Sponsored

Towing with D Ring? LOD D ring question as well.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Ok, I have read all of the warnings against towing with the front bumper. Do not want to rehash that. What I am trying to figure out is if the LOD D rings are welded all the way through? I see that the Poison Spyder D rings are, but I can't tell if the LOD ones are. I currently have an ACE front bumper. The D rings are welded to the face plate. I was planning on adding in the LOD frame supports (even though the 2021's have some already on them) and calling it a day. From what I can tell, that is the only thing that is different about the LOD bumper vs the ACE.

I have to think that the loads put on a single D ring mount when pulling a Jeep out of the mud or over a rock are more than using a proper tow bar attached to both D rings... I towed an old CJ off the D rings and never thought twice about it.

My plan is to tow behind a 2022 Seneca or Entegra 37M super c that will tow at least 12k so no weight worries. Using a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar and brake buddy.
Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Lod d ring points are welded front and rear. There is also a reinforcement plate behind the d ring point.

LOD and Rock Hard 4x4 both support flat towing with their bumpers, as they designed the, to handle the pulling & pushing forces that can be applied in a flat tow situation.

i would suggest talking with ACE to see if they support it.

the big factors as i see it:
How are the tow points attached to the bumper
Is the bumper reinforced at the mounting points.
How does the bumper mount to the Jeep. (My rock hard 4x4 patriot front bumper attaches to the frame, not just the thin bumper mounting plates. I also installed the LOD frame tie in brackets that further reinforce the attachment, as well as giving me the rings for my safety cables)

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Lod d ring points are welded front and rear. There is also a reinforcement plate behind the d ring point.

LOD and Rock Hard 4x4 both support flat towing with their bumpers, as they designed the, to handle the pulling & pushing forces that can be applied in a flat tow situation.

i would suggest talking with ACE to see if they support it.

the big factors as i see it:
How are the tow points attached to the bumper
Is the bumper reinforced at the mounting points.
How does the bumper mount to the Jeep. (My rock hard 4x4 patriot front bumper attaches to the frame, not just the thin bumper mounting plates. I also installed the LOD frame tie in brackets that further reinforce the attachment, as well as giving me the rings for my safety cables)
ACE does not recommend towing. I have ordered the Maximus 3 tow brackets and will have to see how much I have to hack up the ACE bumper to make them work. I like the ACE bumper more tahn anything the other two companies make. The ACE is a good 5-6 inches narrower than the LOD bumper. The other problem I am finding with towing from higher up off of the D rings on any bumper is that I then have to have a raised hitch coming from the motorhome. The Maximus 3 brackets put the attachment point almost level with the motorhome.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
FWIW I towed my TJ from the D ring mounts with no issues. I have the LOD front bumper and tie in plates and plan to do the same. I use a raised hitch.
Sponsored