, but it isnā€™t necessarily the best vehicle to take through a good blizzard, and it is overkill on a forest road.

First you need to determine what uses you have our your Wrangler, and decide accordingly.

A Sahara can be better than a Rubicon in the right conditions, but you need to do your mods consciously, because once you start going down that rabbit hole, it is very difficult ā€”and expensiveā€” to reverse.

More importantly, adding lifts, heavy wheels and big tires bring unwanted side-effects to ride quality, handling response and MPG which we, collectively refuse to acknowledge ā€”and discussā€” before spending our money.

Determining how the Jeep will be used is job 1.

Last edited:

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
That was one other reason why I like a Rubicon. My ratio is 3.45.
A little food for thought; I run 35" x 10.5" tires on a 2 door JK with 3.21 axle gears, V6, and 5 speed auto trans getting 18 mpg. The other Wrangler is a whole different rig with 3.73 gears and ecodiesel engine, I may go 38s with the stock gears. Each vehicle performs ok fine with me.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
^^^ this is what Jeep marketers want you to believe.

Stellantis makes the most money the more you spend. So they would be happiest if we all bought $70,000 Rubicons.

The fact is thereā€™s different Wranglers for different uses. A Rubicon is certainly the most capable on big rocks, but it isnā€™t necessarily the best vehicle to take through a good blizzard, and it is overkill on a forest road.

We first need to determine what uses we have our your Wrangler, and decide accordingly.

A Sahara can be better than a Rubicon in the right conditions, but you need to do your mods consciously, because one you start going down that rabbit hole, it is very difficult ā€”and expensiveā€” to reverse.

More importantly, adding lifts, heavy wheels and big tires bring unwanted side-effects in terms of loss in ride quality, handling response and MPG. Jeepers, collectively, prefer to refuse having to discuss any these before spending our money on mods.

Seeing the OP going back-and-forth with indecision, tells me he hasnā€™t yet determined how he plans to use his Jeep. Thatā€™s job 1.
Being that the OP already has the Sahara, your cost argument holds a little water. What people fail to realize is that a base Sahara is only $930 cheaper than a base rubicon. The Sahara will need regeared for anything larger than 33's. The Rubicon won't need regeared until you go 37"+. Buy the XR and you can easily run 37's without a regear. The cost of a regear alone makes the Rubicon the better buy even if you'll never take it off road if you want to run anything larger than stock tires. I find proper speeds and 4wd with good tires to be plenty even in a blizzard, the rear limited doesn't make near the difference some people claim in my experience. The value that comes with better axles, better tires, better gearing, better transfer case, rocker protection, and high clearance fenders is a steal for under $1k difference. Add the auto trans to make them more directly comparable and the Rubicon is still only $3k more than the Sahara. Add the XR package and you're looking at $6500. You'd spend that regearing and adding 35's to the Sahara and still won't have locker, rocker protection, fenders with enough clearance to stuff those 35's without a lift, or a 4-1 transfer case. The Sahara isn't cheaper at all when it comes to 35's in my opinion.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

100% swap out your tires for a set of rubicons. and try and pick up a set of take off springs from a rubicon. this should net you about 1.75" of lift as long as you get the springs from someone with a hard top.... and get a set of JKS manual disconnects. simple to install in just 20 mins. This seems like it will get you in the ball park of where you want for now. the 8 speed auto should handle the 33" tires for a little while you wait to save for a regear. This will also allow you to figure out what you like about your jeep and if you Need to go bigger or want to go bigger on the lift and tires that way you can figure out what gear ratio will be best... typically 4.10's for 33's 4.56 for 35's and 4.88 for 37's is what i Personally recommend. Plenty of power at each level.

also you could get take off rubicon axles... I would go with a set from the 392 as there are CV joint axles like the stock Sahara axles since both are full time 4wd. not sure if you would have any issues with you went with a standard rubicon rock trac style axle. seeming they have the axle disconnect. maybe someone can chime in on that

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
would go with a set from the 392 as there are CV joint axles like the stock Sahara axles since both are full time 4wd.
That's only if you have the Selec-trak.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
The other thing to keep in mind, it's easy to get carried away.

A TJ with open differentials and 31s will get up and down blue trails.

All wranglers are very capable. Go get it dirty and go from there.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

That's only if you have the Selec-trak.
Thats the one piece i couldnt remember. I thought all the Saharas had selec trak

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thats the one piece i couldnt remember. I thought all the Saharas had selec trak
That would have been a nice to have since I bought the Jeep for winter weather. But I didn't even see anything with selec trak for months after I bought mine.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Selec-Trac is optional on Sahara, Willys and Sport. It was standard on Moab, which was a special edition Sahara

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
That was one other reason why I like a Rubicon. My ratio is 3.45.
My answer is is the juice worth the squeeze. If you really want the ruby and willing to pay 10grand difference in what you currently have and can afford it do it

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Pros for each. Being new and not knowing the difference I started with a Sahara. It would probably have been cheaper and way easier to start with a Rubicon, but I've also learned alot along the way.

GearGoat

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unlimited 4dr
An interesting thread and in truth I have battled the exact same question as the OP. BUTā€¦ I bought a 2022 KTM 890 Adventure R, so a similar beast to a Rubicon but on 2 wheels (that I have completely modded) so finances have shifted, but now I am back to contemplating what do with my Sahara Unlimited. I already did the Rubi wheels and suspension but really like the look of 35ā€™sā€¦
Sponsored