KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
My JLUR didn't come with the tow package so I put that all on. Hitch is off my 2017 JKUS, wiring harness is from Mopar. The Mopar 7-way harness is a nice kit and worth the ching. It takes awhile to install. I am using a proportional brake controller that I installed.
winter.jpg
I went with the Curt Spectrum controller, and am quite happy with it:
48919485301_aa7a1a9ba2_h.jpg
Was just looking at this one on etrailer.

What's up with the wireless one by Curt? The "echo".

Looks legit to me...any input on the wireless controller?

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Cont...nlimited/2018/C51180.html?VehicleID=201883305
Sponsored

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
The power wire is in the seven-pin plug with the Max Tow package, but as was mentioned you need a brake controller.

I use the Prodigy P3 brake controller. The company provided me with a Jeep compatible harness time test. It required a diode to prevent electrical feedback when you apply the brakes. I’m not sure they have put it on the market yet. Apparently the harness for the RAM truck has the diode, but two of the wires need to be switched (there are YouTube videos on the process.) This unit works great, but the controller itself is difficult to position in a good spot.

If I was doing it again, I would investigate the RedArc unit. There is a YouTube from a Jeeper who installed one.
Wondering your thoughts on the Curt Echo.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Cont...nlimited/2018/C51180.html?VehicleID=201883305

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I looked at that one too but went with the Insight proportional. Seems to work fine for me
This looks interesting to me, but I'm not sure it is worth changing from my P3. I like how there is no interference with your knee.

The P3 has a lever for manual application of the brakes. I use this for helping to slow the rig going down a hill when I allow the gearing to brake the Jeep, but don't want the trailer pushing me. Can you do the same thing with the Insight controller?

Sponsored

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I went with the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. I wanted that clean factory look without something for my knee to bang on. It will be here today, hopefully I can get installed this weekend.

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I went with the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite. I wanted that clean factory look without something for my knee to bang on. It will be here today, hopefully I can get installed this weekend.
Keep us posted on install

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
It should be the same as the JT install shown earlier in this thread, but I will report my findings

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is a photo of the location of my Prodigy P3 controller. Still plenty of knee room (I'm 5'10"), but it would better with a small head unit like the RedArc or the Curt. I do, however, like have the lever on the P3 to be able to apply braking to the trailer alone if needed.

IMG_1866.jpg

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
Here is a photo of the location of my Prodigy P3 controller. Still plenty of knee room (I'm 5'10"), but it would better with a small head unit like the RedArc or the Curt. I do, however, like have the lever on the P3 to be able to apply braking to the trailer alone if needed.

IMG_1866.jpg
Was at camper dealership wrapping up some paperwork for camper.....your controller is the exact model I bought. Ordered the adapter direct from Tekonsha(be here next week).

....plenty of room where you mounted it - is where I'm going mount mine.

Sponsored

Maverick18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport

IMG_1866.jpg
The RedArc can apply manual braking by pushing the rotary knob

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This looks interesting to me, but I'm not sure it is worth changing from my P3. I like how there is no interference with your knee.

The P3 has a lever for manual application of the brakes. I use this for helping to slow the rig going down a hill when I allow the gearing to brake the Jeep, but don't want the trailer pushing me. Can you do the same thing with the Insight controller?

https://www.reesehitches.com/produc...xGWJfB8BfIJ8ec9CzhfBrkT4XsGj1Q5BoCQHwQAvD_BwE

The Insight brake controller has 3 basic components. The brain box, which I mounted on the heater enclosure forward of the glove box door, the display, which I mounted in the small cubby where the aux switches would go and a manual slider that I mounted on the right side of the steering column. The peripherals just plug into the brain using what look like phone jack/ethernet plugs. All of the parts simply stick on with 3M double sided tape. You need to be creative running the wiring, but what's new? So far, I really like it. It's perhaps not as aggressive as I'd like but that may be attributed to the angle I mounted the control module. In any case, it's working well for me and I REALLY like that it's out of the way and tidy. I also wired the trigger circuit (run from the 3rd brake light wire) through a switch on my overhead console so I can control activation when offroad. That prevents the trailer from sliding sideways down a greasy sidehill when brakes are applied. By switching the trigger wire instead of the power wire, I can still activate the trailer brakes manually with the slider. I've found that to work great in sketchy downhills.
console.jpg.jpg

OP
OP
KnG818

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
@KnG818 I'm looking at travel trailers now. That camper is bad@ss looking!! Did you get the optional toilet/ shower? Where does it fit in?
Actually I ended up buying the Rockwood 2514F.

$13,500 was purchase.

It has outside shower hookup so I'm going to get a shower tent for outside. Toilet is honestly for emergency or when out in the middle of nowhere, will use site facilities for restroom most of the time.

I will add, however, the weight dry is appx 2700 and tongue 290. Thought my Rubicon would easily handle it(and it does power wise) but she sags quite a bit when trailering(ass end down, nose of trailer down). Anyone know how to fix or address that?

Otherwise awesome freaking popup.

See attached link.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2020...om-expandable-trailer-floorplan-2514f-tr45465
Sponsored